Page 31 of 99 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334354181 ... LastLast

Funny thing they kept-and still keep-the Miranda around.

Interestingly I think that originally Stargazer was going to be a constitution class (So they could reuse the Enterprise model) meaning they'd be still be around at least a decade before TNG.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Incredible Member

I did notice Ethan Peck has definitely been hitting the gym. Nimoy and Quinto are more skinny-nerdy built. If Spock was fully human one would expect Kirk to be able to kick his ass. But Peck looks like he could beat up Anson Mount, no green-blooded superpowers required.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I was less bugged by the notion of discontinuity, since that's always been a bit squiffy, as the idea that Gorn are some sort of Aliens-style xenomorphs that lay eggs in people that eat their way out, or whatever weirdness happened with the vaguely rape-y/cannibal-y sounding backstory from La'an. Other Trek shows have indicated that Gorn are kinda no biggy in the Trek future, with McCoy mentioning delivering some Gorn babies in one of the Kelvin-verse movies, and Gorn wandering around as tourists on some planet Mariner Becket is visiting in Lower Decks. (Neither of which are canon for *this* show, obviously!)
    In Arena, the Federation knows almost nothing about the Gorn besides their name. But here they have detailed accounts of a previous attacks on colonies.
    Moreover, the Gorn modus operandi is so horrific and savage that now I'm thinking Kirk really should have finished off the Gorn Captain after blasting him with a diamond gun. They're sadistic monsters! Which is the exact opposite of what Arena was trying to say.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Wonder if we'll see George Sr. or Winonna. Be fun if they could get Hemsworth to do a cameo although given that trying to get him in 4 might've been one of the reasons for it being in development hell, maybe not.
    Amanda Grayson was played by Mia Kirshner in DISCO so I would expect that's who they'll get if she appears. She's gotta be way cheaper than Winona. (Hmm...do they still do 'phrasing' in the 23rd Century?)

Boisterously Confused

You know what occurred to me? This is the first Trek pilot since "Where No Man Has Gone Before" that didn't feature a space battle. Yes, the Enterprise got shot at, but that was it. In some ways, that's what made it feel more early Trek to me, as opposed to the heavy militarization that seemed to overtake the franchise from late-TNG on.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    You know what occurred to me? This is the first Trek pilot since "Where No Man Has Gone Before" that didn't feature a space battle. Yes, the Enterprise got shot at, but that was it. In some ways, that's what made it feel more early Trek to me, as opposed to the heavy militarization that seemed to overtake the franchise from late-TNG on.
    Enterprise shot at Q's energy-net-thing in "Encounter at Farpoint", but I wouldn't really call that a battle either.
    I don't remember any space stuff in the "Picard" pilot.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Funny thing they kept-and still keep-the Miranda around.

Interestingly I think that originally Stargazer was going to be a constitution class (So they could reuse the Enterprise model) meaning they'd be still be around at least a decade before TNG.
    You are correct about Stargazer Kirk even had a Silver Constitution Class Model in his ready room during season 1 which was replaced by a Gold Constellation Class Model after "The Battle".

Now we know the real world reasons for the use of the Models it was a money saver, but I have my personal head canon to explain these.

War and External Threats led to the need for new technology. Between the duel threats of the Borg and the Dominon Starfleet designed more new vessels in the last 30 years of the 24th Century than the 100 years before.

Starfleet was regularly using Exclesiors (Deep Space Exploration), Miranda/Soyuz (Border Patrol and short range mission like survey missions), Oberth (Science Missions), and some Constellation Classes (Jack of all Trade) in the 24th century. But why no Constitution? Simple Excelsior Class served the same purpose and were a larger more advance design.

Now Oberth got replaced by Novas, Miranda/Soyuz eventually by Akira, Steamrunner, & Norway, and Constellation by Nebula.

Also the Galaxy and Sovereign are definitely the joint successors of the Excelsiors and many were build especially of the Galaxy Class going by the Dominion War Fleet shots. So why have Excelsiors in the 25th Century? Simple many Excelsiors and Miranda/Soyuz were put back into service during the Dominion War to help fill the ranks in the war. I imagine post war most Miranda/Soyuz were mothballed. But why keep and upgrade Excelsiors?

