Page 47 of 99 FirstFirst ... 374344454647484950515797 ... LastLast

Honestly, while I'm sure it wasn't the intent due to the nature of television and how this was likely in the can months ago, I couldn't stop thinking about Uvalde and how it seems like certain members of our society are willing to sacrifice children every now and again to maintain a lifestyle that they are accustomed to. They are okay with children getting gunned down a couple times of year as long as they can keep their guns. And while I don't think it's a perfect 1 to 1, I did feel like Alora's speech was directed at us when she said that they recognize and honor those sacrifices while Federation (or us) turn away from it. Again, I don't know if that was the intent, but I couldn't think of anything else.

I liked this episode. It maybe was not as immediate as Spock Amok or Memento Mori, but it was a strong episode in the idyllic planet has a dark secret trope. I do think the twist was telegraphed a little bit harder than I would have liked, but the fact that the Enterprise "failed" made it a little bit better.

So far, I have enjoyed every episode. What I like is that each episode seems to be playing with a different recurring Star Trek trope, which makes the show feel familiar, yet updated with modern story flow and action. I wouldn't be surprise if once this show gets a couple of seasons under its belt, it becomes a standard answer for folks looking to get into Star Trek.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Today's episode was quite the 180 from last week. A kind of twisted take on "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one".
    I got the same vibes after watching this

What I can't help but wonder was that if some party members were more open to telling the truth, especially the Majellan Doctor, how things may have unfolded differently. I know the Majellans were very guarded when it came to speaking with outsiders, but if the Majellan Doctor was more open about his son's fate, he might have been able to save him. (but he saw how close Pike and that Majellan Woman were so that may have given him more reason to keep his secrets). It's just as a father of a little guy that is about to turn 2, I'd definitely cross a few lines if it meant saving his life. I was hoping to see M'Benga open up to the Majellan Doctor more about his daughter at the end of the episode since they have so much in common.

I also can't stop thinking what would happen if this occurred on a different Enterprise. The debate between Spock and McCoy would be epic to say the least but I don't see much of a difference between Kirk and Pike. They're almost copies of each other. I could easily see Kirk fighting anyone or anything that got in his way to save that boy.

Picard on the other hand, he'd object too but he's more gifted at handling these types of matters. I can see him getting his team on studying the planet and finding an alternate solution so everybody wins. The Majellans would probably end up joining the Federation if it was Picard leading that mission.
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 06-10-2022 at 01:29 PM.

Kirk's also a father himself (and given David's age presumabely he was born by the time of TOS so it's possible Kirk knew although it's also possible Carol told him later.) although an absentee one; that also could've motivated him to act.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Boisterously Confused

"Lift us where suffering cannot reach" was an amazing episode, but boy was it sad. I realize we're only six episodes in, but this series is making a serious run at being the best Trek yet.
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 06-10-2022 at 02:25 PM.

