Page 37 of 99 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940414787 ... LastLast

Kind of curious about the next one-seems to be "the crew comes down with some crazy space virus" type of episode.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I'm glad the vast majority of you are being reasonable in response to this talk about Celia Rose Gooding's appearance, which seems based on the pushback modern Trek has for being 'too liberal'. Yeah, so she's bi and goes by they/she. And? I think she's cute as a button no matter what hair style she has, and she isn't being butchified or whatever. Short hair =/= sexy? Hi, Kira/Intendent! How about no hair? Hi, Lieutenant Ilia!
    Anyhoo... Back to the show!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Kind of curious about the next one-seems to be "the crew comes down with some crazy space virus" type of episode.
    Is it? Cool. I didn't see previews beyond the transporter scene. Keep hitting the one-and-dones like the first two episodes and I'll be happy. And we've got a holodeck malfunction-esque episode coming up, too, complete with fancy dress and the crew having to act and interact in a world out of their control.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Not sure if we'll get a holodeck thing. They caused the system failures that led to Pike having to switch over to Discovery so they were removed. There is some basic hologram tech at the time on Discovery (prior to it's later jump to the future, that is) with training programs and communications, but nothing as sophisticated as the TNG holodeck.

In a few ways The Cage could be considered an episode with an illusory world though.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Not sure if we'll get a holodeck thing. They caused the system failures that led to Pike having to switch over to Discovery so they were removed. There is some basic hologram tech at the time on Discovery (prior to it's later jump to the future, that is) with training programs and communications, but nothing as sophisticated as the TNG holodeck.
    In a few ways The Cage could be considered an episode with an illusory world though.
    Like I said: holodeck malfunction-esque. It looks like all the usual tropes for such an episode but it could be caused by anything: telepathic pitcher plants, dreaming aliens, strange objects in comets warping matter and minds...
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    Agreed, Also, stating that SNW Uhura is not feminine seems to be heavily projecting Eurocentric ideals of beauty and feminism as the only acceptable version of those. It's a very problematic argument.
    Yeah, it seems pretty disgusting to claim that Celia Rose Gooding isn't portrayed as being attractive.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

We just got a sentient planet projecting hidden wants onto the crew of Prodigy.

Wonder what the spin will be on this one?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post

How we are even having a debate where Chapel is seen as ''hotter'' than Uhura is just unbelievable and I think this writers may have done it on purpose, making Uhura look so masculine and butch on this show, same with the other girls.

I have seen comments here on this thread that said Uhura looks like a superficial lesbian serotype. which is something that I disagreed with but now it may be adding up. Ceelia Gooding is bi sexual and non binary. So I do wonder now if Celia Gooding been a non binary person that goes by (she/they) is having an influence on the way Uhura is styled on this show.
    Every part of this comment is shallow and sexist, and your assessment of Celia Gooding as "butch" is both offensive and, arguably, deeply rooted in racist tropes. Please just stop.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Just watched the latest episode and I really enjoyed the focus on Una and Doctor M'Benga. Strange New Worlds really does continue to knock it out of the park.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Astonishing Member

To me this show is great Star Trek. My only complaint is Pikes hair is to Poofy.

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds Season 1, Episode 3, "Ghosts of Illyria," Recap & Spoilers
    https://www.cbr.com/star-trek-strang...n-1-episode-3/

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Skip my post if SPOILERS are not for you. Short post but details within.

I did not see the reveal of Number One (Una) being an alien.
    They then pulled the Bashir card with her. Difference being Julian didn't actually know he was lying on his Starfleet Entrance Exam, Una did.
    This begs the question then of just how radically can Illyrians look then? Are they always so human looking and are her internal organs OR was that part of her tinkering? This episode we have Illyrians who are basically energy creatures living in an ION cloud.

They also used this as as way to address and confirm lineage of La'an to Khan vs leaving it ambiguous all season.

M'Benga has his own secret to hide. Una is going to help him in that area in a "pay it forward" manner than Pike has with her. Speaking of Pike I get the feeling that since he knows his destiny(up to a point) he's going to be more willing to be cavalier at times, daring in places that might hold another Captain back.

Hemmer is growing on me as a character I like. SNW is the first time we've heard of Aenar? Is that right? Or are they a cousin species that was name dropped once along the way and never spoke of again. I mean until ST:ENT the Andorians got little coverage. OR are the Aenar a creation for this show so that the Showrunners can work around continuity issues with the Andorians? Not that Continuity bothers them(just ignore Times Arrow on Picard).

