Page 48 of 99 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051525898 ... LastLast

Remember that one of the reasons NBC gave for rejecting "The Cage," was that it was too cerebral, that they wanted a show that was more action-oriented. So of course, Kirk would be more a man of action, more of a cowboy than Pike.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Remember that one of the reasons NBC gave for rejecting "The Cage," was that it was too cerebral, that they wanted a show that was more action-oriented. So of course, Kirk would be more a man of action, more of a cowboy than Pike.
    But that was also Gene Roddenberry putting a slant on it to fit his scenario. Some of the writers said it was really because the studio felt it didn't reflect what the series would be on a weekly basis and they wanted an episode that mostly took place aboard the ship.

That's like Roddenberry's claim that the studio wanted an all-white cast. During that time, the television networks were trying to integrate minorities and a show like Star Trek was a golden opportunity. What they objected to was his specific casting choices. They wanted Diane Carroll as IUhura and Soon Tek Oh as Sulu, both of whom had great auditions and were better actors. The network was already upset at him for casting his own wife as Chapel. According to some of the writers they would have gone through the roof if they knew he was also casting someone he'd had an affair with as Uhura.
    Power with Girl is better.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

So far this is one of my favorite shows. If I had to make one complaint, its the lack of Hemmer.

Despite his minor appearances, I really want to see more of this character.

Funny thing is that Hunter was more of a big action star in the 50s while Shatner was mainly known for Shakespeare and a few TV appearances before Trek.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    So far this is one of my favorite shows. If I had to make one complaint, its the lack of Hemmer.

He apparently has a lead coming up.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Hemmer and Kirk both need more attention.

Think Sam will probably get more to do in the second season which will bring in Jim. Kind of curious if we'll see his wife and sons-which is interesting because in an earlier episode it's stated he has three sons, but we only see Peter later on, although it's possible the other two were simply off-planet/away at School (Which I think was the explanation for Robert Picard not being present in the flashbacks of Picard).

Also would be cool to see George Kirk prime, as Spock mentions in the reboot the prime George saw his son get command of the Enterprise.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 06-12-2022 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Funny thing is that Hunter was more of a big action star in the 50s while Shatner was mainly known for Shakespeare and a few TV appearances before Trek.
    Jeffrey Hunter also played Jesus Christ in King of Kings.
    Watching television is not an activity.

I think it was originally reported that he was a recurring character and I believe he has since been upgraded. It may explain why he has only made minor appearances so far. We may see a bit of an uptick next season.

Incredible Member

"Una, inform the men. I have made it with a woman." - Capt Pike
    Sounds perfect.

Jeffrey Hunter also played Jesus Christ in King of Kings.
    If memory serves, Jeff Hunter made it clear that he would do the pilot but would not stay on for a series as his movie career was doing quite well.

Just watched "The Cage" again with all the casual sexism because the idea of women on active military duty was a big new idea when it was made and fiction reflects the era in which it was made.

I remember seeing TOS as a child. Back then, TOS gave me futuristic feelings of social and technological advancement. Now, it gives me warm, fuzzy, nostalgic feelings of primitiveness and the past. I'm sure that's part of the appeal for people who've been around long enough to see previous versions of ST when they originally aired.

But, of what I've seen of SNW so far, I think it does a fantastic job of taking that exact premise of "The Cage" and Jeffry Hunter's Pike and making it exactly what it should be when translated into the 2020s. I liken it to the Netflix Lost in Space, that this is exactly what it would and should be if made now, true to the spirit, but updated.
    Power with Girl is better.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Re: Serene Squall S1ep7
    OMG they just made ________ from ________ ST movie a player in the series!

spoilers:
    Sybok
    end of spoilers

Great episode!!
    Chapel you sly gal, you liked that ruse moment a bit much. Your poker face is not that strong.

Pike and his plan were great.

The dominant theme in this episode is: Emotion
    From that it played well with both A & B stories. It also allowed for IDIC in how it played out to reveal other questions.

Seven episodes in and this is better than 4 Seasons of DISCO and 2 seasons of PICARD. Both shows had their moments but so far SNW is 7 for 7.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

The only thing I didn't like about this epsidoe was how cartoony they made the head pirate. They did not seem meanacing at all and came off kind of hammy. Other than that a great episode. The reveal at the end was a question I have had every since Discovery first debuted so it is fantastic they are finally touching on it.

This episode was fantastic and really solidified to me an appreciation for the show. Genuinely funny moments and Captain Angel was super cute too.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Kind of interesting that he of course later did a variation of Angel's plot later on but less violently and with a totally different end goal. Plus I'm guessing we might see more of her later on if they develop this plotline further. Also wouldn't be surprised if we saw Sarek and Amanda show up at some point.

Maybe make her a bit like this series' Mudd? I mean we had Mudd in Discovery but I'm pretty sure Spock/Chapel/Uhura have no idea who he was prior to Mudd's Women so he wouldn't fit in. So Angel could work as a sort of recurring pirate/fun character.

Kind of interesting that Paramount kind of fooled everybody by showing pretty much just the laser trap in many of the marketing-made people think the Tholians were going to show up.

Next episode seems pretty amusing, looks like some alternate reality shenanigans.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 06-17-2022 at 10:37 AM.