Page 49 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Kind of interesting that he of course later did a variation of Angel's plot later on but less violently and with a totally different end goal. Plus I'm guessing we might see more of her later on if they develop this plotline further. Also wouldn't be surprised if we saw Sarek and Amanda show up at some point.

Maybe make her a bit like this series' Mudd? I mean we had Mudd in Discovery but I'm pretty sure Spock/Chapel/Uhura have no idea who he was prior to Mudd's Women so he wouldn't fit in. So Angel could work as a sort of recurring pirate/fun character.

Kind of interesting that Paramount kind of fooled everybody by showing pretty much just the laser trap in many of the marketing-made people think the Tholians were going to show up.

Next episode seems pretty amusing, looks like some alternate reality shenanigans.
    Heh, I did think the Tholians too. Hope they show up, I think a lot of those TOS races like the Tholians and Gorn were underutilized.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

We did get both in Enterprise's mirror universe story but that was a long time ago.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Verdict: While the episode could have been played with the same gravitas and danger as 'Memento Mori', we got a much lighter action show where the stakes never felt truly high and it never felt like the crew were in real danger. It was OK but definitely my least favourite episode so far. It's still light years better than most Discovery episodes and all Picard episodes.

>The long space shots are beautiful! And we've got filler sequences of the Enterprise just flying around to separate some scenes! Glorious!
    >I hadn't thought of Spock's liminal space between human and Vulcan as akin to being nonbinary but it works perfectly.
    >Angel's disturbing closeness with Spock from the beginning both emotionally and physically was a dead giveaway that they weren't who they said they were. And they sure fooled the crew of the flagship of the Federation far too easily.
    >Angel asking 'Vulcan for Vulcan' made me think of 'masc for masc'. If you know, you know.
    >The Angel actress is nonbinary and uses she/her pronouns while the Angel character uses they/them. She's also distantly related to Harvey Kietel.
    >Watching RuPaul's Drag Race leads me to understand that a term of endearment for trans individuals is 'angel'.
    >I'm not sure playing into the sexy side of Angel was a good move. Villains who get all creepy sexy with their victims are icky, and I don't think it was a good look for Angel.
    >Chapel in a TOS Jefferies tube!!!! ^_^ I can't wait to see Hemmer grumbling and frantically soldering in one soon!
    >Nurse Chapel kicks ASS!!! Proving once again that a medical officer with a hypospray is more dangerous than a redshirt with a phaser!
    >SYBOK?!?! OK, that was a surprise which became obvious the minute Spock said he knew who Angel was talking about. They even got the epic big hair and beard right. He's a legacy 'villain' I didn't even know I wanted more of. One of the best scenes in The Final Frontier was Sybok making Spock and Bones relive their greatest traumas, and I'd love(?) to see him do that to the Enterprise crew. I'm sure M'Benga and Pike will be able to resist since they've already overcome/are living with through their greatest traumas: the dying daughter and the future incapacitation. I'd love a look inside the heads of #1, Hemmer, Uhura, Chapel, Ortegas, and Singh. Hell, throw in a flashback of some trauma with Moustache having some bad childhood experience with his brother, James T. Kirk. :P
    >The pirates definitely stole that net tech from the Tholians. Nice switcheroo making me think from previews we'd see Tholians but I hope we still do. They just won't be using the web since that's a new thing to Spock and the crew in 'The Tholian Web' but the Tholians are known to Starfleet already.
    >Did someone name a colony after Brannon Braga? Fine, OK, he wrote some excellent episodes of Star Trek so you can't take that away from him. He also gave us the worst of Voyager and the first 2 seasons of Enterprise.
    >The red head Orion pirate was obviously not the leader. The lazy smacking around of Pike, the 'Pike as chef' maneuver, and the laughably easy mutiny didn't make me feel any real danger for the crew.
    >Why are bad guys always dirty and wearing rags? They're space pirates! They steal nice things like cool clothes and fabricators and sonic showers!
    >None of the Spock/T'Pring stuff made sense. It was obvious he was lying about Chapel. It was even more ridiculous that T'Pring showed up in the first place without a Vulcan combat cruiser or three. Angel should have shot Spock the minute he started talking to T'Pring, not let the ruse play out to its conclusion.
    >Why is Ortegas firing at the Bussard collectors and nacelles when Pike ordered her to take out the impulse engines? The readout right after shows that the impulse engines were taken out so I guess it worked.
    >Pike at the literal wheel of a space pirate ship? I honestly chuckled. It was so ridiculous I just went with it.
    >Pike's pirate bit at the end was hilarious but even more hilarious was watching Rebecca Romijn barely stay in character and not smile or laugh.
    >I wonder if T'Pring will try any of her human sex insights on Spock while performing their rebonding ritual.
    >Spock going to Chapel after performing the rebonding ritual with T'Pring. Poor Christine. Now we see where all the (Chris) pining comes from in TOS. You never had a chance and you knew it.

Favourite shots...
    vlcsnap-2022-06-18-16h12m24s059.jpg
    vlcsnap-2022-06-18-17h29m23s907.jpg
    vlcsnap-2022-06-18-17h13m52s174.jpg
    Last edited by nx01a; 06-19-2022 at 11:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Based on what I have seen so far, I like T’Pring more than T’Pol.

