Page 42 of 99 FirstFirst ... 323839404142434445465292 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

There were a lot more than just two instances. Heck, you don't even have to go between series to get them; for instance when the Borg were first introduced in Q Who they were said to only be interested in integrating new technology, but in just about every encounter afterwards its about assimilating cultures and people with little attention paid to technology. Voyager went from a set amount of torpedoes that could not be replicated or rebuilt...to firing them off like you'd hand out candy on Halloween.

I can go on, but suffice to say there are a lot of glaring inconsistencies and again...that's okay, it's something any long running story handled my multiple creative teams is going to encounter.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    There were a lot more than just two instances. Heck, you don't even have to go between series to get them; for instance when the Borg were first introduced in Q Who they were said to only be interested in integrating new technology, but in just about every encounter afterwards its about assimilating cultures and people with little attention paid to technology. Voyager went from a set amount of torpedoes that could not be replicated or rebuilt...to firing them off like you'd hand out candy on Halloween.

I can go on, but suffice to say there are a lot of glaring inconsistencies and again...that's okay, it's something any long running story handled my multiple creative teams is going to encounter.
    1: Q as an untrustworthy narrator as you can get.

2: That's my point it's a small inconsistency on why the Borg assimilate.

As for VOY that's my major complaint for the series that they went from rationing everything to having unlimited supplies. Especially Torpedoes which there are YouTube videos which are hilarious doing torpedo counts. But you can say they found ways to build new ones eventually and forgive it. I'll tell you something less forgivable Starfleet knew of a Spore Drive that could possibly bring them home and said nothing. No guarantee they could build it l, but still come on.

Old inconsistencies outside of the 2 major ones I mentioned it could be shrugged off as files being wrong, people misquoting, and so on. With Kurtzman it visual history and plotholes that you fit a fleet of Starships thru.

Dude can't even keep his own continuity in line Seven said she wasn't allowed to join Starfleet because she was a Borg yet Icheb was a Starfleet Officer.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 05-23-2022 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I get the concept of "Hey shut your brain off and enjoy it" and I do for some stuff, but this is Star Trek we use to be the smart kids in the room who didn't need to do that because our franchise didn't require us too.

I like SNW, But it's sad to be part of a fandom that once demanded thought provoking stories to be like "Don't think about just enjoy".
    This. how-does-it-feel-to-have-lived-long-enough-to-39188432.jpg
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

1: Q as an untrustworthy narrator as you can get.

2: That's my point it's a small inconsistency on why the Borg assimilate.

As for VOY that's my major complaint for the series that they went from rationing everything to having unlimited supplies. Especially Torpedoes which there are YouTube videos which are hilarious doing torpedo counts. But you can say they found ways to build new ones eventually and forgive it. I'll tell you something less forgivable Starfleet knew of a Spore Drive that could possibly bring them home and said nothing. No guarantee they could build it l, but still come on.

Old inconsistencies outside of the 2 major ones I mentioned it could be shrugged off as files being wrong, people misquoting, and so on. With Kurtzman it visual history and plotholes that you fit a fleet of Starships thru.

Dude can't even keep his own continuity in line Seven said she wasn't allowed to join Starfleet because she was a Borg yet Icheb was a Starfleet Officer.
    Your number one is just a rationalization, it's a fan theory you've come up with to help you reconcile change. And your second part is a big understatement, changing their reason for coming into Federation space is a big change; it's a change for the better as it took them from what sounded like a bunch of generic cyborgs looking to become the best machines they can be to a an alien collective that actually feels alien as we can't really fathom what they are actually looking to do.

And like I said, the discrepancies I mentioned were just off the top of my head...there are enough to go on for hours, I mean don't get me started on how Data isn't really special given what we had seen in TOS.
    Star Trek wasn't this perfect, seamless thing before the new iterations came around; it's been rough around the edges since forever and has often required one to either just accept it as is or create your own reasons to smooth out the details.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Your number one is just a rationalization, it's a fan theory you've come up with to help you reconcile change. And your second part is a big understatement, changing their reason for coming into Federation space is a big change; it's a change for the better as it took them from what sounded like a bunch of generic cyborgs looking to become the best machines they can be to a an alien collective that actually feels alien as we can't really fathom what they are actually looking to do.

And like I said, the discrepancies I mentioned were just off the top of my head...there are enough to go on for hours, I mean don't get me started on how Data isn't really special given what we had seen in TOS.
    Star Trek wasn't this perfect, seamless thing before the new iterations came around; it's been rough around the edges since forever and has often required one to either just accept it as is or create your own reasons to smooth out the details.
    Dude there's a difference between looking at a picture of your childhood home and seeing grandma's picture on a different wall then you remember in the living room and the living room being painted red vs the blue you remember it being.

One is oh I remembered that wrong. The other is WTF that can't be right and you start asking questions.

Pre Kurtzman continuity is a picture in a different place, Kurtzman is the Red Room.

Think for the most part the TOS androids weren't quite advanced as Data. The Korby androids seemed to be mostly be xeroxed minds from humans I think, the Mudd androids weren't all that advanced mentally, the Sargon ones were intended to be back-up bodies.

Ditto with Illia, her programming for V'ger was fairly limited and she seemed to have quite a bit of Illia's mind still left.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Eh, that isn't really a continuity issue, it's just we the audience don't know the whole story. We don't know when Icheb joined. When Seven wanted to join she faced resistance, and said Janeway threatened to resign if Starfleet didn't let Seven in. Instead of letting it go there, Seven herself backed off from Starfleet and instead became a Fenris ranger. For all we know Janeway continued the fight, resulting in Icheb eventually getting to join.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Think Icheb (and the other Borg kids) situation was somewhat more unique than Seven's as they were already shut off from the main collective when Voyager found them. It's been a while since I've seen Voyager so I could be wrong.

What do you think will get a bigger audience, this show or season 3 of The Orville on Hulu?

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    What do you think will get a bigger audience, this show or season 3 of The Orville on Hulu?
    Probably about the same, Paramount + apparently has 40 million subscribers and Hulu has 45 million.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    How much of those audiences are going to be the same people?
    Dark does not mean deep.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Just finished Episode 2. Loving the pace/atmosphere/character spotlight from this show so far and hope it doesn't lose its momentum.

Two parts I didn't understand.

1. How was Spock able to sneak a shuttle out of the Enterprise and hide on to a comet like that?

2. Speaking of the comet, did he break it apart using the music linguistics Uhura provided him from the away mission? Not totally sure I understood that part either.

When I first saw the trailers, I didn't think I'd like Ortega but I'm pleasantly suprised how much I enjoy her character. The security chief I have an odd standing with. Still not crazy about her character but at the same time, I'm in agreement with every opinion she makes

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post

2. Speaking of the comet, did he break it apart using the music linguistics Uhura provided him from the away mission? Not totally sure I understood that part either.
    No. He generated heat from the shuttle's shields and superheated the water in the shell of the comet. Which caused it to erupt, break apart and change it's own course. Physics, not language.

Next episode seems to have a variation of the classic Kalafee fight music, but it appears to be a dream sequence based on the previews.

Another solid episode, I loved the WWII submarine-like tension they brought to the battle with the Gorn.