Page 83 of 99 FirstFirst ... 337379808182838485868793 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,245 of 1471

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    If they don't want to use proper TOS aesthetics, then they either have to either explain it or set the show in another timeline.
    Lol. "We HAVE to do what this one fan demands!!!!"
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    As an avid comic reader growing up and an adult ... Aesthetic changes don't bother me. Actors, sfx upgrades, etc. Are like when a new artist comes on board. I find it odd that's seen as a negative on this board. If it effects ones ability to enjoy the story at hand, perhaps it is time to move on.
    Yes. The aesthetics never bothered me and I don't think they are asking anyone to believe that the interiors of the starships and the equipment really look the way they looked in TOS. After all, it's all on Paramount+ including TOS. You can't do a show made in 2023 with the interiors looking the way they would be done in the 1960s. They'd be laughed off the screen. I loved Star Trek Continues, but that was a fan financed show designed to appeal to the choir.

With all due respect to Jokerz79, Star Wars is a different animal. First, there were subtle changes. Secondly, Star Wars always had a far greater budget than TOS. Thirdly, that was 1977 to 2005, not 1966 to 2023. Last, Star Wars was and is a "space fantasy" or "space opera", so the flashing lights and things are part of the appeal. Presenting something that wants to give an illusion of being part of our future like that would not work.

Now, as a somewhat older dude, I admit I smile when I see devices that are clearly not the least bit futuristic but modern computer tablets. I laugh because I realize a lot of people are sort of going, "Oh that old 1960s stuff is so silly. We know the tech of the 23rd century will actually be like 2023 tech".

But as far as what the tech does, it cannot be inferior to tech we already have. I think they are already doing their best just by, for instance, trying to keep the communicators just communicators.

Likewise, they have to fudge on stuff like the way women were presented in TOS when we have at least advanced beyond that stuff.

I'm a bit less forgiving on stuff like contracting story details. But I recognize the reality that people who were around when TOS first aired are a dying breed and these shows are trying to appeal to an audience that is a product of this culture, not the culture of the 1960s and 1970s.

Plus I loves me the Gorn, cause, like, dinosaurs in starships, and they only had one appearance in TOS. So I'll take 'em even if them fast little guys are already known to the Federation and not exactly consistent with the TOS Gorn.

Star Trek outdated.jpg
    Last edited by Powerboy; 07-26-2023 at 08:12 PM.
    Power with Girl is better.

Ugh... Just when we get a good episode last week here comes Lower Decks to lower the bar again. Quaid and Newsome are good actors too bad their characters are awful IMHO. La'An on the other hand is really growing on me. It's amazing how much better the character is when she isn't doing KHAAAAANNNNN! or Gorn stuff.

Something I have been dreading finally happened. Sigh.... They mentioned Trelane. The second this show was announced I knew that the writers would not be able to resist using this character. Sure, he was mentioned as a joke but you better believe that the writers are working on a Trelane story or already have multiple Trelane stories ready to go and are tying to figure out how to slide them into continuity.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 07-26-2023 at 10:46 PM. Reason: They probably have more than one ready to go
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

I remember the SW prequels did get a lot of criticism for being too 'shiny', at least in TPM.

Although there's kind of an in-universe explanation for this with the Republic becoming the Empire, and generally the aesthetic in the prequels becomes closer to the OT with every film.

Funny thing in SOLO, we literally see the more pristine Falcon turning into it's more familiar form in real-time by all the damage from the Kessel run.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Today's episode was pretty much classic Trek morality play, a bit like The Wounded, Siege of AR-558, Duet, Conscience of the King. Also some similarities to TUC, including some very light foreshadowing of Spock's own diplomacy towards Klingons and a very awkward dinner.

Very dark episode too, kind of interesting they put it between the comedy-oriented Lower Decks one and the musical.

Although the Klingon character could've been developed a bit better, although the focus was mainly on M' Benga (Who we also learn used his Transporter thing he used for his daughter during the war)

The Chapel/Spock thing continues to dissolve.

Clint Howard appears!

continuity-wise it has Klingons with beards and long hair during the war, when I think in Discovery the explanation for bald Klingons in the design was that they shaved their heads during war.

There's also a brief look at a new Federation ship.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 07-27-2023 at 01:20 PM.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    ...I loved how much they played on that scene from "The Cage" where Spock smiled and how much things like that go against the image we have of some of the characters because we only see the big picture and the official history, not the every day stuff.
    You almost had me. I was thinking, "ah, I never even noticed they were covering an unresolved 'why' in canon." Then I remembered "The Cage" predates this series' timeline.

Then I realized you were pointing it out as a wink-at-the-camera.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I did like seeing Pike's crew going through their own noticed hero worship of Archer's crew as well. One could consider these actions silly, but to be honest, I also remember Geordi in First Contact with Zefram Cochrane as well as Ben Sisko getting Kirk's autograph. Senior officers do a better job of hiding their feelings, but this seems to be a fairly common reaction considering.
    Trust me. Any time traveling Marine or Soldier of our era would have a very similar reaction to Chesty Puller or Audie Murphy.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    continuity-wise it has Klingons with beards and long hair during the war, when I think in Discovery the explanation for bald Klingons in the design was that they shaved their heads during war.
    Didn't they allready hand wave the Discovery Klingon issue by stating that they were a sub-culture with specific physical appearance and choice of aesthetic?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I did like seeing Pike's crew going through their own noticed hero worship of Archer's crew as well. One could consider these actions silly, but to be honest, I also remember Geordi in First Contact with Zefram Cochrane as well as Ben Sisko getting Kirk's autograph. Senior officers do a better job of hiding their feelings, but this seems to be a fairly common reaction considering.
    How many Enterprise fans would be happy if Trip shows up and it's revealed he had to fake his death for a super secret mission that ended with him stuck in a time anomaly, which is where the Enterprise finds him?