Lift Us Where Suffering Cannot Reach
    Wow. That episode was... Wow. In both good and bad ways.
    >This was a good yet emotionally heavy episode but I had quite a few nit picks for once. I'm amazed yet happy I haven't gotten frustrated by anything in SNW until now.
    >As soon as I saw a child in sickbay, I thought of Babylon 5's Believers.
    >The Majalans also remind me of the 456 from Torchwood: Children of Earth.
    >Want to give gut punches in sci-fi? Don't save the kids from horrible fates.
    >The constant use of the word 'sacred' definitely cluing me into the coming evil revelations about the Majalans reminded me of how Phlox kept saying 'religious' in reference to the soon to be revealed as fanatics Triannons from ENT 'Chosen Realm'. Trek can sure telegraph its distaste for religion when the show isn't DS9.
    >Cloud cities = evil society.
    >There's sacrificing a child then there's building a happy pseudo-religion around that child's suffering. Are the Majalans evil? I don't think so. Are they creepy as Hell? Yes.
    >Alora talking about the Federation turning a blind eye to children's suffering and suffering in general? I'm not so sure. Well, those people working in far off dilithium mines or pergium-generating outposts are certainly not living the utopian dream their work and suffering support on other worlds.
    >The coincidences revolving around Pike and Alora were just too coincidental. I was expecting some long game con on the Majalans' part to get the Federation to deal with the rogue Majalan colony. It seemed very glaring to me to have two shuttle incidents both involving Alora and Pike, plus Alora's position in the Majalan government.
    >I hope M'Benga gets enough info to develop a cure for his daughter eventually. I half expected the First Servant to have left detailed notes on a cure for him.
    >How did the rogue Majalan ship go from having a .02% effect on the Enterprise's shields to hitting hard enough to make it rock and disrupt ship's systems in just three volleys?
    >Who lets an ensign rotating through security actually be in charge of firing phasers in a real space battle?
    >Why wasn't Uhura gripped by remorse for possibly killing lots of people?
    >The chase between the First Servant's guards was laughable. Missing the running man barely 20 feet away from you with your energy weapon? Trying to get physical with him when you could just blast him from a distance? It was sloppy and could have been written more convincingly, especially the 'Pike tackles him when no one else could' maneuver.
    >I'm not sure basing the society we're supposed to view in a negative light on real world Indian dress and celebrations (the powder, for example) was a good idea.
    >The child actor playing the First Servant was really good.
    >Subspace radio speed reference was on point.
    >The Moustache makes a guest appearance!
    >Why can the name of the system be put on screen while it's redundantly being said in Pike's voice over but we can't get the names of episodes on screen?
    >Pike looking at the pulsar while having a stiff drink? Well done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    What I can't help but wonder was that if some party members were more open to telling the truth, especially the Majellan Doctor, how things may have unfolded differently. I know the Majellans were very guarded when it came to speaking with outsiders, but if the Majellan Doctor was more open about his son's fate, he might have been able to save him. (but he saw how close Pike and that Majellan Woman were so that may have given him more reason to keep his secrets).
    That was also one of my complaints about the episode. SO much could have been accomplished by Pike et al demanding answers instead of letting things slide or conveniently leaving the room just as revelations were about to be made.
    Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    Honestly, while I'm sure it wasn't the intent due to the nature of television and how this was likely in the can months ago, I couldn't stop thinking about Uvalde and how it seems like certain members of our society are willing to sacrifice children every now and again to maintain a lifestyle that they are accustomed to. They are okay with children getting gunned down a couple times of year as long as they can keep their guns. And while I don't think it's a perfect 1 to 1, I did feel like Alora's speech was directed at us when she said that they recognize and honor those sacrifices while Federation (or us) turn away from it. Again, I don't know if that was the intent, but I couldn't think of anything else.
    I liked this episode. It maybe was not as immediate as Spock Amok or Memento Mori, but it was a strong episode in the idyllic planet has a dark secret trope. I do think the twist was telegraphed a little bit harder than I would have liked, but the fact that the Enterprise "failed" made it a little bit better.
    So far, I have enjoyed every episode. What I like is that each episode seems to be playing with a different recurring Star Trek trope, which makes the show feel familiar, yet updated with modern story flow and action. I wouldn't be surprise if once this show gets a couple of seasons under its belt, it becomes a standard answer for folks looking to get into Star Trek.
    I honestly hadn't thought about US school shootings in relation to this episode but you make a very good yet sad point.
    I've also enjoyed every single episode. I'm SO happy that the show has met and exceeded my highest hopes... so far. I'd love SNW (and s2 DIS onward) to be what the future of current Trek follows, not the constant darkness of PIC.
    Last edited by nx01a; 06-10-2022 at 10:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Well, if you are going to steal steal from the best and Ursula K. Le Guin's "The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas" is one of the best.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Well, if you are going to steal steal from the best and Ursula K. Le Guin's "The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas" is one of the best.
    Production claims s3 of DIS was also inspired by that story. What the Hell happened there?!
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Discovery was inspired by that story and tried to do their own thing with it. The problem is it's Discovery's writers so you end up with a kid screaming and making warp impossible. Strange New Worlds just kept it simple and filed the serial numbers off and called it a day, hence the better result.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

