Page 77 of 99 FirstFirst ... 276773747576777879808187 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,155 of 1471

I am a little bit disappointed they have done this to Spock's character. Is it a must Spock has a girlfriend. Spock is meant to be an impossible catch. Oh well whatever.

Since Spock is having so many women drama and now, it seems he is with Chapel for the moment. I wonder what is next. They have done Spock/Tpring, Spock/Chapel should I expect to see a Spock/Uhura in the near future and could this be the reason Spock/Chapel break up. By the time we come to the TOS timeline. Spock is

Very flirty with Uhura. Respect and admires her grace and personality. In another timeline, they could have worked.
    Finds Chapel irritating and does not care about her
    Sees Tpring as a lunatic, gives her his blessing to marry Stonn

I much rather liked the A-Sexuality of Spock's character but this show has gone ooc with his relationship with girls, that I cannot now help but wonder what is in store for the Spock/Uhura pairing that was the most liked in TOS apart from Kirk/Spock slash pairing, a pairing the writers may make canon in an alternate timeline since nothing is off the table anymore. Maybe Kirk and Spock are gay and married in another timeline .

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I can't believe I brought up Earth: Final Conflict.
    Loved the first season of Earth: Final Conflict, but yeah, it fell far after they switched out the main actor.

Andromeda was another Roddenberry notion that started out interesting, but went all wonky.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentis View Post
    I am a little bit disappointed they have done this to Spock's character. Is it a must Spock has a girlfriend. Spock is meant to be an impossible catch. Oh well whatever.

Since Spock is having so many women drama and now, it seems he is with Chapel for the moment. I wonder what is next. They have done Spock/Tpring, Spock/Chapel should I expect to see a Spock/Uhura in the near future and could this be the reason Spock/Chapel break up. By the time we come to the TOS timeline. Spock is

Very flirty with Uhura. Respect and admires her grace and personality. In another timeline, they could have worked.

I much rather liked the A-Sexuality of Spock's character but this show has gone ooc with his relationship with girls, that I cannot now help but wonder what is in store for the Spock/Uhura pairing that was the most liked in TOS apart from Kirk/Spock slash pairing, a pairing the writers may make canon in an alternate timeline since nothing is off the table anymore. Maybe Kirk and Spock are gay and married in another timeline .
    Canon-wise Spock gets a girlfriend, Leila, shortly.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Loved the first season of Earth: Final Conflict, but yeah, it fell far after they switched out the main actor.
    Yet somehow remained watchable. It was crazy! I have never and will never again see a bad show that was so confidant

Andromeda was another Roddenberry notion that started out interesting, but went all wonky.
    Two ways of looking at this. Andromeda was a great concept. The problem was it had to cater to Kevin Sorbo, but without Kevin Sorbo it doesn't get made. Star Trek Discovery actually rebooted itself as Andromeda Which...is incredibly bold but I can't help but to think that the concept would have been better served in the Trek universe starting from scratch as opposed to tacking it on to another show.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

There's also the little detail in TNG ("Sarek" I think), that Picard was at the wedding of Sarek's son when he was a lieutenant.

It doesn't reference Spock directly, some have assumed it might be his son with Perrin (his second wife), or another adopted person like Michael.

As for the bride, at least one novel has it be Saavik (According to Picard Saavik commanded the original "Titan"),

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    There's also the little detail in TNG ("Sarek" I think), that Picard was at the wedding of Sarek's son when he was a lieutenant.

It doesn't reference Spock directly, some have assumed it might be his son with Perrin (his second wife), or another adopted person like Michael.

As for the bride, at least one novel has it be Saavik (According to Picard Saavik commanded the original "Titan"),
    True, Spock is not referenced by name, but in the DC comic Modala Imperative (yes, I know not canon), McCoy mentions Spock's wife. Because of the permission given to use Spock in a comic published so close to Spock's TNG appearance, I took the wedding mentioned to be Spock's.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by Valentis View Post

Zarabeth, Leilia, at least one native of Romulus, and a few others would have words with you, sir.

Kirk and Spock being in a closeted relationship would explain a lot, actually, lol.

Spock having many LIs would probably hurt his human half enough to want to purge it all for kolinahr.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 07-15-2023 at 08:10 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

I always saw Spock like Worf where they put their native culture on a pedestal. Worf since he wasn't raised by Klingon's he put them on a pedestal seeing their culture as ideal and putting honor above all else taking the positive aspects of Klingon's to an almost zealot level of admiration while conveniently ignoring the negatives. Yet in a nice scene in season 7 of DS9 Ezri pointed out when was the last time Worf respected a Klingon leader?

Spock was the OG with this perspective he idealized Vulcan culture and wanted to exemplify it to the point he pretty much suppressed all his emotions and even on occasion felt ashamed for being part human. It's why IMO he came off as Asexual Spock took Vulcan suppression of emotions to such an extreme, he never could fine love in the process. It was only through his friendships on the Enterprise did he start to allow his feelings to come out more.

This is definitely a different interpretation of Spock, and it doesn't bother me because head canon wise, I don't think of it as canon to TOS. As someone pointed out writers have always misunderstood the Vulcans seeing them as emotionless while in reality, they are more emotional than humans and it's because of these strong passions they must suppress them or else it could lead them to chaos.

I'm going to give the writers the benefit of doubt and hope they have a plan to get things to TOS status by the end of series and have it make sense.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 07-16-2023 at 04:00 AM.

Worf also comes across as very stoic and reserved compared to other Klingons, I think Jadzia points that out a few times.

Not 'canon' of course but the TNG/Webster clip show/series finale basically had Worf had no idea what fun was and has a "Footloose" town attitude to dancing.

