Page 1 of 99 123451151 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Pike, Spock and Number One are getting their own series

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds Pike Spinoff Officially Announced by CBS All Access

Mixed feelings. Pike's character was incredible in Discovery so I'm glad I'll see more of him.

But there isn't really a lot that can be done with series as we know where Pike, Spock, and the Enterprise will end up thus there can never really be any stakes with them. Unless they go full new timeline with Pike dodging his fate but then that creates a whole new can of worms.

The original pilot finally goes to series .

I'm guessing that at some point a young Kirk and Gary Mitchell will be brought in towards the end of the series.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I'm really excited for this. I know that we know the outcome and there are no stakes per se, but if this is going to be a real return to form for Star Trek, were there ever any real stakes? You always knew that Kirk, Spock and McCoy were going to make it to the next episode. It'll be the same with Pike, Spock and Number One (though we know very little about her, lots to explore there).

I'm most excited to spend more time with Pike who could definitively take over as my favorite Star Trek captain without the asterisk and spending more time on that gorgeous recreation of the original Enterprise.

Ultimate Member

Looks fun! I care not about 'knowing how it ends.' I know how Titanic ends. I know how Passion of the Christ ends. I know how Lord of the Rings ends. Doesn't change whether or not they're enjoyable movies!

Gosh, a chance to see characters like Gary Mitchell, pre-nutjobbery? Could be awesome!

I kind of *don't* want to see a young Kirk. A young Spock is tolerable, since he was supposed to be significantly older than everybody else, but I'd rather meet some new folk than see version X of Chekov or Bones or Uhura.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Looks fun! I care not about 'knowing how it ends.' I know how Titanic ends. I know how Passion of the Christ ends. I know how Lord of the Rings ends. Doesn't change whether or not they're enjoyable movies!

Gosh, a chance to see characters like Gary Mitchell, pre-nutjobbery? Could be awesome!

I kind of *don't* want to see a young Kirk. A young Spock is tolerable, since he was supposed to be significantly older than everybody else, but I'd rather meet some new folk than see version X of Chekov or Bones or Uhura.
    The only character I might want to see is Scotty, another character who is supposed to be a bit older and I kind of like the idea of him being another character who has been on ship for a while. No one loves the Enterprise more than him, so it'd would make sense for him to be there before Kirk takes over.

The only time I want to actually see Kirk is if we get to a point where Kirk takes the ship from him. Last scene and have them do the transfer of command. That's it.

What would have happened if they kept Pike as the lead?, was always a pretty big "What if?" in pop culture.

From the engadget.com article.

"We don’t have a release date yet, but it appears contentious Discovery showrunner Alex Kurtzman will play a role in Strange New Worlds. CBS says he helped write the series premiere and is serving as an executive producer."

Everything you want in the worst possible way lol. At this point I really should know better. After Discovery and Picard I know what I'm in for. I know that the three leads are not going to be able to overcome Kurtzman habits. I know that the first few episodes will be filled with promise and lull me into a false sense of security. I know that someone will drop an F-bomb to come off as edgy but forget that modern curse words will have lost all their shock by then and be seen as quaint. I know that the first season will end with a giant space battle more reminiscent of Star Wars than Trek complete with fighter craft pouring out of the Enterprise.

But I'm going to watch it anyway. Here is a link to the article https://www.engadget.com/star-trek-s...161152028.html
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    From the engadget.com article.

"We don’t have a release date yet, but it appears contentious Discovery showrunner Alex Kurtzman will play a role in Strange New Worlds. CBS says he helped write the series premiere and is serving as an executive producer."

Everything you want in the worst possible way lol. At this point I really should know better. After Discovery and Picard I know what I'm in for. I know that the three leads are not going to be able to overcome Kurtzman habits. I know that the first few episodes will be filled with promise and lull me into a false sense of security. I know that someone will drop an F-bomb to come off as edgy but forget that modern curse words will have lost all their shock by then and be seen as quaint. I know that the first season will end with a giant space battle more reminiscent of Star Wars than Trek complete with fighter craft pouring out of the Enterprise.

But I'm going to watch it anyway. Here is a link to the article https://www.engadget.com/star-trek-s...161152028.html
    It'd make sense if Kurtzman was onboard for basic oversight to make sure that the general era of Trek had some sort of consistency to it, with this show having a someone else as showrunner.

I think of how important it was for Berman to have oversight of both Voyager and DS9, and yet Berman wasn't the showrunner for either show. Even though both were in the same universe, they got to have their own flavor, but he was much more hands on with Voyager. If Berman was simultaneously the head of DS9, the show also wouldn't have been nearly as good as it turned out to be (seriously, so many great creative decisions and gambles that paid off on that show were consistently refused by Berman, with the writers outmaneuvering or working around him to get it done).

In theory, I'd be fine with Kurtzman being involved just so long as it means someone else leads this show.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Not interested in any more Starfleet shows. Come up with a GotG/Firefly type show focusing on civilians with no Prime Directives or buttinski admirals, and we'll talk.

Kind of got that with Picard, although a couple members of his crew were ex-starfleet it was still kind of a "rag tag" kind of crew.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Sounds like a fun time to me, I loved the actors in what we saw in Discovery.

A few extra thoughts:

-Are Colt and Phillip Boyce ever brought up in Discovery? Could put them in the crew I think, although maybe change them a little bit since they're sort of proto-Rand and McCoy.

-Maybe show what happened with Spock and Leila, the sort of ex-girlfriend from "This Side of Paradise".

-There's also stuff they can do with Kirk here, such as the Farragut inciddent and Carol Marcus. (I've already mentioned Gary of course).

-Funny thing is, this is pretty much the same time the Kelvinverse adventures are happening. It could be a fun nod if perhaps Zachery Quinto's Spock somehow winds up meeting the cocurrent version of his prime counterpart.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Not interested in any more Starfleet shows. Come up with a GotG/Firefly type show focusing on civilians with no Prime Directives or buttinski admirals, and we'll talk.
    We had that show already, it was called "Picard". To quote Picard "It was an unmitigated disaster."

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisll
    -There's also stuff they can do with Kirk here, such as the Farragut inciddent and Carol Marcus. (I've already mentioned Gary of course).
    They have nailed the casting. I'm down to see what they can do with Kirk.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 05-15-2020 at 01:00 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

BANNED

Cool. I enjoyed both Discovery and Picard but this might be the best one yet. Really liked Pike and Spock in STD.