The Miranda/Soyuz were only good for short range missions while the Excelsiors can do any type of mission from Short Range stuff like Survey's, Supple Runs, Transportation of personnel and civilians, or Border Patrol to Long Range Explortion. Their well armed unlike Novas, easy to build unlike Intrepids with their experimental tech like Bio Gel Packs and other advance systems many new ships have. Excelsiors are easy to build and upkeep and are proven work horses that only need minor upgrades over the passage of time. They're the Jeep of Starfleet.

I also have a theory behind the Warp 4 Franklin Class from Star Trek Beyond. Why build a Warp 4 engine after jumping from 3 to 5? Well during the Romulan War Starfleet needed a ship faster than their Warp 3 vessels and less complicated to build than the NX Class and came up with the Franklin which could be built faster but not handle a War 5 engine. The Liberty Ship of Starfleet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    I did notice Ethan Peck has definitely been hitting the gym. Nimoy and Quinto are more skinny-nerdy built. If Spock was fully human one would expect Kirk to be able to kick his ass. But Peck looks like he could beat up Anson Mount, no green-blooded superpowers required.

In Arena, the Federation knows almost nothing about the Gorn besides their name. But here they have detailed accounts of a previous attacks on colonies.
    Moreover, the Gorn modus operandi is so horrific and savage that now I'm thinking Kirk really should have finished off the Gorn Captain after blasting him with a diamond gun. They're sadistic monsters! Which is the exact opposite of what Arena was trying to say.

Amanda Grayson was played by Mia Kirshner in DISCO so I would expect that's who they'll get if she appears. She's gotta be way cheaper than Winona. (Hmm...do they still do 'phrasing' in the 23rd Century?)
    I mean Wynonna Kirk, Jim and Sam's mother.

BANNED

Just saw it and I am happy to report that I am extremely pleased with what I saw!
    The new Uhura is so cute and enjoyable, so different than that sanctimonious crone of the Kelvin Timeline.
    Ethan Peck while he is not Leonard Nimoy's level, he gives a very familiar version of Spock. Way much better than the Hulk bookleg version of the J-J trilogy.
    I have to admit though... Impressive six pack. ;p
    I also liked Chapel and the doctor. Both of them have a good chemistry together.
    Captain Pike IS the Enterprise captain of the 23d century in MY eyes (never liked Kirk, especially the Shatner version).
    If Trekkies are not pleased with SNW, I honestly do not know what will please them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    You are correct about Stargazer Kirk even had a Silver Constitution Class Model in his ready room during season 1 which was replaced by a Gold Constellation Class Model after "The Battle".

Now we know the real world reasons for the use of the Models it was a money saver, but I have my personal head canon to explain these.

War and External Threats led to the need for new technology. Between the duel threats of the Borg and the Dominon Starfleet designed more new vessels in the last 30 years of the 24th Century than the 100 years before.

Starfleet was regularly using Exclesiors (Deep Space Exploration), Miranda/Soyuz (Border Patrol and short range mission like survey missions), Oberth (Science Missions), and some Constellation Classes (Jack of all Trade) in the 24th century. But why no Constitution? Simple Excelsior Class served the same purpose and were a larger more advance design.

Now Oberth got replaced by Novas, Miranda/Soyuz eventually by Akira, Steamrunner, & Norway, and Constellation by Nebula.

Also the Galaxy and Sovereign are definitely the joint successors of the Excelsiors and many were build especially of the Galaxy Class going by the Dominion War Fleet shots. So why have Excelsiors in the 25th Century? Simple many Excelsiors and Miranda/Soyuz were put back into service during the Dominion War to help fill the ranks in the war. I imagine post war most Miranda/Soyuz were mothballed. But why keep and upgrade Excelsiors?

