Page 36 of 99 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839404686 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    It's because, by 21st century standards, Uhura's job on TOS could be done by computer or non-sentient robot. In order to justify having an actual Starfleet Officer in that position, there would have to be more to the job.
    While we don't have Radio personal anymore we still have IT who are in charge of communications and maintaining the equipment. The Chief Engineer doesn't fix every problem with the Transporter Room that's the Transporter Chief's job and maintenance of the Comm System would be the Communications Officer's job along with answering and sending communications both externally and internally for the ship.

Scotty usually did some transporter work in addition to the regular engines. Remember there's the famous Kirk not-quite-catchphrase.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Incredible Member

IIRC, the novelization of STVI said that the conspirator deleted all the Klingon files from the computer, which would at least explain why Uhura had to search through physical books.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    She was kind of the unsung hero of many of the movies as well, as she helped bail them out of some rough spots. Maybe they should've let her figure out the whole thing about V'ger's ultrafast transmitting in the first movie instead of Spock?
    That had to before Spock because had the psychic link with V'Ger.

Uhura should have been the one to recognize the probe in STIV was sending a whale song, though.
    Last edited by Jared; 05-17-2022 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Scotty usually did some transporter work in addition to the regular engines. Remember there's the famous Kirk not-quite-catchphrase.
    I'm going to assume the Transporter Chief during Kirk's 5-year mission was incompetent vs TNG's Miles O'Brien. Speaking of which in Relics you can see Scotty definitely enjoyed the workings of a Starship more than the average engineer even a great one like Gordi. The only time I think Scotty enjoyed not working was when he was getting some whiskey.

Interesting so far, though I have to consider it a prequel to some version of the original Star Trek that we have never seen. It references a Lt. Kirk, so clearly it does not have the patent absurdity of the recent movies, where cadets get to jump straight to Captain, with no experience to be ready for those duties, nor is it a prequel to TOS. Chapel and Uhura seem to be on the Enterprise long before they would have been in TOS, plus, of course, they have to deal with the reality that this is a show being made in 2022, not 1966, so you can't have the culture that was actually presented in TOS. Well, actually, you can. It was called "Star Trek Continues", but something like that only works for the extremely nostalgic fans. Chapel clearly seems a different character with the same name and position, which is not a bad thing but different.

Unfortunately, although I really do enjoy many of these prequel shows on their own merits, I tend to lock onto the things that disqualify them as genuinely prequels. Part of me wants them to just remake TOS as a series and be done with it. But, I recognize that, likely, the heart and messages that made TOS work would be absent.

Looking forward to seeing the development of "Number One" as a character, and one that does not have to fight through sexist barriers as if this were 1966.

In the first episode, Spock seems a bit, um, emotional, and Vulcans only mating in Ponn Farr seems to have been completely ignored.

The most interesting thing is Pike having precognitive knowledge of his fate. Clever, because it tells us, the audience, that he will follow the path of TOS in that regard. Of course, that leaves me wanting to know when they will encounter the Talosians and Vina.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    first of all chemistry is subjective, although what seems to be going is a bit of shallowness with jess and celia and not that I blame many viewers completely. I also blame some of the bad parts of third way feminism that SNW Uhura now seem to be a victim off.

I wonder if Celia Gooding has been styled the same way as Jess Bush or had her body type, we will even be having this conversation. I personally did not like the character design for Celia Gooding because she looked nothing like the original actress that plays Uhura or Zoe Saldana, if you ask me I would say she is styled to look too masculine, versus the Uhura who we have seen in the past that were very feminine looking characters.

This has always been a worry of mine about how woman are physically designed and styled, I even made a thread about this issue a year ago about what attracts men to watch women in films and there was this discussion here on this board that men do get easily turned off if the female characters are designed to be very masculine and I am seeing it here with strange new worlds about Uhura.

I do wish Celia had been a new character, if she personally did not want to stick to the established way Uhura had always looked, then maybe a new character would have been the better choice. So in a nut shell, maybe subconsciously part of the reason some may think Jess has more chemistry with Spock is because Jess looks far more feminine in the traditional sense, and oozes far more sex appeal, so it is easy to see that as chemistry when she is with a male character.

Jess Bush has been styled as the classic tall hot blonde vs Uhura who basically has been given a hair cut that barely suit the actress face and the uniform barely fits her body type. Celia looks very bulky in those uniform. I will just say it that her character design is poor and the worst of the bunch.

This Uhura from SNW has none of the sex appeal that Zoe Saldana or Nichelle Nicholas had, two women who had chemistry with their own Spock. Meanwhile I have seen constant talk about how hot Jess Chapel is, people are not saying that with the other girls on the show so this is clearly playing a factor here and also Jess Chapel is shamelessly openly flirting with Spock and that by default means chemistry however only in the superficial of sense.