Come to think of it. If the next season introduces a young Scotty as engineer on the Enterprise, having him meet Trip like that would create a funny synergy with his own later encounter with Geordi.

Today's episode was pretty much classic Trek morality play, a bit like The Wounded, Siege of AR-558, Duet, Conscience of the King. Also some similarities to TUC, including some very light foreshadowing of Spock's own diplomacy towards Klingons and a very awkward dinner.

Very dark episode too, kind of interesting they put it between the comedy-oriented Lower Decks one and the musical.

Although the Klingon character could've been developed a bit better, although the focus was mainly on M' Benga (Who we also learn used his Transporter thing he used for his daughter during the war)

The Chapel/Spock thing continues to dissolve.

Clint Howard appears!

There's also a brief look at a new Federation ship.
    I also thought the Klingon could have been more developed. It sort of reminded me of the Cardassian from a DS9 episode where he was not actually "the butcher" but felt so guilty he wanted to die. The one thing that made me more sympathetic to M'Benga was that this Klingon seemed more focused on being forgiven than making things right although that's just my impression.

I can see this is setting up for possibly Spappel cooling off a bit.

Also, I kind of wish they would introduce the Klingons they should be meeting in this time, which is the far more human looking Klingons.

This episode also made me want to see them start at least mentioning other characters but not bringing them onto the Enterprise. For instance, there's this guy who styles himself a mere country doctor who makes even M'Benga look bad.

Boisterously Confused

Oy, this one was dark. M'Benga is one seriously damaged dude, and I hurt for him.

Q: Is this canonically established as the same M'Benga from TOS, rather than a relative?

Astonishing Member

It's somewhat ironic given the episode preceding it, but the talk M'Benga had with the wounded ensign over what they signed up for with Star Fleet vs. what they do in the war because of their duty, feels oddly related to one of the things Boimler said during his outburst in the previous season of Lower Decks:
    "Without starfleet none of you would exist! We don't want to protect you from the Klingon or the Borg, we just want to explore and study **** quasars. But you know what? It's the right thing to do!"

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Oy, this one was dark. M'Benga is one seriously damaged dude, and I hurt for him.

Q: Is this canonically established as the same M'Benga from TOS, rather than a relative?
    He never had a first name that was mentioned in TOS. It would make no sense that it's a different M'Benga. I think the whole point is that he's a canon TOS character although "canon", when it comes to the prequels, is an ephemeral thing regarding any of it being in the same universe.

Mind you, I mean that in the same sense of whether 2023 Earth 616 Tony Stark is really the same character as 1963 Tony Stark. According to the official Marvel statements, yes. According to lots of fans, no.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post

After this episode, I see a possible exit for M'Benga from the full time Enterprise crew. Either his final contact with Dak'Rah hit the fan (less likely) or M'Benga goes from a starship to a more widespread practice in Starfleet focusing on trauma.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Didn't they allready hand wave the Discovery Klingon issue by stating that they were a sub-culture with specific physical appearance and choice of aesthetic?

How many Enterprise fans would be happy if Trip shows up and it's revealed he had to fake his death for a super secret mission that ended with him stuck in a time anomaly, which is where the Enterprise finds him?

Come to think of it. If the next season introduces a young Scotty as engineer on the Enterprise, having him meet Trip like that would create a funny synergy with his own later encounter with Geordi.
    Think that's more or less what the novels did, with him faking his death to do Section 31 stuff although that was more Reed's thing on the actual show.

As for Scotty, along with Sulu he was among the Where No Man Has Gone Before crew (McCoy and Uhura debuted in Corbomite manuever) so I wouldn't be surprised if he showed up at some point (apart from the voice cameo last season in the alternate future). Same with "scientist" Sulu.

Although I think with the strikes season 3 may take a while to get made (2025?)

Think that's more or less what the novels did, with him faking his death to do Section 31 stuff although that was more Reed's thing on the actual show.

As for Scotty, along with Sulu he was among the Where No Man Has Gone Before crew (McCoy and Uhura debuted in Corbomite manuever) so I wouldn't be surprised if he showed up at some point (apart from the voice cameo last season in the alternate future). Same with "scientist" Sulu.

Although I think with the strikes season 3 may take a while to get made (2025?)
    Actually, McCoy debuted, rather prominently, in the first aired episode, "The Man Trap". Not sure about Uhura. But "The Corbomite Maneuver" was the 10th aired episode so I'm fairly certain Uhura showed up before that. I seem to have a vague memory of her in a uniform that was not red in her first appearance.

Corbomite was the first regular episode filmed after the pilots so time-line wise it goes after them.