Page 80 of 99 FirstFirst ... 307076777879808182838490 ... LastLast
Results 1,186 to 1,200 of 1471
    Incredible Member

Interesting watching 30 and 40yo actors play themselves as 20yo Ensigns in the crossover. Not surprisingly, they gave the younger actor significantly more screentime.

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    Interesting watching 30 and 40yo actors play themselves as 20yo Ensigns in the crossover. Not surprisingly, they gave the younger actor significantly more screentime.
    I don't think Mariner is in her 20's her best friend from the Academy is a Captain so I'm assuming about a decade has passed since she graduated the Academy. She's giving Harry Kim a run for being Ensign longest.

As for Boimler hey being a late 24th century boy is rough and ages you look at Jack Crusher.

Not the first time, really.

In TMP it's supposed to be only 2 1/2 years since the Five Year Mission ended (and 4 1/2 since the series ended at "Year 3") however it was a decade for the actors.

The characters are supposed to be in their 20s and 30s at this point with the exception of Scotty and McCoy (late 40s) and I think Spock, although the actors were in their 40s, 50s, and almost 60 (Also Doohan and Kelly).

Although honestly they do mostly pull it off in part due to makeup and everybody ordered to get in a lot of fitness.

With the sequels they actually take place in the "real world" gap from TOS (19-25 years) so they were allowed to look more like their actual ages, especially since it's one of the core themes of Nick Meyer's two films.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Remember when people thought Lower Decks was failing? Lol, it's got four seasons at least now. Strange New Worlds is also getting ranked in the Nielsen top 10 streaming shows too. This year has probably been the best year of Star Trek since the 90's even if something like Prodigy failed.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Both Bajor and Cardassian entries show up in Uhura's PADD so it seems the Federation is aware of them at this point, but couldn't stop the occupation in the next century.
    Considering they know the romulans and even fought a war with them without ever seeing what they look like or learning much about what's behind the borders of their empire at this point, it's rather reasonable that the Federation knows of certain species and even where their border might be allready without having made direct contact or regular flight paths towards them yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I don't think Mariner is in her 20's her best friend from the Academy is a Captain so I'm assuming about a decade has passed since she graduated the Academy. She's giving Harry Kim a run for being Ensign longest.
    Unlike Kim she actualy wants to stay ensign though.

Harry's situation meanwhile is just weird, given that he was basicly command crew by the mid point of the show and acted in a capacity and role close to a lieutenant commander.

If i recall right there were also hints that Mariner is actualy a Dominion war veteran and might have allready been a young adult while on the Enterprise D.

Plus age should be a rather difficult subject to determine in the world of Star Trek anyway given the advanced medical technology ("The doctor gave me a pill and i grew a new kidney!"). If not for the actors actualy aging, it would make sense that the natural life expectancy of humans by the point of Next Generation would be more than a hundred years with effects of aging slowed down.
    Last edited by Grunty; 07-23-2023 at 04:35 PM.

Seems that they're sticking with that the Spock/Chapel thing of course doesn't work out and they're just kind of awkward exes in TOS instead of unrequited love.

Also interesting that they kind of addressed the alien stereotype thing, a frequent criticism of Star Trek and other sci-fi, although other Treks have done that (The Ferengi stellar scientist in TNG, for example).

Thought I recognized the face of the Orion leader-it's the guy who played Joseph Seed in Far Cry 5.

Kind of surprised they kind of missed the chance to have Noel Wells play her character's own grandmother, but oh well.

Also thought they might've made an interesting plot point with the Nausicaan/time portal thing (Implying they might have forgotten ancient tech), but nope, mainly that they just kind of put a note on it.

Some more fuel to my Flint (From TOS) is Lathanite theory with Pelia referring to a friend who became his 'heroes'.

Both Bajor and Cardassian entries show up in Uhura's PADD so it seems the Federation is aware of them at this point, but couldn't stop the occupation in the next century.

There's a neat plot piece about ships that share the same name getting a small piece of the previous ship. Although since Enterprise-A and D were either created or named after their predecessors were destroyed, they probably didn't get the chance. I'm guessing G has a piece of Riker's Titan although I suppose they could've had a piece of the F as it wasn't destroyed, just kind of taken over...as for the B and the E their exact fate is a bit of a mystery...
    I have that same idea that, with a little fudging, Mr. Flint could have been a Lathanite. He could even have been a Lathanite who was lost from his parents and didn't know what he really was and thought he must just be a freak mutation. If the Lathanites are eventually shown to have extremely fast healing, to the point of recovering from otherwise mortal wounds, that would work. But, if he is the person Pelia mentioned, it doesn't work as well. But, alternate reality. Everything doesn't have to be exactly true to TOS.

Showing Bajor and Cardassia as already known to the Federation struck me as a bit like "Enterprise" encountering the Ferengi, a bit of silly name-dropping.

I did hope they would find a way to show live action Tendi and Rutherford. But it was overall a really good yet lighthearted story.

I loved how much they played on that scene from "The Cage" where Spock smiled and how much things like that go against the image we have of some of the characters because we only see the big picture and the official history, not the every day stuff.

Apparently, they are going to play Spapell as a brief anomaly .. The only unfortunate part is if they play Chapel as falling into the same trap as she and all female characters did in TOS, just there to be a love interest (or unrequited love in Chapel's case) for male characters.

