Page 68 of 99 FirstFirst ... 185864656667686970717278 ... LastLast
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 1471

Given the time period I think it's very likely that Spock is going thru Pon Farr since Amok Time is seven years away in the timeline.

I will admit I like Chapel in the show, but I mentioned in another thread that she is Chapel in name only to me.

I personally do treat this show much like the Kelvin Timeline it's canon to Trek but not direct Canon to TOS. Now if the show ends with an exterior shot of a refitted Enterprise that looks like the TOS era Enterprise than I'll change my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    The one thing that bothers me is the way Spock is being written. There is no point to this version of Spock ever meeting Kirk. Unlike the original Spock, this version is perfectly fine with being different from other Vulcans and takes no insult to being repeatedly told how different he is. That character trait of overcompensating for the bullying and discrimination he faced for being half-human by attempting to be more Vulcan than other Vulcans, which was so central to who he was - doesn't exist. And with that goes his entire character arc from TOS and the movies. For a character whose journey was about gradually learning to embrace his human side as well as his Vulcan side, to think outside the box, see logic as merely the beginning of wisdom and not the end, and to see that it was occasionally necessary to break the rules, there's nowhere for him to go from here. He's already at the same point as Nimoy's version was in Undiscovered Country.
    The whole "catchphrase" sequence was cringe inducing. Ortegas continues to be the worst character on this show. I use to think she was an Orville refugee but I can say every character on The Orville has surpassed the character.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    A lot of women were thirsty for the dude. Spock was meant to be an unattainable guy and that fascinated women. There was an episode called the man trap, uhura sweetly goes to him and start a conversation in which she admits she was only trying to start a conversation with him. Uhura thirsted as well but it was a lot more subtle and enduring and a lot more limited as you could only do much in the 1960s with a potential interracial couple unless it was meant to draw attention to what was going on then, with the loving vs Virginia court case that made it possible for blacks and whites to marry.

Why this tv show is pushing Chapel as the the now new love interest, who I will argue was the least favorite female character in TOS and the girl Spock least tolerated is silly.

Terrible fight scenes with Chapel and the Doctor of power rangers level. When did they become action space heroes.

Pike was the heart of this series, take him out, the series falls apart. I don't also understand why they all talk like juveleine teenagers and why the Bridge always looks big and empty. Kurtzman Star Trek at its best. My own worst.

In the BTS clips I think they wanted to utilize some of Babs Olusanmokun's real-life fighting skills. He's a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Some of it was shown in the recent Dune movie.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by JT221 View Post
    I am conflicted about the docs. I really like the idea the Klingon War deeply scarred M'Benga. That said, Chappel seems to be the character in name only. I enjoy the take, but it seems a loooooooooooooooong way away from what is seen in the original series.
    Scarring is great character building.

Chapel is pretty open for additional characterization IMHO.

I'm more on about the elite combat training, advanced tactical prowess, shotgunning in the face, etc.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Given the time period I think it's very likely that Spock is going thru Pon Farr since Amok Time is seven years away in the timeline.

I will admit I like Chapel in the show, but I mentioned in another thread that she is Chapel in name only to me.

I personally do treat this show much like the Kelvin Timeline it's canon to Trek but not direct Canon to TOS. Now if the show ends with an exterior shot of a refitted Enterprise that looks like the TOS era Enterprise than I'll change my mind.
    Pretty much this. I really like the show. I like how the actress portrays Chapel and how Spock is portrayed. The romance voyeur in me even likes the hopeless romance angle. It's every bit as "real" as TOS but in another reality where Spock and Chapel have already met, where M'Benga was once the CMO of the Enterprise and where everybody in the universe already knows about and have met the Gorn.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    The one thing that bothers me is the way Spock is being written. There is no point to this version of Spock ever meeting Kirk. Unlike the original Spock, this version is perfectly fine with being different from other Vulcans and takes no insult to being repeatedly told how different he is. That character trait of overcompensating for the bullying and discrimination he faced for being half-human by attempting to be more Vulcan than other Vulcans, which was so central to who he was - doesn't exist. And with that goes his entire character arc from TOS and the movies. For a character whose journey was about gradually learning to embrace his human side as well as his Vulcan side, to think outside the box, see logic as merely the beginning of wisdom and not the end, and to see that it was occasionally necessary to break the rules, there's nowhere for him to go from here. He's already at the same point as Nimoy's version was in Undiscovered Country.
    True. It's as if Ethan Peck's Spock is almost starting where Leonard Nimoy's Spock left off and is growing from there. Or, rather, is quickly learning everything Nimoy Spock learned during his entire run.

