Page 21 of 99 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I think some of the Powers That Be have more or less implied that they see the Disco-prise as a total retcon of the TOS design. I recall the actual designers going on record that they wanted to make the new design one that could be plausibly refitted into the TOS look, which would make only the "Cage"/"Where No Man Has Gone Before" configuration "problematic" canonically speaking.

That said, I think DSC was produced with the idea of giving the franchise a visual facelift, irregardless of the continuity errors, so there's probably no in-universe explanation that will work perfectly. Beyond just declaring the canon broken now, I think we're left with either assuming that the Disco-prise is the one true version of the Enterprise pre-movies or that it should be considered artistic license along the lines of recasting an actor and that the two are "really" the same thing.

The Powers That Be have been pretty inconsistent on whether the DSC tie-ins (and the PIC, as well?) have any canonical value, depending on the interview. My interpretation is to count them until the TV show contradicts them (although some of the novels have gone out of their way to reconcile discrepancies with the TV show). Not saying I'm right, but that seems to be the only position that makes sense, all thing considered.

The closest they've come to addressing the Disco-prise was a throwaway line in the Enterprise War novel, which mentioned that the ship had been refitted for the special mission of the book (the novel takes place during DSC Season 1 and leads right into Season 2). It's not perfect (for example, it doesn't account for all the remodeling of the interiors), but it was an explanation. Unfortunately, the Short Treks episodes ("Q&A," "Ask Not," "The Trouble With Edward") showing the Disco-prise in a pre-"Cage" setting, making a refit explanation highly implausible. (The animated short "Ephriam and Dot" does show the Disco-prise with the TOS interiors, among other pieces of artistic license, so I kinda think the short isn't meant to be taken too seriously, least of all since it's implied to be an in-universe short film).

On the other hand, DSC did contradict itself on the Disco-ized TOS uniforms (in Season 2, it's mentioned that they're a new design, but we see them in the Short Treks episodes set years before), so the flip-flopping between refits isn't an unique problem.

Long story short, I think it's best to understand that DSC, PIC, SNW, Prodigy, and possibly LDS (although they revel in continuity of all kinds) are being made under the idea that they don't have to match up everything 100% and that accidents to do happen even with the best of intentions (compare the Short Trek "Calypso" to DSC Seasons 3 and 4). It's just a TV show franchise after all, not a divinely-inspired holy book.
    That last bit is important to keep in mind. It's a tv show and it's job is to entertain so they made creative decisions based on what would be most visually appealing to the audience. No reason to make of it any more than that.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Looks like we're getting Kirk earlier than we thought.

https://www.cbr.com/star-trek-paul-w...-captain-kirk/

Wonder as with the other TOS characters showing up as part of Pike's crew (Chapel, Uhura etc) if there's any episode that said that Kirk wasn't already on Enterprise? Maybe he gets transferred there after the Farragut inciddent, and Pike mentors him similarly to the movies. Either that or he's on a separate ship. (Pretty sure it's been made clear Enterprise was definitely his first captaincy though).
    I think TrekCulture mentioned he commanded a smaller ship before that, although the source may have been something from a behind the scenes Bible. It does make what passes for 'real world's sense - a new captain isn't likely to be in charge of a highly slight after post like one of the big cruisers, but more likely a workhorse ship such as a destroyer or frigate first. Not counting specialized ships, of course. You'd be promoted to command of one of those from a dedicated career track (modern day equivalents could be carriers or submarines).
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    That last bit is important to keep in mind. It's a tv show and it's job is to entertain so they made creative decisions based on what would be most visually appealing to the audience. No reason to make of it any more than that.
    Yeah. It does bug me (really liked when the old TV shows made stuff fit together and the artistic license really ruins the verisimilitude for me), but I've found making peace that it won't all fit together like it used to has allowed me to enjoy the shows for what they are. I mean, it's really good VFX work on its own terms.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I think TrekCulture mentioned he commanded a smaller ship before that, although the source may have been something from a behind the scenes Bible. It does make what passes for 'real world's sense - a new captain isn't likely to be in charge of a highly slight after post like one of the big cruisers, but more likely a workhorse ship such as a destroyer or frigate first. Not counting specialized ships, of course. You'd be promoted to command of one of those from a dedicated career track (modern day equivalents could be carriers or submarines).
    I guess that makes sense. Picard started out in the Stargazer, for instance, he didn't just jump straight to command of the Federation flagship.