It was fun seeing Boimler geeking out like a fan over these people who are historical figures to him, and seeing their reactions to it.
    Power with Girl is better.

The last 2 episodes

I enjoyed Lost in Translation and liked the Kirk Scenes cheeky making Pike a "Fleet Captain" in the episode to keep continuity with TOS and Kirk mentioning meeting Pike when he became Fleet Captain.

Thought the crossover episode was fun nice inside joke that Ransom thinks Number One is the hottest First Officer ever. Also, I like that thru this episode they acknowledge Spock is acting different and I'm happy the show is doing a story with it vs just having him acting different for no reason. I wonder if he loses his memories of this and thus his memories of ever being in a relationship with Chapel hence her longing for him in TOS.

Edit: While in reverse Adam West voiced Batman in the last two incarnations of Superfriends and of course as the Gray Ghost in BTAS and the 2 Return of the cape Crusaders movies.
    I think it's more in the way of them knowing that the Gorn exist ten years and more before Kirk's Enterprise encounters them for the first time with no idea who they are and other choices to play a bit fast and loose with canon. I think these versions of Spock and Chapel will never fit 100% with TOS and the writers know that but they are trying to do a prequel to a show from sixty years before and they've made the choice to play a bit fast and loose with this just as they've done the same thing with the casual 1960s sexism.

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    I thought that too. The animated versions feel like they are younger, 20-somethings.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    It was fun seeing Boimler geeking out like a fan over these people who are historical figures to him, and seeing their reactions to it.
    I did like seeing Pike's crew going through their own noticed hero worship of Archer's crew as well. One could consider these actions silly, but to be honest, I also remember Geordi in First Contact with Zefram Cochrane as well as Ben Sisko getting Kirk's autograph. Senior officers do a better job of hiding their feelings, but this seems to be a fairly common reaction considering.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Kind of interesting in TNG the adventures of Kirk and Co. aren't really venerated as much by that crew. Think it was because at first Gene wanted the series to do it's own thing at first.

And of course in DS9 Bashir and Odo are totally in the dark about the Klingons that Kirk frequently fought.

Kind of interesting in TNG the adventures of Kirk and Co. aren't really venerated as much by that crew. Think it was because at first Gene wanted the series to do it's own thing at first.

And of course in DS9 Bashir and Odo are totally in the dark about the Klingons that Kirk frequently fought.
    DISCO, SNW, & LD have a habit of occasionally writing characters like 21st century Fanboys and Fangirls.

As for Boimler hey being a late 24th century boy is rough and ages you look at Jack Crusher.
    They mentioned in the Ready Room that they play fast and loose with the age of the characters in Lower Decks, but they did use the phrase "quarterlife crisis" in this episode

DISCO, SNW, & LD have a habit of occasionally writing characters like 21st century Fanboys and Fangirls.
    What happens when the inmates start running the asylum...

Think in the original Trek there wasn't anything particularly special about the Enterprise-other starships probably ran into weird stuff like they did, although many didn't make it out or they were picking up the mess of a wayward captain.

Think the movies largely started the trend of it and it's crew being 'special'. Especially since it directly saves the Earth twice. Even then in TWOK/TFSF it's relegated to training duty and decommissioning, and apart from Kirk the crew are treated somewhat poorly by fellow members of Starfleet. TNG of course made it's Enterprise the Federation flagship I think in season one.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 07-24-2023 at 11:57 AM.

Think in the original Trek there wasn't anything particularly special about the Enterprise-other starships probably ran into weird stuff like they did, although many didn't make it out or they were picking up the mess of a wayward captain.

Think the movies largely started the trend of it and it's crew being 'special'. Especially since it directly saves the Earth twice. Even then in TWOK/TFSF it's relegated to training duty and decommissioning, and apart from Kirk the crew are treated somewhat poorly by fellow members of Starfleet. TNG of course made it's Enterprise the Federation flagship I think in season one.
    In TOS, the Enterprise wasn't the flagship yet. That came some time later. Not even sure it was the flagship in the TOS movies.

But, by virtue of being the first and only Star Trek show at the time, they did almost everything first.

First to time travel: The Naked Time and Tomorrow is Yesterday.

First to be sent on an intentional time travel mission in Assignment: Earth.

First to encounter the Gorn.

I wouldn't say the first to encounter non-corporeal aliens since they don't seem shocked at a Thalasian appearing on the bridge in "Charlie X".

Probably the first to encounter something on the power level of Trelane.

The ones that discovered the existence of the Mirror Universe in "Mirror, Mirror".

And so on.

I don't think shows like Enterprise, "Discovery" and SNW really undermine these things because most people don't take retroactive continuity all that seriously in most cases. Rehashing that stuff instead of finding something different to do just makes one group of people dismiss a show entirely (which I think is stupid to not judge the quality on its own merits), another group shunt it into an alternate reality (that's me) and another accept it as canon in the core setting.

Incidentally, loved "Those Old Scientists" (TOS). But, as usual, Star Trek has time travel work however they want it to work for that story.

This one falls into: You can change the past, which could cause the future you knew to be erased. Likewise, that alternate future can be erased by going back and correcting the things you changed.

Then there's the Kelvin timeline: Changing the past just causes a divergent timeline. The future you "changed" did not change *at all*. It's still next door and perfectly happy. You just now live in another reality. There's no point going back and trying to correct it because that will just create yet another timeline that does not stop the first two (Prime and Kelvin, in this case), from existing.