Again, I don't know what is ahead with this writers, but I am aware of star trek shipping stuff and the Spock and Uhura ship have a very strong fanbase because of the kelvin films, while Spock/Chapel dont have a strong fan base. perhaps the writers do want to go the spock/chapel route here and did not want Uhura to be a threat to that, so they chose to give her the Rose Tico treatment from star wars, this is when a female character is stripped away of any kind of traditional take of femininity and sex appeal, given a very bad hair style and is made to look very androgynous, if this was the writers plan for strange new worlds, it seem to be working here with Celia's Uhura.

Also the race aspect could also be a factor too. maybe some just think Spock is better off with a the white blonde than a very dark skinned black woman. However I won't put much on race yet until we see more reactions, right now I think it is more about looks and sex appeal and Jess's Chapel is bring that while Celia Uhura isn't. Which is kind of ironic because this show is a direct prequel to TOS and in TOS Uhura is the one with all the sex appeal and hotness, while Chapel is the timid mousy woman.

This video just sums it up about what they have done to Uhura and I think it is just sad.

nah, it is a lot of people's take that a woman flirting with a man as instant chemistry, especially when the woman appears physically attractive in the way society has always defined those terms.
    At this point, the show deviates far enough from leading into TOS that I don't think a Spock/ Chapel thing is necessary and would probably be happening way before they even met in TOS. On the other hand, Spock/ Uhura is what Roddenberry supposedly originally intended. You can see that in episodes like "Charlie X" before the idea of such a relationship got axed.

Chapel is a more interesting character than she ever was on TOS and I've only seen the first episode of SNW. Although, at this rate, it will be interesting to see how she's not the Chief Medical officer by Kirk's time, rather than be Chief Nurse to McCoy, assuming ny of this leads to a situation matching what it was in TOS.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    At this point, the show deviates far enough from leading into TOS that I don't think a Spock/ Chapel thing is necessary and would probably be happening way before they even met in TOS. On the other hand, Spock/ Uhura is what Roddenberry supposedly originally intended. You can see that in episodes like "Charlie X" before the idea of such a relationship got axed.
    TNG heavily implied Spock was married by the time Sarek guest stared on the show. I am thinking that was Savvik and when we last see him, in the Kelvin films, he is all alone. So it is cannon to say when it comes to love ,Spock died a lonely man. Although I would have been curious to see Spock's reaction to the fact that the Kelvin timeline Spock and Uhura are deeply involved.

However as I said, Chapel's infatuation/like/love with spock seems to have started with a Bang on SNW. I thought that would have developed a lot more smoothly, the only reason this may have happened is that, the writers would want to use that kind of story more with another love interest of Spock, which would and should likely be Uhura.

As for Chapel in SNW, so far I am mixed on her character. people seem to be talking about how hot she looks, which is fine, just wish the other girls on the show were styled to look as hot as her, including such an iconic character like Uhura, who was indeed know for her hotness and beauty. Something Spock does tell her (though under influence but still a true comment) Still a good hint that spock/uhura should have been a couple.

Spock to Uhura: Whose name means freedom, she walks in beauty like the night.

How we are even having a debate where Chapel is seen as ''hotter'' than Uhura is just unbelievable and I think this writers may have done it on purpose, making Uhura look so masculine and butch on this show, same with the other girls. They all gave them over the top tom boys looks, Chapel is the only young girl on the show that looks the most feminine in the traditional definition of the word and I am not happy about that because Uhura was such an iconic womanly sexy feminine character, you never guessed her gender. I am more pissed that they have stripped that away than who she dates to be honest.

I have seen comments here on this thread that said Uhura looks like a superficial lesbian serotype. which is something that I disagreed with but now it may be adding up. Ceelia Gooding is bi sexual and non binary. So I do wonder now if Celia Gooding been a non binary person that goes by (she/they) is having an influence on the way Uhura is styled on this show.
    Last edited by Castle; 05-18-2022 at 05:48 AM.

Nobody in this topic has talked about Chapel or Uhuru's "hottmess" except for you lol don't project your shallowness onto the rest of us.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Nobody in this topic has talked about Chapel or Uhuru's "hottmess" except for you lol don't project your shallowness onto the rest of us.
    Actually I was the one who said people who keep talking of Chapel hotness on the internet was shallow, however why she is the only traditional feminine looking character on the show which is a synonym for hotness, I dont think was a good decision when you have a legacy character in there like Uhura.
    Last edited by Castle; 05-18-2022 at 05:50 AM.