I think the show runners realize there is a whole new generation of viewers who have never seen and never will watch TOS so they might as well just approach this with current sensibilities. Mind you, I can see a Spock that has become so open emotionally and gets so hurt or causes hurt that he retreats back into trying to be a super Vulcan. But that's almost more annoying because it's doing what ST novels always had to do which is to hit the reset button at the end of the story.
    Power with Girl is better.

Chapel and M'Benga take an obviously shady formula and show mysterious fighting ability in the first episode of a new season, why is anybody talking about this like it's not going to be followed up on later?

I'm hoping that this is a reboot and they don't hold themselves to getting to the exact same place the original series started on, because it's hard to get invested in a show with a preprogrammed endpoint, but the last episode of season one does not make me hopeful

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    ...I personally do treat this show much like the Kelvin Timeline it's canon to Trek but not direct Canon to TOS...
    Yeah, I agree. Take it for what it is, write off the bumps to alternate reality and be at peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    True. It's as if Ethan Peck's Spock is almost starting where Leonard Nimoy's Spock left off and is growing from there. Or, rather, is quickly learning everything Nimoy Spock learned during his entire run.

I think the show runners realize there is a whole new generation of viewers who have never seen and never will watch TOS so they might as well just approach this with current sensibilities. Mind you, I can see a Spock that has become so open emotionally and gets so hurt or causes hurt that he retreats back into trying to be a super Vulcan. But that's almost more annoying because it's doing what ST novels always had to do which is to hit the reset button at the end of the story.
    The movies kind of did it to him twice; in TMP and IV he had to basically re-learn how to embrace his human side again.

Even Unification, his TNG appearance, shows him being more Vulcan again, although by the '09 movie he seems to be embracing his more emotional aspects again and advises his alternate younger self to do the same.

My current head canon for Spock's relapses of humanity is that they're emotional cycles he goes through. Whether triggered internally or externally, his comfort level with his emotions waxes and wanes over time.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    Chapel and M'Benga take an obviously shady formula and show mysterious fighting ability in the first episode of a new season, why is anybody talking about this like it's not going to be followed up on later?

I'm hoping that this is a reboot and they don't hold themselves to getting to the exact same place the original series started on, because it's hard to get invested in a show with a preprogrammed endpoint, but the last episode of season one does not make me hopeful
    Feels like damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Mighty Member

SNW Director Reveals Why Pike Was Barely in the S2 Premiere Episode

It turns out that Pike's unusual absence in the episodes is because the actor who plays the Enterprise's commanding officer, Anson Mount, had a baby not long before filming. Director Chris Fisher explained the situation on an episode of The 7th Rule podcast.

Ahead of filming, Fisher was told, "Anson just had a baby. He's not really going to be available for this episode." Fisher explained, "It was definitely a challenge too because Anson is such an incredible actor, and Pike is such a great character."

He continued, saying that the episode splitting its focus among the Enterprise's crew "came from the necessity of Anson just had a baby, and he needed to spend time with his kid. So we knew that, of course, and we had nine months to prepare for that, so our showrunners wrote an episode that kicked the door down in terms of fun and action, and really leans heavily on what makes these other characters so awesome."

Oh! That's interesting. Congrats to Anson Mount on becoming a father .

Extraordinary Member

Good for him, choosing to be with his family over shooting a tv show. I always like when celebrities turn out to be good people in real life.

Still kind of really excited for the Rigel 7 episode. The previous mission (prior to "The cage") ended badly for Pike and co., hence why he's sort of in a bad mood at the beginning of that story. So he might have some unfinished business.

Maybe we'll even get a flashback.