Page 71 of 99 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273747581 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 1471

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Anyone know the audience viewership for this series?

Star Trek Prodigy getting cancelled says a lot because Paramount+ was always comparing strange new worlds to prodigy in terms of rating, calling it their most watched trek content after prodigy and that got cancelled.

Paramount+ has also released all of season 1 on youtube for free. episode 1 of season 2 is also free on youtube. ratings must be bad if Paramount is giving away free episode of that amount. I don't see the series getting more than 3 seasons.

This is what happens when you don't care about the lore. they did not learn from discovery that I won't be surprised gets better ratings than this .
    That really sucked about Prodigy.

Were I a writer who was well off enough to pick and choose what he wanted to do and I was offered writing in a pre-existing franchise, I think I'd turn it down no matter how much I loved it because there would always be a contingent that has their vision of what the franchise is and always was and won't tolerate change or what they perceive as the wrong kind of change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDLzLUmtU3w
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Were I a writer who was well off enough to pick and choose what he wanted to do and I was offered writing in a pre-existing franchise, I think I'd turn it down no matter how much I loved it because there would always be a contingent that has their vision of what the franchise is and always was and won't tolerate change or what they perceive as the wrong kind of change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDLzLUmtU3w
    Those parts of fan bases are a minority.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

I was into comics and Star Trek as a kid I also had weight issues, so I probably most definitely considered a nerd.

But if I was working on Star Trek and some Gatekeepers started up on me this would likely be my response.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    One of the highlights of the episode was the characters on each side of the argument. Neera was accused of using the trial as a soapbox which she was, but it was a nuance that happens in these types of struggles often. Neera was the Trek equivalent of a limousine liberal hoping to cash in on her efforts, although not at Una's expense. It paints a more realistic comparison to our real world problems.
    "Limousine liberal" is for those who act like they care about an issue when their actions shows that they are not affected by the issue at all. That doesn't really apply to Neera here at all

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Chapel was also what I will call a secondary character. she was not part of the main 7. I don't know why this show is pushing her so much and she in SNW is more defined here by love for spock, which has now reached the point of retcon since in TOS. Spock was not even aware she had feelings for him, until the end when she confessed her love and he rejected her.
    I just watched Amok Time last week and I can assure you that that is not true.

Also I don't think you've read much YA or watch much CW if you're comparing Spock to those.

Boisterously Confused

Batel is the best friend an ST Captain ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Those parts of fan bases are a minority.
    But loud.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    The trial here wasn't as well done as Data's day in court in "Measure of a Man", Kirk's in "Court Martial" or even Spock's in "the Menagerie", the tension just wasn't there and it didn't have either a twist ending or a moral victory. The characters were still fun to watch and the sets and costuming are gorgeous but th episode just lacked punch, it started out like it was going to really say something about unjust laws but it quickly veered away from that and in the end the status quo was just reset like nothing happened.
    I would personally rate it higher than Court Martial or Menagerie since, in those cases, I don't recall where there was more at stake than the guilt or innocence of one person. I'd compare it more to "Measure" in that there was a whole greater issue going on. I think that, had this been done genuinely first, it might get the accolades. But it will be compared to "Measure". Also, it could not ultimately resolve the issue beyond this one case or "Measure" could never have happened.

Then again, in the novelization of "Encounter at Farpoint", it was stated that the issue was already brought up before Data allowed to attend the Academy and was resolved. As a friend of mine pointed out, that's actually accurate, else he would never have been allowed to attend and gain rank in an organization like Starfleet. But there's no drama in just saying it happened long ago as opposed to having an episode about it.

Episode 3 is up two days early. Wonder if somebody screwed up or this is a sort of a "we're sorry about Prodigy" thing.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Well....that was certainly something. Have a feeling it's going to generate a lot of talk.

Without spoiling too much we get to see more of Wesley's Kirk apart from the mostly command-related stuff from the last season finale. He's not really trying to imitate Shatner or Pine, kind of does his own thing although he gets to flex the character's (well, alternate character's) charm and swagger here, although it still is a bit wooden at times.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 06-27-2023 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Episode 3 is up two days early. Wonder if somebody screwed up or this is a sort of a "we're sorry about Prodigy" thing.
    Somebody must have caught it because, now, it's just the first two.