There was that episode of DS9 where Worf and Jadzia go to Risa for their honeymoon, but not only does Worf refuse to participate in any of Risa's hedonism, he joins a group actively resistant to the lifestyle of Risa.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I always saw Spock like Worf where they put their native culture on a pedestal. Worf since he wasn't raised by Klingon's he put them on a pedestal seeing their culture as ideal and putting honor above all else taking the positive aspects of Klingon's to an almost zealot level of admiration while conveniently ignoring the negatives. Yet in a nice scene in season 7 of DS9 Ezri pointed out when was the last time Worf respected a Klingon leader?
    Oh yes, Worf was completely unrealistic about his fellow Klingons. He'd read all sorts of epic Klingon history and tales of honor, only to meet real Klingons and see them using poison, dealing in dirty politics, assassinated people in their way, allying with Romulans against rival Klingon Houses, etc., etc. It was kind of amazing that the 'best' Klingon we've ever seen was raised by humans, and grown up believing what's basically self-aggrandizing Klingon propaganda. He could cry 'dishonor!' and kill anyone who egregious disappointed his rosy-tinted view of his people, but, like a mythological hydra, for every head he cut off, it seemed like two more Klingons behaving 'dishonorably' cropped up...

Spock was the OG with this perspective he idealized Vulcan culture and wanted to exemplify it to the point he pretty much suppressed all his emotions and even on occasion felt ashamed for being part human. It's why IMO he came off as Asexual Spock took Vulcan suppression of emotions to such an extreme, he never could fine love in the process. It was only through his friendships on the Enterprise did he start to allow his feelings to come out more.
    This makes some sense as well. Almost all of the other Vulcans we meet through the show, ranging from Sarek, Stonn and T'Pring in the original series, to Sival in Enterprise, etc. have displayed prejudice, pettiness, even flashes of anger. Spock seems to have tried to become 'more Vulcan than Vulcan' to try and make up for his perceived shortcomings (which his fellow Vulcans, in all their nastiness, have constantly pointed out to him, reinforcing his attempts to 'be more Vulcan').

It's pretty typical for someone of two different cultures to try and double down on one half of said culture so they fit in and feel connected to something.

Oh yes, Worf was completely unrealistic about his fellow Klingons. He'd read all sorts of epic Klingon history and tales of honor, only to meet real Klingons and see them using poison, dealing in dirty politics, assassinated people in their way, allying with Romulans against rival Klingon Houses, etc., etc. It was kind of amazing that the 'best' Klingon we've ever seen was raised by humans, and grown up believing what's basically self-aggrandizing Klingon propaganda. He could cry 'dishonor!' and kill anyone who egregious disappointed his rosy-tinted view of his people, but, like a mythological hydra, for every head he cut off, it seemed like two more Klingons behaving 'dishonorably' cropped up...

This makes some sense as well. Almost all of the other Vulcans we meet through the show, ranging from Sarek, Stonn and T'Pring in the original series, to Sival in Enterprise, etc. have displayed prejudice, pettiness, even flashes of anger. Spock seems to have tried to become 'more Vulcan than Vulcan' to try and make up for his perceived shortcomings (which his fellow Vulcans, in all their nastiness, have constantly pointed out to him, reinforcing his attempts to 'be more Vulcan').
    Don't forget the crew of the USS T'Kumbra and what dicks they were on DS9. Honestly, Tuvok, Saavik, T'Pol, & T'Pol's mom and the Surak cult in the 22nd century are probably the only Vulcans who weren't dicks. Vulcans remind me of Old Money it's all about who's your family, what schools did you attend, what are your manners like, where do you live, where do you vacation, your actual bank account has less to do with it it's all about pedigree it's probably why Old Money act like bitches. It will never matter that Amanda has emerged herself into their culture, learned their traditions and customs, live by their rules she will never be Vulcan and thus will always be lesser than them in their opinions. Sadly, even with his heresy Sybok would be more accepted by most Vulcans than Amanda, Michael Burnham, and even Spock in some cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    There was that episode of DS9 where Worf and Jadzia go to Risa for their honeymoon, but not only does Worf refuse to participate in any of Risa's hedonism, he joins a group actively resistant to the lifestyle of Risa.
    Same ep where he explains why he's so buttoned up compared to other Klingons, if memory serves.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Don't forget the crew of the USS T'Kumbra and what dicks they were on DS9. Honestly, Tuvok, Saavik, T'Pol, & T'Pol's mom and the Surak cult in the 22nd century are probably the only Vulcans who weren't dicks. Vulcans remind me of Old Money it's all about who's your family, what schools did you attend, what are your manners like, where do you live, where do you vacation, your actual bank account has less to do with it it's all about pedigree it's probably why Old Money act like bitches. It will never matter that Amanda has emerged herself into their culture, learned their traditions and customs, live by their rules she will never be Vulcan and thus will always be lesser than them in their opinions. Sadly, even with his heresy Sybok would be more accepted by most Vulcans than Amanda, Michael Burnham, and even Spock in some cases.
    Yeah, the scene with the Vulcan snacks seemed on point. Pike tries to make them good, despite the non-traditional resources he had available to make them, but mean mom doesn't want them *good*, she want's them made exactly the same way as tradition demands.

It's not about the quality of the experience, and certainly not about innovation or cleverness, it's about soullessly reproducing what has come before.

Although if a Vulcan fiance from a family she 100% approved of did something like that, I suspect she would have been all (restrained!) acceptance, and was mostly being a stickler for tradition because she was fishing for things about Spock's ceremony to disapprove of to 'prove' how right she was for not thinking he was right for T'Pring.