Page 59 of 99 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It's a Tos Prequel, that really can't be said enough.

If one has trouble accepting the differences in costuming, effects and design you're welcome to create your own head-canon explanation but it's just as easy to say, "it's a tv show not a documentary and this is what the producers think a modern audience expects from a modern sci-fi tv show."
    Ignoring canon undermines it as a prequel, but I think there's a point where you have to take it on its own terms rather than what you want it to be.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Ignoring canon undermines it as a prequel, but I think there's a point where you have to take it on its own terms rather than what you want it to be.
    Exactly. Back in the 1990s, they did a show called "Young Hercules", which was a prequel to "Hercules the Legendary Journeys". The general consensus was that it was a fun show and well worth watching. But, at the same time, it didn't really work as a prequel. There were numerous events that, had Hercules experienced them back when he was a teenager, those similar events as an adult would either never have happened because he would know better or they would happened very differently. So, bottom line. On its own merits: Good, fun show. Worth watching. As a prequel: Not so good. Just consider it a prequel to an alternate reality version of the main show and enjoy it for the fun it is.

Excuse me while I copy and paste and change a few words.

"Strange New Worlds", which is a prequel to "Star Trek". A really good show and well worth watching. But, at the same time, it doesn't really really work as a prequel. There are numerous events that, had, say, Spock, experienced them that early, many later events would either never have happened because he would know better or they would happened very differently because he would be a different person. So, bottom line. On its own merits: Great show. Not just good but great. One of the best versions of TS that's ever been done. Personally, DS9 and TOS are the only ones I like more. and the jury is still out on SNW. Worth watching. But, as a prequel: Not so good. Just consider it a prequel to an alternate reality version of the main show and enjoy it for the greatness that it is. OR, pretend TOS happened a bit differently.

Edit: Just to note, we ALL do that already. Does anybody really include Captain Pike saying "I just can't get used to a woman on the bridge" as canon or do we quietly and politely pretend that those sorts of attitudes were not there?
    Last edited by Powerboy; 09-03-2022 at 12:07 PM.
    Power with Girl is better.

It's a Tos Prequel, that really can't be said enough.

If one has trouble accepting the differences in costuming, effects and design you're welcome to create your own head-canon explanation but it's just as easy to say, "it's a tv show not a documentary and this is what the producers think a modern audience expects from a modern sci-fi tv show."
    I think that's it right there. With all due respect to "Star Trek Continues", that show was fan financed and, hence, was preaching to the choir. It's 2022. You can't make a show for a 1966 audience when the reality is that it's a 2022 audience that will make it or break it.

I realize there is another question: why do a prequel at all instead of moving forward further into the 24th or 25th century? But, contrary to some opinions, I think these people love TOS and see untapped potential in that time and setting. TOS itself was hardly a bastion of continuity, even within the series itself. Okay, so Kirk was now not the first to do everything. But we get the feeling Kirk may turned out to be the best at almost everything. They already met the Gorn according to SNW but Kirk will be the first and only to ever beat a gorn in a one on one close quarters fight. I suspect saying it was a cold environment will have something to do with that since the Metrons said they evened things up to make it a battle of wits, the winner being the one who used his environment better. The Mirror Universe was long since discovered in the D/ SNW setting, but Kirk will be the one who sets in motion the events that bring down the Human Empire. It was Pike who would have screwed up and caused the war with the Romulans but he got time back on track because Kirk's instincts were better ort Kirk was better at going with his instincts. This show does not denigrate Kirk. It makes him out to be one of the greatest prodigies of all time.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I think that's it right there. With all due respect to "Star Trek Continues", that show was fan financed and, hence, was preaching to the choir. It's 2022. You can't make a show for a 1966 audience when the reality is that it's a 2022 audience that will make it or break it.

