Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Say what you will about Johns but he’s done a lot of great work plugging new energy (and marketability) into some classic DC properties.

I’d say Green Lantern 1st as that book ruled the world in the 2000s.

2. JSA - best run ever and made the Golden Age team important in the DCU again. Plus it helped to revamp Black Adam who has become an incredibly big part of the DCU and has a solo flick on the way.
    3. Aquaman - the character still had a bit of the negative stigma before that run. Johns had Aquaman out selling Spider-Man and it was a huge influence on the movie.

For me personally, I’d put Legion of Superheroes pretty high up on list just because his Superman and the Legion of Superheroes storyline is one of my favorite comics. Perfectly captured the essence of the LoS and was also a damn good Superman story.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

OK, here's my top 10. Although I really loved his Flash work (with Wally - his Barry stuff was very average) I didn't include it as I don't consider it a revamp.
    Until now, I had no idea just how much great stuff he'd been involved with!

10. Stargirl
    9. Teen Titans
    8. Shazam
    7. Hawkman
    6. Mera
    5. Vibe
    4. Black Adam
    3. Aquaman
    2. Green Lantern
    1. JSA
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Really? That’s cool that his work got you in that zone.

Which cartoons?
    As a kid all I really had was the rare Super Friends cameo...:

...so, not a lot!
    DCAU, mainly JL/JLU, and the occasional odd episode of Super Friends we had on DVD.

JSA is a mixed bag.

When they say JSA rebirth... they specifically call out that he restarted a new volume with a new team AFTER a successful 80+ issue run. Honestly speaking... that rebirth SUCKED. It was the post OYL where they were scrapping the bottom of the barrel for legacies to be the 'new' rookies while characters like Stargirl and Jakeem Thunder were the new mentors and the old mentors are just background if that.

Johns deserves a lot of praise for the FIRST run that was an insane success... It was started by Robinson but he did the lions share of that volume... but the OYL crew is pretty much when I stopped reading. When characters like Jay, Alan, Wildcat Hawkman are all benched for cahracters like a new Captain Steel and Judomaster... Ughhh...

Remember it's the volume that put Alan in THIS...

Now the first JSA run... one of my favorites of all time... but the rebirth??? I actually rank it lower than Superboy Prime.

Mighty Member

The ones that had a memorable impact on me were

Green Lantern (Obviously)
    Justice Society of America (It was fantastic)
    Hawkman (I think he put Hawkman of his first solid lengthy run)

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    https://www.newsarama.com/27970-top-...-johns.html#s1

10. Superboy Prime
    9. Hawkman
    8. Justice Society of America
    7. Teen Titans
    6. Kid Flash/Bart Allen
    5. Superboy/Kon-El/Conner Kent
    4. Legion of Super Heroes
    3. Flash/Barry Allen
    2. Green Lantern/Hal Jordan
    1. The DC Universe
    Not a bad list, but I think it's missing one - the Flash rogues. Admittedly I haven't read anything of Johns' since Flashpoint, but here are my top 5:

5. Sinestro
    4. The Rogues
    3. Hawkman
    2. JSA
    1. Green Lantern

Extraordinary Member

No Booster Gold?

Haven't read the article, but if by "DC Universe" they mean DC Rebirth I'll disagree. It was pretty mediocre across the board despite all of the good things going for it.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    The JSA should be waaaaaaaaaaayyyyy higher on this list. It was one of DC's top selling books when it was on the shelf under him.
    Agreed. That was largely his best, most solid, and complete work.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    No Booster Gold?
    Yeah!!! that was a character that was legitimately 'fixed' in my eyes under Johns. Never liked the goofy idiot that JLI gave us, but that series (and 52) actually took him serious and gave him some depth!! Still not one of my favorites, but I read a LOT of those! Love a good time travel story!

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Agreed. That was largely his best, most solid, and complete work.
    But does he get credit for 'rebirthing' it? It was running almost a year before he took it over? A lot of the modernizing and updating was already done by then. I'm still disappointed in the way he helped bring and actual competent AWESOME Doc Midnite back into the JSA... gave him about 4-5 awesome appearances... and then just benched him to work in a lab doing autopsies and not much else.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Yeah!!! that was a character that was legitimately 'fixed' in my eyes under Johns. Never liked the goofy idiot that JLI gave us, but that series (and 52) actually took him serious and gave him some depth!! Still not one of my favorites, but I read a LOT of those! Love a good time travel story!

But does he get credit for 'rebirthing' it? It was running almost a year before he took it over? A lot of the modernizing and updating was already done by then. I'm still disappointed in the way he helped bring and actual competent AWESOME Doc Midnite back into the JSA... gave him about 4-5 awesome appearances... and then just benched him to work in a lab doing autopsies and not much else.
    It was the sixth that Geoff came in and took over for Robinson.
    But Geoff was still co-writing the book with Goyer.

I think some characters resonated with Goyer more than Geoff. Goyer liked Dr Mid-Nite and Sand. But Geoff liked guys like Mr Terrific and Black Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    That was him?
    Yeah, that happened in the "Day of Judgement" event that Johns wrote. Most people forget about it because it was before he was a "name" writer.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Remember it's the volume that put Alan in THIS...

In his defense, that was after he had left the book.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Extraordinary Member

Powergirl is another character he “rebirthed.”

Basically re-introducing her alternate universe Kryptonian heritage. Making her the last survivor of “Earth 2” post-Crisis. Using Pyscho-Pirate as her villain. Reestablishing her bonds with Kal-L.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    OK, here's my top 10. Although I really loved his Flash work (with Wally - his Barry stuff was very average) I didn't include it as I don't consider it a revamp.
    Until now, I had no idea just how much great stuff he'd been involved with!

10. Stargirl
    9. Teen Titans
    8. Shazam
    7. Hawkman
    6. Mera
    5. Vibe
    4. Black Adam
    3. Aquaman
    2. Green Lantern
    1. JSA
    Really like your list. Stargirl is one of my absolute favorite DC characters and I can't wait for her show to premier this week!
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    DCAU, mainly JL/JLU, and the occasional odd episode of Super Friends we had on DVD.
    Hey, you got the good stuff!