An admin key broke loose, so about 50% of users got/still have access to episode 3.

You two were lucky!
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

If you had told me that a Star Trek show would have an episode where Khan's descendant who serves on the Enterprise goes on a time-traveling adventure with an AU version of Kirk that would end with her falling in love with him and saving child!Khan from death to maintain the timeline...well, I probably wouldn't have believed you.

It doesn't pay to be the security officer, huh? Imagine filing a noise complaint against Spock.

It's funny how we got two alternate versions of Kirk in two alternate timelines, though we finally see the real one at the end. I guess we'll also see him visit the Enterprise at some point to get that scene of him and Uhura together and to see the first time he met Spock.

You can already tell this is a dark timeline because Kirk not only doesn't know who Spock is but basically abandons him.

I kind of see where people get that Paul Wesley is trying his own interpretation of Kirk rather than just aping or imitating either Shatner or Pine. It's more projecting the characterization or qualities of Kirk rather than trying to mimic past actors' performance. Which is also interesting to think about considering we haven't seen him play the "present day" version of Kirk until, again, the last few minutes.

It's always funny when a shows acknowledge Canada when so many film there but pretend it's somewhere else.

It makes sense Kirk would stand up for his own timeline because it's all he really knows and has everyone he knows and loves...but he can't argue against preventing Earth from becoming a nuclear wasteland or a timeline where his brother is actually alive.

Y'know, the police actually had several valid reasons for arresting Kirk there. I'm not sure how I feel about them basically being bullied into letting him go even if the plot needed to make sure Kirk wasn't in jail.

Time traveling Romulans! You gotta love it. Though La'an also never saw her in her Romulan form which maintains the continuity of the Federation not knowing what Romulans actually look like until TOS, although even if she had seen it's not like she could've told anybody.

The benefit of having immortal crew members is knowing you can get help from them during a time travel arc.

The irony that Khan's descendant would fall in love with Khan's nemesis...sort of. At least they didn't go as far as have Kirk meet kid!Khan.

Can La'an talk to Pia about what she went through? I mean, she would have to remember La'an and that experience, especially when La'an showed up on the bridge in the same outfit Pia first met her in chronologically. Though maybe it's best they let sleeping dogs lie...but La'an really looks like she needs someone to talk to.

When you finally open your heart to someone and have to watch them not only die in your arms but live again as basically someone else. Poor girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's always funny when a shows acknowledge Canada when so many film there but pretend it's somewhere else.
    SKYDOME!!! (In every Trek universe, it was never renamed Rogers Centre)

Time traveling Romulans! You gotta love it. Though La'an also never saw her in her Romulan form which maintains the continuity of the Federation not knowing what Romulans actually look like until TOS, although even if she had seen it's not like she could've told anybody.
    The Romulan mystique was busted with Pike in last season's finale. Also, the mention of the ears was kind of a clue.

Can La'an talk to Pia about what she went through? I mean, she would have to remember La'an and that experience, especially when La'an showed up on the bridge in the same outfit Pia first met her in chronologically. Though maybe it's best they let sleeping dogs lie...but La'an really looks like she needs someone to talk to.
    The focus on the watch on the last scene practically screamed followup approaching.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

I have to give the show credit for nice usage of the Temporal Cold War to explain why the Eugenics Wars didn't happen in the 90's as originally stated in TOS. To be fair it wasn't just SNW and PIC that has visited Earth after the events of the Eugenics War were stated to have happened both ENT and VOY did also.

IMO since the timeline is slightly different than I would add SNW isn't the exact same timeline as TOS. I don't think it replaced TOS but rather has branched off due to the Temporal Cold War.

We'll also probably see some La'an/"real" Kirk stuff later on. There's the scene from the trailer where he beams aboard and Una notices she's nervous.

Funny thing is, the "I'm from space" joke from the trailer also didn't show Kirk's different insignia.