Page 14 of 99 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Going to be an Andorian on the Enterprise.

Counting Spock, that's 2 whole named aliens on the Enterprise. I'm surprised they didn't add M'ress from the 70's animated series.

Now that make up and effects are up to the task there's no need for Federation crews to look as human-centric as they do.

Voyager was kind of the exception with that and even there, Kes and Neelix technically weren't Federation crew.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Andorians, while more developed during Archers's Enterprise, still have a lot as a Federation member species to be explored.
    Looking forward to this addition.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Andorians, while more developed during Archers's Enterprise, still have a lot as a Federation member species to be explored.
    Looking forward to this addition.
    I very much enjoyed the deep dives we got with Bajorans, Ferengi, Klingons and Cardassians as regulars are DS9, so I hope with an Andorian regular cast-member on SNW, we'll get some similar close-ups on their people and culture.

But, gosh, I'm long past ready for a Gorn regular. But are the effects good enough / affordable?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I very much enjoyed the deep dives we got with Bajorans, Ferengi, Klingons and Cardassians as regulars are DS9, so I hope with an Andorian regular cast-member on SNW, we'll get some similar close-ups on their people and culture.

But, gosh, I'm long past ready for a Gorn regular. But are the effects good enough / affordable?
    Possibly for a recurring guest character, but Idk for a main cast member

Yeah TNG and it's immediate spinoffs pretty much ditched a lot of the 'core' TOS aliens with the exception of, naturally, Vulcans/Klingons/Romulans. I think the only Andorian we ever see in TNG is the really weird-looking one in the holodeck that is a possible body for Lal, with a HUGE wig and really, really long antennae. Plus, more green than blue. DS9 mentioned Orions several times but I don't think they ever showed up, just human or other alien members of their syndicate.

Of course then they came back pretty much in Enterprise and Discovery (And to a degree Abrams's films as well). One thing I found kind of cool about Discovery is that they also managed to incorporate some of the seldom-seen TMP aliens such as Saurians and Beetleguisians.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 09-13-2021 at 11:35 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Incredible Member

Obviously non-canon but as a fan of the Marvel's Early Voyages comic series set on Pike's Enterprise I would have loved for them to include Nano as an alien regular.

Also if they must do another series set in the 23rd century I would have preferred to be after Kirk's five year mission. Sure, we can get Andorians, Tellarites and Orions but I would love to see Gorns and Tholians as well as check in with other races that Kirk made first contact with which this series can't do...at least not without violating canon.

A lot of novels/comics have tackled the TOS/TMP gap. Not sure we'll get a canon version, but I suppose it's possible. Might work better in animation. I wonder how the current team would handle how the crew mostly seemed to drift apart. Although Uhura, Chekhov, Sulu and Scotty seemed to mostly stick around and remained part of the crew, it's obvious that the "big three" didn't.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    A lot of novels/comics have tackled the TOS/TMP gap. Not sure we'll get a canon version, but I suppose it's possible. Might work better in animation. I wonder how the current team would handle how the crew mostly seemed to drift apart. Although Uhura, Chekhov, Sulu and Scotty seemed to mostly stick around and remained part of the crew, it's obvious that the "big three" didn't.
    How much time was between TOS and TMP, anyway?

Who was Captain directly after Kirk for that period, Decker?

As I remember it, Kirk got promoted out of the Captain's chair, Bones took retirement and I forget what Spock did. I think he went back to Vulcan.

It seems post TOS, Spock had very little interest in getting his own command.

Ultimate Member

Tbh, the whole refusing a promotion thing that happens in Star Trek never made sense to me

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post

As I remember it, Kirk got promoted out of the Captain's chair, Bones took retirement and I forget what Spock did. I think he went back to Vulcan.

It seems post TOS, Spock had very little interest in getting his own command.
    Two and a half years, per comments r.e. how long since Kirk had been captain and the length of the Enterprise's refit (since the TOS/TAS five year mission ended in 2270, that would be c. mid-2273).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post

Largely that has been assumed but we don't really know. Fandom has "head canon'd" that one.

What we do know is that as of TMP, Deck is captain but we don't officially know if he's been captain since Kirk stepped down or if there was someone else in "the chair" before him.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Tbh, the whole refusing a promotion thing that happens in Star Trek never made sense to me
    In a society where money (or having "things") wasn't as big of a deal, I think it would make more sense. More people would just do what they like to do and wouldn't want the responsibility of command.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    In a society where money (or having "things") wasn't as big of a deal, I think it would make more sense. More people would just do what they like to do and wouldn't want the responsibility of command.
    Maybe, but they can't be stuck in the same job forever, can they?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Maybe, but they can't be stuck in the same job forever, can they?
    It isn't being stuck if you enjoy it and find yourself fulfilled doing it.

The dialogue in TMP seems to suggest that the Enterprise pretty much underwent the massive refit as soon as she returned from the five year mission and Kirk released command. There's also cut dialogue from one of the new alien crewmembers (It's in some alternate versions of TMP I think though) that Decker has pretty much been captain "every minute of the refitting".

Between TMP and TWOK I guess he gives up command again and becomes an Admiral again (although I think more in charge of academy stuff than the more senior position he seemed to have in TMP), letting Spock take over, although it's unclear when. I think Generations implies he actually might've retired from the job for a time but went back when he became a "teaching admiral".