Page 9 of 99 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Combs could always show up in the MCU.
    Just have him play ALL the roles in the MCU!

(I jest, but I'm sure he would sign up for the challenge)

The tricky thing, and this is now off-topic, is that casting the right role for Combs is hard given the MCU's breadth and source material, especially now with the additions of the other properties, as well as the range of Combs himself.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Just have him play ALL the roles in the MCU!

(I jest, but I'm sure he would sign up for the challenge)

The tricky thing, and this is now off-topic, is that casting the right role for Combs is hard given the MCU's breadth and source material, especially now with the additions of the other properties, as well as the range of Combs himself.
    Somebody creepy, but perhaps not outright evil

Reading the character breakdowns leads me to one question: Where are the alien crew? I know TOS was 99% human crew but even ENT had 2 aliens on the main cast.
    Somebody creepy, but perhaps not outright evil
    He would have been an excellent Loki without the annoying fangirl sexy factor.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Reading the character breakdowns leads me to one question: Where are the alien crew? I know TOS was 99% human crew but even ENT had 2 aliens on the main cast.
    I noted that they focused on their ethnicity, which suggested Earth-human, but then remembered Voyager, with a black Vulcan and a latina Klingon, so who knows?

Ultimate Member

He would have been an excellent Loki without the annoying fangirl sexy factor.
    If I've learned one thing as a fan of anything, it's that people will fanboy/fangirl over anyone/anything

I always thought that they kind of implied that Number One, while human, was not born on Earth.
    Watching television is not an activity.

If I've learned one thing as a fan of anything, it's that people will fanboy/fangirl over anyone/anything
    Case in point: Shran/Soval and Shran/Archer shipping memes. Yes, they're a thing. (they're hilarious, but they don't appear in a vacuum)

Ultimate Member

Case in point: Shran/Soval and Shran/Archer shipping memes. Yes, they're a thing. (they're hilarious, but they don't appear in a vacuum)
    I hadn't even heard of those!

Boisterously Confused

Well, technically, as Star Trek happens in space...

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I am super pumped for ST:SNW as I'm sure most are who saw Disco S2.
    Hearing that this show will be largely episodic is a good break from just one overall arc. The article also said underlying arc in the episodic arcs.
    This is it seems a blend of TOS and TNG. TOS only did episodic and TNG would revisit character growth in arcs of a season.

The nitpick in me will be curious to see if the bridge has actual button and toggle switches or if it oddly touchscreen.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Hearing that this show will be largely episodic is a good break from just one overall arc. The article also said underlying arc in the episodic arcs.
    This is it seems a blend of TOS and TNG. TOS only did episodic and TNG would revisit character growth in arcs of a season.

The nitpick in me will be curious to see if the bridge has actual button and toggle switches or if it oddly touchscreen.
    I say leave the toggles and buttons in the past. Those are simply an artifact of being a TV series in the 60's and were simply the best they could do with the budget they were given to show the audience what they thought the future would look like...and that's not the case anymore. The future isn't going to have analog controls and computers aren't going to have reel to reel memory because our own technology in the present is past that, so a show made now has to give its audience the best view of what it thinks technology will look like in the future using the budgets we have now and what our technology currently looks like.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I say leave the toggles and buttons in the past. Those are simply an artifact of being a TV series in the 60's and were simply the best they could do with the budget they were given to show the audience what they thought the future would look like...and that's not the case anymore. The future isn't going to have analog controls and computers aren't going to have reel to reel memory because our own technology in the present is past that, so a show made now has to give its audience the best view of what it thinks technology will look like in the future using the budgets we have now and what our technology currently looks like.
    Yeah, I don't have a problem with that.

This sounds more like a soft reboot than a prequel to me.

Either way, this is the first new Trek series I've been pumped for! I've watched the new ones but this one ... I am really excited for.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Sounds like a good gameplan.

Dollars to donuts, the DSC "revisionism" will remain intact. Could be interesting to see if they "evolve" the show to the TOS-era look (a la the Star Wars prequels), but seeing how the current run of the franchise sees everything as falling under artistic license, I assume they're just going to ignore the discrepancies between the shows.

(IMHO, this bugs me to no end, but I've kinda accepted that the Star Trek canon is broken, so we should just accept the new stuff on its own terms and, so far, they've been good on that.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)