This show has given me more info and background on the crew without ignoring the episodic issue than 4 seasons of DISCO gave me about its crew.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Number One being not quite human has actually been semi-canon for a while now. Think it first cropped up in the couple of TOS novels set during the Pike era. Recently I'm pretty sure it was brought up in THE ENTERPRISE WAR which was a prequel to Discovery season 2, in which her alien biology and mental abilities allowed her to communicate with the crab aliens who were wound up in a massive cultural misunderstanding with another alien race. (Not all that different from Discovery's last season 10-Cs)

There's also a makeup test for the Cage but it's kind of unclear whether they wanted to do this with Number One or she was just doing it as some kind of favor to Gene?

https://twitter.com/trekcore/status/1109272148500271104

Also many of Number One's persona (being somewhat cold, logical and aloof at times) was eventually transferred to Spock.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Skip my post if SPOILERS are not for you. Short post but details within.

I did not see the reveal of Number One (Una) being an alien.
    They then pulled the Bashir card with her. Difference being Julian didn't actually know he was lying on his Starfleet Entrance Exam, Una did.
    This begs the question then of just how radically can Illyrians look then? Are they always so human looking and are her internal organs OR was that part of her tinkering? This episode we have Illyrians who are basically energy creatures living in an ION cloud.

They also used this as as way to address and confirm lineage of La'an to Khan vs leaving it ambiguous all season.

M'Benga has his own secret to hide. Una is going to help him in that area in a "pay it forward" manner than Pike has with her. Speaking of Pike I get the feeling that since he knows his destiny(up to a point) he's going to be more willing to be cavalier at times, daring in places that might hold another Captain back.

Hemmer is growing on me as a character I like. SNW is the first time we've heard of Aenar? Is that right? Or are they a cousin species that was name dropped once along the way and never spoke of again. I mean until ST:ENT the Andorians got little coverage. OR are the Aenar a creation for this show so that the Showrunners can work around continuity issues with the Andorians? Not that Continuity bothers them(just ignore Times Arrow on Picard).

This show has given me more info and background on the crew without ignoring the episodic issue than 4 seasons of DISCO gave me about its crew.
    Aenar were introduced in Enterprise season 4, in the episode titled "The Aenar". Shran eventually marries one of the Aenar from the episode.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    TNG heavily implied Spock was married by the time Sarek guest stared on the show. I am thinking that was Savvik and when we last see him, in the Kelvin films, he is all alone. So it is cannon to say when it comes to love ,Spock died a lonely man. Although I would have been curious to see Spock's reaction to the fact that the Kelvin timeline Spock and Uhura are deeply involved.

However as I said, Chapel's infatuation/like/love with spock seems to have started with a Bang on SNW. I thought that would have developed a lot more smoothly, the only reason this may have happened is that, the writers would want to use that kind of story more with another love interest of Spock, which would and should likely be Uhura.

As for Chapel in SNW, so far I am mixed on her character. people seem to be talking about how hot she looks, which is fine, just wish the other girls on the show were styled to look as hot as her, including such an iconic character like Uhura, who was indeed know for her hotness and beauty. Something Spock does tell her (though under influence but still a true comment) Still a good hint that spock/uhura should have been a couple.

Spock to Uhura: Whose name means freedom, she walks in beauty like the night.

How we are even having a debate where Chapel is seen as ''hotter'' than Uhura is just unbelievable and I think this writers may have done it on purpose, making Uhura look so masculine and butch on this show, same with the other girls. They all gave them over the top tom boys looks, Chapel is the only young girl on the show that looks the most feminine in the traditional definition of the word and I am not happy about that because Uhura was such an iconic womanly sexy feminine character, you never guessed her gender. I am more pissed that they have stripped that away than who she dates to be honest.

I have seen comments here on this thread that said Uhura looks like a superficial lesbian serotype. which is something that I disagreed with but now it may be adding up. Ceelia Gooding is bi sexual and non binary. So I do wonder now if Celia Gooding been a non binary person that goes by (she/they) is having an influence on the way Uhura is styled on this show.
    Not sure what we're talking about here. I don't remember any implication that Spock was marred by the time Sarek appeared on TNG. But, I was referring to TOS, where Spock and T'Pring met once as children and we're mind bonded, then, never met again until "Amok Time" when Spock went into Ponn Farr. Of course, if he was 40+ at the time, that should have been around his fifth Ponn Farr.
    Power with Girl is better.

Picard said he went to the wedding of Sarek's son. Although there a few other possibilities:

-Magically ressurected Sybok somehow
    -Second Adopted child
    -Son with Perrin, his second wife.

There's also a weird fan theory that it's Saavik's son with Spock from their Genesis pon far (alluded to in Star Trek IV's script but deleted from the movie) who Sarek raised as his own son somehow.

BTW anybody think there's a possible crossover potential with shows set later in the timeline with post-Menagerie Pike somehow? The Starfleet Academy comics, for example, had him still alive in his illusion body during the Dominion War. Only problem is he'd be stuck on Talos IV.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Star_...cademy_Vol_1_9
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 05-19-2022 at 06:26 PM.