Actually I was the one who said people talking of Chapel hotness on the internet was shallow, however why she is the only traditional feminine looking character on the show which is a synonym for hotness, I dont think was a good discussion when you have a legacy character in there like Uhura.
    And my point is that nobody was talking about looks in this topic until you brought it up. And you keep bringing it up. It doesn't matter if you called it shallow and yet keep talking about how Uhuru isn't "feminine." That's just you being hypocritical and shallow yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    And my point is that nobody was talking about looks in this topic until you brought it up. And you keep bringing it up. It doesn't matter if you called it shallow and yet keep talking about how Uhuru isn't "feminine." That's just you being hypocritical and shallow yourself.
    Agreed, Also, stating that SNW Uhura is not feminine seems to be heavily projecting Eurocentric ideals of beauty and feminism as the only acceptable version of those. It's a very problematic argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post

Chapel is a more interesting character than she ever was on TOS and I've only seen the first episode of SNW. Although, at this rate, it will be interesting to see how she's not the Chief Medical officer by Kirk's time, rather than be Chief Nurse to McCoy, assuming ny of this leads to a situation matching what it was in TOS.
    Regarding Chapel as CMO, I can think of a couple of reasons why she might not be. As a civilian on loan, she currently doesn't really have a rank in the chain of command, and would be behind the curve for gaining rank of she does enlist. And I'm not sure, but does the position of CMO require the person holding it be a doctor rather than a nurse? Although the latter could explain who Chief Medical Officer and Head Surgeon are two different positions even though McCoy was referred to be either one depending on the episode.
    Dark does not mean deep.

I'm thinking that in TMP Chapel was actually going to be CMO (As other crew had stayed for the transition other than Spock and McCoy) but Kirk bringing McCoy back had her kind of slip back into "top nurse".

The novel confirms this, although given the "do their own thing" nature of the Trek movie adaptations it's probably not canon, although I suppose you could say it's "word of god" since Gene wrote it (although there's some debate on that).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    Agreed, Also, stating that SNW Uhura is not feminine seems to be heavily projecting Eurocentric ideals of beauty and feminism as the only acceptable version of those. It's a very problematic argument.
    Definitely! There's absolutely nothing "masculine" about that woman smh.

But on to more important things...

TNG heavily implied Spock was married by the time Sarek guest stared on the show. I am thinking that was Savvik and when we last see him, in the Kelvin films, he is all alone. So it is cannon to say when it comes to love ,Spock died a lonely man. Although I would have been curious to see Spock's reaction to the fact that the Kelvin timeline Spock and Uhura are deeply involved.

However as I said, Chapel's infatuation/like/love with spock seems to have started with a Bang on SNW. I thought that would have developed a lot more smoothly, the only reason this may have happened is that, the writers would want to use that kind of story more with another love interest of Spock, which would and should likely be Uhura.

As for Chapel in SNW, so far I am mixed on her character. people seem to be talking about how hot she looks, which is fine, just wish the other girls on the show were styled to look as hot as her, including such an iconic character like Uhura, who was indeed know for her hotness and beauty. Something Spock does tell her (though under influence but still a true comment) Still a good hint that spock/uhura should have been a couple.

Spock to Uhura: Whose name means freedom, she walks in beauty like the night.

How we are even having a debate where Chapel is seen as ''hotter'' than Uhura is just unbelievable and I think this writers may have done it on purpose, making Uhura look so masculine and butch on this show, same with the other girls. They all gave them over the top tom boys looks, Chapel is the only young girl on the show that looks the most feminine in the traditional definition of the word and I am not happy about that because Uhura was such an iconic womanly sexy feminine character, you never guessed her gender. I am more pissed that they have stripped that away than who she dates to be honest.

I have seen comments here on this thread that said Uhura looks like a superficial lesbian serotype. which is something that I disagreed with but now it may be adding up. Ceelia Gooding is bi sexual and non binary. So I do wonder now if Celia Gooding been a non binary person that goes by (she/they) is having an influence on the way Uhura is styled on this show.
    There's an old joke, might have been from Saturday Night Live, but, wherever, it was a woman saying she was beautiful and then saying, "Of course, everyone is beautiful in her own way. It's just that I'm beautiful in a way most men would agree upon."

What made me think of that was what you said about Chapel. It had not occurred to me, but may be true, that they went out of their way to make her look "hot" in a way a lot of men would find "hot" while most of the other female characters are not quite within the hair styling, if nothing else, that men would generally find attractive. The exception would be "Number One", who, like Chapel, has the long hair that works for a lot of us.

I think making assumptions about someone's orientation based on hairstyle is ridiculous. Frankly, though, having some characters that are not straight would be well in keeping with the tradition of Star Trek. The whole premise was to break barriers that should be broken, first, racial taboos and, maybe now, gender/ sex taboos.

I already know there would be people whining about "Star Trek going woke" which is so patently ridiculous that it's like saying water is now wet, like it didn't use to be. It's the whole core of Star Trek.

Also, I was trying to think of a way to phrase this. Then, someone did it for me. The idea that Chapel is the only "hot" female character (and, maybe, "Romijin's Number One) is a very European/ White concept of attractiveness which does not really apply universally.
    Last edited by Powerboy; 05-18-2022 at 08:20 AM.