I realize there is another question: why do a prequel at all instead of moving forward further into the 24th or 25th century? But, contrary to some opinions, I think these people love TOS and see untapped potential in that time and setting. TOS itself was hardly a bastion of continuity, even within the series itself. Okay, so Kirk was now not the first to do everything. But we get the feeling Kirk may turned out to be the best at almost everything. They already met the Gorn according to SNW but Kirk will be the first and only to ever beat a gorn in a one on one close quarters fight. I suspect saying it was a cold environment will have something to do with that since the Metrons said they evened things up to make it a battle of wits, the winner being the one who used his environment better. The Mirror Universe was long since discovered in the D/ SNW setting, but Kirk will be the one who sets in motion the events that bring down the Human Empire. It was Pike who would have screwed up and caused the war with the Romulans but he got time back on track because Kirk's instincts were better ort Kirk was better at going with his instincts. This show does not denigrate Kirk. It makes him out to be one of the greatest prodigies of all time.
    It's also setting Kirk up for one of the fastest multi-rank promotions outside of an actual shooting war. He's got 6 years to go through 3 ranks, since he is supposedly only a Lt currently. Not a Lt Commander, just a basic Lt, although he seems to at least be a Sr grade Lt.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    It's also setting Kirk up for one of the fastest multi-rank promotions outside of an actual shooting war. He's got 6 years to go through 3 ranks, since he is supposedly only a Lt currently. Not a Lt Commander, just a basic Lt, although he seems to at least be a Sr grade Lt.
    Granted, I've only watched the episode once, I thought he was a Captain already?

EDIT:
    Nevermind , that was in the alternative future. My bad!
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Starfleet Officers have on occasions skipped the Commander rank. Lt. Cmdrs can be XOs and if put in a command position and proving their ability as a CO can skip to Captain. So going from Lt to Capt in 6 years ain't too crazy or amazing if the right circumstances happen.

I adore this show. New panel from Dragon Con with Ethan, Jess and Anson. I like what Ethan said about his famous grandpa. Anson is so funny.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Personal dissonance resolution. 80 years made the culture so different but left the tech so similar. I had a tough time buying that.

They had to keep TNGs tech millieu recognizable as Trek. I get that. But S1 TNG seemed to so sterilize the flaws out of humanity, it just felt different to me. Such radical change between the eras in one respect, and such minimal change in another fits more comfortably in my mind as a related but separate continuity.
    TNG seems to be set at a time of relative peace in the galaxy compared to TOS's era in some ways , although it's clear there were some disputes in-between Star Trek VI and Encounter At Farpoint, such as a war with the Cardassians.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Mighty Member

Mighty Member

SNW Introduces New S2 Character in First Look Photo

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds has released a first-look photo of the new recurring engineer character Pelia, who will be joining the series in the upcoming Season 2. Played by Emmy and Oscar-nominee Carol Kane (The Princess Bride, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt), Pelia is described as "highly educated and intelligent, this engineer suffers no fools. Pelia solves problems calmly and brusquely, thanks to her many years of experience." Sounds like she'll fit in just fine with the skilled coordination and wonderfully barbed banter of the Enterprise crew.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Beantownbrown View Post
    Gotta say, I kinda love that moment

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Wow, I wouldn't believe she was 70! Definitely one of the funniest actors around.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Rigel 7 huh? That's why Pike was in such a bad mood in THE CAGE. Although this isn't the same mission of course since it's obviously set after.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Ultimate Member

Wow, I wouldn't believe she was 70! Definitely one of the funniest actors around.
    70??? I thought that was Jane from Ally McBeal.

She can NOT be 70. 50-60 but not 70-what is she doing?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    When I bother to think about it, I consider "The Cage", TOS, and the first six films to share one continuity, TNG/DS9/VOY along with most of the TNG films in another, DIS and SNWs in a third, and both ENT and Generations each in a continuity of their own. But I don't bother to think about it all that much. I just go with what's on the tube.
    It's a prequel.

To a show that NOBODY thought would be seen again after it was axed in first Star Trek series.

All the shows and movies takes elements from that first show and go from there.

TNG-Voyager and the TNG films fit together because they were all made within the same time frame.

The first movie showed an Enterprise we never saw and Enterprise showed one that was never in the first movie.

Enterprise B-C.

Variant Klingons is a whole different conversation.

Yesterday's Enterprise should have tossed out more than Yar's daughter. Who else from that crew had kids?

It's just better to accept they all fit in some way or form and it's best not to try to figure it out.