It would pass the smell test for Kirk to have also done a few tours on one or more other ships, that didn't get specifically mentioned, before being moved over to the Enterprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I guess that makes sense. Picard started out in the Stargazer, for instance, he didn't just jump straight to command of the Federation flagship.

It would pass the smell test for Kirk to have also done a few tours on one or more other ships, that didn't get specifically mentioned, before being moved over to the Enterprise.
    Or they could have Kirk on the Farragut, but quickly mention that Captain Garrovik is on shore leave and left Kirk in command.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Just going with it always looked like that is the best way to go.

The original Enterprise looked the way it did because it was the best they could do with the budget they had and the time allotted. They have more money and more time now and on top of that our technology has advanced so it should look more modern.
    I'm kind of reminded of the Anime Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz (Direct to video/movie sequel of the regular GW show). Although the unique Gundam designs in the series were given "custom" designations for the merchandise, it starts with some reanimated segments of the final battle from the end of the TV show with the new designs.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Or they could have Kirk on the Farragut, but quickly mention that Captain Garrovik is on shore leave and left Kirk in command.
    I think in the timeline that incident has gone by already, which is not as big a problem as many fans would like it to be, but the stills showed Kirk with Captain's bars, which is harder to explain away without having him be an actual captain rather than an acting one.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Should be noted I think that Pike eventually becomes Fleet Captain and that's when he first meets Kirk according to Menagerie's dialogue.

The only other fleet Captain mentioned is Garth of Izar; not sure if it's ever been established when the battle of Axanar happened and when Garth went nuts, or if Pike was his successor somehow. Although given the legal quagmire with the fan film, I'm guessing Paramount might keep their distance from that.

Should be noted I think that Pike eventually becomes Fleet Captain and that's when he first meets Kirk according to Menagerie's dialogue.
    It could be fudged, if needed.

The only other fleet Captain mentioned is Garth of Izar; not sure if it's ever been established when the battle of Axanar happened and when Garth went nuts, or if Pike was his successor somehow. Although given the legal quagmire with the fan film, I'm guessing Paramount might keep their distance from that.
    It presumably would've been within a couple decades of TOS, but it's been left undated officially.

Don't see why Paramount would avoid using something they own; they did win, for all intents and purposes (and that fan film has been hardly going anywhere).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Incredible Member

There's also a vague dialogue that Kirk makes that Anaxar-or rather some follow-up peace mission-made Kirk and Spock brothers. Their first meeting perhaps?

Wonder if Spock will remember what Michael said in her goodbye to him (Discovery season 2 finale), sort of obviously foreshadowing Kirk (and possibly McCoy, who is even further from Spock on the emotional scale): "There is a whole galaxy out there, full of people who will reach for you. You have to let them. Find that person who seems farthest from you and reach for them. Reach for them. Let them guide you."

Mighty Member

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beantownbrown View Post
    She says 'When I was a kid I was the only one that survived.'
    Did Khan, had a daughter before he was put in the Botany Bay, or did she survived the harsh planet her parents were exiled on and somehow traveled back in time?
    There is a fan film called Star Trek: Renegades, where Khan's daughter did survive that planet.

Maybe their was a second group of exiled Augments including relatives of Khan? After all I think that was possibly Khan and co's goal all along, to find a planet to colonize, but they 'missed' and wound up adrift (Kind of like say, Ripley in Aliens).
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 03-30-2022 at 06:37 AM.