I guess people can be inspired in whacky means and all, but S3 of DICO and EP06 of SNW don't like they were drawn by the same font at all. Like, the moral implications are entirely different.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Lift Us Where Suffering Cannot Reach

>The chase between the First Servant's guards was laughable. Missing the running man barely 20 feet away from you with your energy weapon? Trying to get physical with him when you could just blast him from a distance? It was sloppy and could have been written more convincingly, especially the 'Pike tackles him when no one else could' maneuver.
    Due to the severity of this episode's ending I almost forgot about that part. That chase was so laughably bad I had to replay it a few times because I thought I may have missed something so that it would make sense

Nope

So this Rambo Guard that defected kills one royal guard, beats up several others in weapon to weapon close combat....yet he and Pike literally run towards each other (There was a good distance between them and this guard was still armed by the way) and Pike manages to tackle him. Holy hell that scene was stupid. If Pike might have jumped out of a bush and suprised the guy then that could have made sense, but nope.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    ...I don't see much of a difference between Kirk and Pike. They're almost copies of each other. I could easily see Kirk fighting anyone or anything that got in his way to save that boy...
    Very similar, I agree, but not, I think, copies. I can't see Kirk hosting the BBQ from "Children of the Comet," nor relying as much on others' ideas (except Spock's) to the degree Pike does. I guess the similarities are to be expected as the original character differences were mainly a function of the change in leading actors (according to Nimoy), and the differences owe a lot to the time-periods in which their characters were written.

Perhaps it's just me seeing what I want to see, but I perceive a greater degree of selflessness in Pike. Both cared about their crews, but Pike seems more deeply vested in a wider array of his comrades. Again, a function of the standard of writing of their times; TOS was generally written for 2-3 characters, while SNW makes room for a lot more people to shine and have a depth of character.

Boisterously Confused

Oddball Question: How long do you think it will be (if ever) that Mount's picture takes over the profile spot on Captain Pike's Wikipedia page?

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Very similar, I agree, but not, I think, copies. I can't see Kirk hosting the BBQ from "Children of the Comet," nor relying as much on others' ideas (except Spock's) to the degree Pike does. I guess the similarities are to be expected as the original character differences were mainly a function of the change in leading actors (according to Nimoy), and the differences owe a lot to the time-periods in which their characters were written.

Perhaps it's just me seeing what I want to see, but I perceive a greater degree of selflessness in Pike. Both cared about their crews, but Pike seems more deeply vested in a wider array of his comrades. Again, a function of the standard of writing of their times; TOS was generally written for 2-3 characters, while SNW makes room for a lot more people to shine and have a depth of character.
    Yeah, we don't really see him really host the crew as often, he usually just seems to hang around with Kirk and Spock. The only major exceptions I can think of was the short "absent friends" toast in III where Spock was well, presumed dead and McCoy was nuts, and "Generations" where it was originally intended to be Spock and McCoy but Nimoy didn't like the script and Kelley was probably not in the best of health.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Pike is a more mature/responsible version of Kirk.

Problems with the show so far. I like the show but that won't stop me from criticizing it.

Una isn't getting enough time. Time spent being shackled to Singh doesn't count. Hey remember how excited everyone was when the character was brought back and being played by Rebecca Romijn in Discovery? Then we got stuck with the head of Security that no one likes whose name I can't remember or care enough to look up? There always seems to be a bait and switch with this character and I'm tired of it.

Uhura is getting too much time. Things just drag when we have to follow her around the ship to learn other things. Plus when she is learning other tasks she comes off less like a Starfleet officer and more like a whiney teen being forced to do chores. When it was time to fire on that other ship she should have been at her station. Send her to communications and keep her there.

Singh is getting too much time. The character is boring which is why the writers shackled her to Una. The show needs to hurry up and do the Khan thing they are so desperate to do so they can jettison her.

M'Benga is just...there. The guy with the daughter problem, and? What kind of Doctor is he? We knew what kind of Doctors the previous Trek doctors were...except the guy on Discovery. Also, someone needs to tell him about these things called bookmarks. That way he won't keep losing his place when reading stories to his daughter.

Ortegas needs to find her way back to The Orville.