The Miranda/Soyuz were only good for short range missions while the Excelsiors can do any type of mission from Short Range stuff like Survey's, Supple Runs, Transportation of personnel and civilians, or Border Patrol to Long Range Explortion. Their well armed unlike Novas, easy to build unlike Intrepids with their experimental tech like Bio Gel Packs and other advance systems many new ships have. Excelsiors are easy to build and upkeep and are proven work horses that only need minor upgrades over the passage of time. They're the Jeep of Starfleet.

I also have a theory behind the Warp 4 Franklin Class from Star Trek Beyond. Why build a Warp 4 engine after jumping from 3 to 5? Well during the Romulan War Starfleet needed a ship faster than their Warp 3 vessels and less complicated to build than the NX Class and came up with the Franklin which could be built faster but not handle a War 5 engine. The Liberty Ship of Starfleet.

Also I guess with the Klingons gradually becoming less of a threat might've been a factor too. TUC seems to imply starfleet was going to become less aggressive (Dismantling some defense starbases, focusing on the exploration) although there's still of course some threats between TUC and TNG (There's a war with the Cardassians for example that O' Brien was involved in, and apparently which also led to the final schism between Spock and Sarek)

There is something bugging me about Singh and now I know what it is.

It's not the continuity issues, once you introduce Burnham you can get use to anything. It's the fact that the look of the character is taken from Camina Drummer from The Expanse.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Still have a bit of a theory that maybe she's from a second group of Eugenics Wars outcasts (including possible relatives of Khan) who were discovered by the Gorn instead of the Federation. Also the names of the ships are similar (Famous bodies of water).
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 05-12-2022 at 06:05 AM.

Watching some of the shots/angles of the comet, anybody else think it's a bit of a DS9 homage there?

Also the new EV suits seem to be a mix of the Discovery and "Tholian Web" versions.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 05-12-2022 at 06:29 AM.

So just started episode 2 and literally just 3 minutes in, I can already tell what the difference is in this show compared to Disco and Picard. They made Star Trek fun again. The characters actually enjoy being in Starfleet. There's no looming end of the world threat or dystopian war setting or sense of despair. Just a sense of discovery and wonder, paired with some good action.

Also, Nichelle Nichols is definitely playing Uhuru's grandmother at some point.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    So just started episode 2 and literally just 3 minutes in, I can already tell what the difference is in this show compared to Disco and Picard. They made Star Trek fun again. The characters actually enjoy being in Starfleet. There's no looming end of the world threat or dystopian war setting or sense of despair. Just a sense of discovery and wonder, paired with some good action.

At this point I'm inclined to agree. I say that as someone who has largely enjoyed the Kurtzman era of streaming Trek (whatever it ends up being collectively known as).

I was really impressed with the tightness and circular nature of the story at hand in this "bottle show". The issue of the comet and how it spoke to Pike's knowing of the future. Also how one might misinterpret what you think you are seeing.
    Consider me fully impressed by Celia Gooding (Uhrua). Playing a legacy character is tough, especially a main player and the story served her well as she acted it out of the ballpark I feel.
    Her portrayal thus far, I know it is early, feels like a cadet who will be coming into her own and if the writers don't botch it be the Uhrua that is seen in OG TOS I suspect.
    Likewise, Nurse Chapel feels, ahem, alien to me in the same two episodes. Granted she hasn't had a spotlight episode but they(writers) have already demonstrated they want Chapel to behave like an action star and not a nurse.

Mount, Peck and Romijn are just brilliant but we knew that from DISCO season 2, they just continue it here.

In addition the bottle shows, if they continue like this, as Trek does, allows for us to spotlight characters. This is going to be especially true of the newer bridge crew. We may actually get a chance to know them versus the DISCO model of a long drawn out arc where I can still hardly name more than 4-5 characters. Even still the names I recall are cause they annoy me, aka Adira.
    Last edited by Captain Craig; 05-12-2022 at 08:14 AM.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post

I would hope so, but unfortunately, the woman is suffering from dementia, so we don't know if she'll be up for it.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    I would hope so, but unfortunately, the woman is suffering from dementia, so we don't know if she'll be up for it.
    Oh, I didn't know that. Maybe just a photo of her then?