It took them a while but the Serene Squall was the best episode of SNW yet. This show has been so boring up until now, and even though I've always said that Star Trek shouldn't have colorful villain characters like Khan and the Borg Queen all the time because they just get stale, I like Captain Angel a lot and I'm looking forward to more of their appearances. This episode really cemented SNW as the Spock and everyone else show and that's not just because of the episode centering around him but also because of how much care and attention that was put into his scenes, especially his action scenes: there is actually impact to his punches and throws, when everyone else on the bridge gets taken out, he remains. I'm all about this Spock Supremacy. I think they should really wittle down the rest of the cast so it's just the Spock show, because no one else is as interesting (aside from maybe M'Benga and Chapel, and now Angel) or has a good enough actor portraying them for me to pay attention when they're on screen. And Captain Angel was just electrifying every time they were on screen. This episode really proved that there can be freshness to the Star Trek franchise. I think they should embrace the reboot and not be beholden to honoring the prime timeline continuity anymore.

I'm having a blast watching SNW. I like all the characters, but Ethan Peck as Spock is amazing. He really nails the character, and I'm a big Nimoy Spock fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Hemmer and Kirk both need more attention.
    Heh, someone on another forum was complaining about Sam Kirk being "useless" which I found strange. He isn't a cast member (to my knowledge). Seems more like a minor recurring character.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Incredible Member

Episode 7 or 6 are up in the air for me as far as being the worst of the season so far, but neither was bad by any means. Both had good ideas but didn't quite manage the execution as well as it could have been. I wouldn't be annoyed at having to rewatch either again, especially ep 7, so the show is still way ahead of the game. There are many eps of various Trek series, especially early TNG, that I wouldn't watch again unless to make a drinking game out of their terribleness.

There's a line in Kill Bill about somebody being "dressed like a villain on Star Trek". That was literally "Dr. Aspen" from the jump, so I can't say her betrayal was a shock. But the connection to Sybok[...I never saw THAT coming! Until Spock said he suspected who Xavarius really was. Even then, I wasn't so sure the mad bastards would really go through with it. In 30 years there hasn't been anything from STV referenced anywhere, not even a planet named-dropped. And Sybok of course never came up in the the first two season of Discovery where one might expect him to. I think Spock said he and Sybok were raised together, though, whereas here it sounds like they've never met.

The fun that Ortegas and Pike have quipping on the bridge is infections. I want a road trip episode with just those two.

I thought the Serene Squall itself would look more impressive.

There's a tonal clash in the episode with the pirates being clever enough to seize the ship completely, but everybody on the Squall itself are comedic morons straight out of Guardians of the Galaxy. I half expected James Gunn's brother to show up with bad teeth and say "Cap is teachin' stuff!"

When they surprise her in the engineering room, Chapel holds her hypospray like it's a gun. That made me chuckle. I'm not sure if she realized it or not. It's funny either way.
    Last edited by Jared; 06-29-2022 at 12:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Episode 7 or 6 are up in the air for me as far as being the worst of the season so far, but neither was bad by any means. Both had good ideas but didn't quite manage the execution as well as it could have been. I wouldn't be annoyed at having to rewatch either again, especially ep 7, so the show is still way ahead of the game. There are many eps of various Trek series, especially early TNG, that I wouldn't watch again unless to make a drinking game out of their terribleness.

There's a line in Kill Bill about somebody being "dressed like a villain on Star Trek". That was literally "Dr. Aspen from the jump", so I can't say her betrayal was a shock. But the connection to Sybok[...I never saw THAT coming! Until Spock said he suspected who Xavarius really was. Even then, I wasn't so sure the mad bastards would really go through with it. In 30 years there hasn't been anything from STV referenced anywhere, not even a planet named-dropped. And Sybok of course never came up in the the first two season of Discovery where one might expect him to. I think Spock said he and Sybok were raised together, though, whereas here it sounds like they've never met.

The fun that Ortegas and Pike have quipping on the bridge is infections. I want a road trip episode with just those two.

I thought the Serene Squall itself would look more impressive.

There's a tonal clash in the episode with the pirates being clever enough to seize the ship completely, but everybody on the Squall itself are comedic morons straight out of Guardians of the Galaxy. I half expected James Gunn's brother to show up with bad teeth and say "Cap is teachin' stuff!"

When they surprise her in the engineering room, Chapel holds her hypospray like it's a gun. That made me chuckle. I'm not sure if she realized it or not. It's funny either way.
    It's been implied that the Klingon translator in Star Trek VI was Klaa by some reference books since they're the same actor, Todd Bryant (Although Brian Thompson played Klingons in TNG "Matter of Honor" and "Generations" and nobody says they're the same guy), and BEYOND uses the cast photo from V I think from Spock Prime's belongings. But yeah apart from that there's not a lot of V references.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

This was a fun holodeck kind of episode, I loved seeing the various crew memembers acting against type here.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

They found a way to do a holodeck episode indeed. I am more than shocked at the seeming, temporary(?), resolution to the Doctors daughters story.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    They found a way to do a holodeck episode indeed. I am more than shocked at the seeming, temporary(?), resolution to the Doctors daughters story.
    Yeah, I thought that would be around longer too but even though the grown up flash forward had my molars tingling due to it's sweetness it was nice. Would I have preferred it left open ended, with him wondering what happened and if he did the right thing? Maybe, but I'm not going to lie and say I totally wasn't there with him in the ending we did get. That was a really human moment even if it was a bit contrived getting there.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    This was a fun holodeck kind of episode, I loved seeing the various crew memembers acting against type here.
    I'm actually slightly reminded of the whole Rigel 7 sequence from The Cage a bit...

This week’s episode of The Orville was better than this week’s episode.