Page 38 of 99 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041424888 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a;6053436[B
    ]I'm glad the vast majority of you are being reasonable in response to this talk about Celia Rose Gooding's appearance, which seems based on the pushback modern Trek has for being 'too liberal'. Yeah, so she's bi and goes by they/she.[/B] And? I think she's cute as a button no matter what hair style she has, and she isn't being butchified or whatever. Short hair =/= sexy? Hi, Kira/Intendent! How about no hair? Hi, Lieutenant Ilia!
    Anyhoo... Back to the show!
    Is it? Cool. I didn't see previews beyond the transporter scene. Keep hitting the one-and-dones like the first two episodes and I'll be happy. And we've got a holodeck malfunction-esque episode coming up, too, complete with fancy dress and the crew having to act and interact in a world out of their control.
    I don't know if words can describe my credulity at the idea that Star Trek *recently* became "woke". It's not like there was an episode called "Metamorphosis", which, metaphorically, defended all sorts of relationships that would have been considered absolutely taboo in the 1960s. There also wasn't any episode like "Plato's Step-children" in which there was a black/ white kiss that the Conservatives of that era would react to every bit as negatively as todays Conservatives react to gay relationships, Trans, etc.

I think the only difference now is that it usually isn't metaphorical so Conservatives actually get what they are saying. There's also the factor that people who were not even born in the 1960s grew up in a world where more Liberal ideas changed the world and they (many, anyway) accept things like interracial relationships since that horse was out of the gate before they were even born. But, when they see the Star Trek of today doing exactly what Star Trek, at it's best, has always done, push boundaries for people's rights and freedom, they balk because it's stuff that are hotbed issues right now.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Just watched the latest episode and I really enjoyed the focus on Una and Doctor M'Benga. Strange New Worlds really does continue to knock it out of the park.
    I've only seen the first episode. But I am getting the impression that the events of "The Cage" have already happened. There were several references to something that happened that is so classified that it makes Pike seeing his own future fate seem like nothing by comparison.

This would also explain why many of the crew that was there for that event, like Dr. Boyce, aren't there anymore, because Pike took an extended leave before returning. That's clever because it opens the door to characters like Dr. M'Benga, along with Uhura and Chapel. It also allows them to not have to rehash "The Cage" directly but just say it happened.

3 for 3, another great episode.

I enjoyed getting to know Number One better, the doctor is now making it hard for me to get excited for Bones (man he killed it this episode), Uhura is a gem as always, and the Spock/Pike subplot was fun and well executed.

Chapel was great in her bits. The new engineer chief is a nice personality to have to contrast the others. Even the short bit with the security chief and Number One was a nice way to take some edge off of La'an.

The way the virus spread was a nice spin on transmission.

Best line:
    Pike "Does that thing have a setting for stun?"
    Spock "I am arming us with knowledge."
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 05-19-2022 at 08:01 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Strange New Worlds
    Season One
    Episode 3
    Title: Una hides the fact that she is Illyrian because Starfleet wouldn't approve of GENETIC MODIFICATION BUT THEY DID IT IN THE FIRST EPISODE AND SINGH IS IN STARFLEET

Previously on Strange New Worlds...wait why are we doing this? This is a streaming show. All the episodes are accessible. The audience isn't stupid. Let's just get to the show.

Una: Pike! The episode just started.

Pike: Already!?

Una: They skipped the "Previously On Strange New Worlds"!

Pike: Oh! Uh...genetic modification makes people nervous huh?

Una: Yeah! Yeah!

Pike: I'll get Spock and you beam up with the rest.

Una: Okay

(Enterprise!)

Chen: I'm having trouble beaming them up

Hemmer: Try turning the teleporter off waiting three minutes and then turning it back on.

Chen: Cool thanks.

(The Planet)

Pike:Soooo we are stuck here right?

Spock: Yes

Pike: How long?

Spock: Entire episode

(bridge Of The Enterprise!)

Una: Captain and Spock are stuck on the surface. I could have told you this before I got here but I wanted to show off how badass I looked in this jacket.

(Enterprise Deck 14)

Ortegas observes a crewmember waddling around in underwear in the halls pressed against lights and has this exchange

Ortegas: Ensign Lance, you all right?

Lance: It's too dark in here

Ortegas: Okay it's been a long day for all of us, but maybe this is something you should do in your own quarters?

Lance: Need to feel the light on my skin

Ortegas: Whatever tweaks your freak pal.

(THEN SHE JUST KEEPS WALKING. SHE MAKES NO EFFORT TO CALL SECURITY OR REPRIMAND THIS ENSIGN WHO IS ACTING STRANGE AND WALKING AROUND IN UNDERWEAR BABBLING ABOUT NEEDING LIGHT. ORTEGAS IS MORE THAN HAPPY TO LEAVE HIM THERE.)

Lance: (smashes head against glass to get at light)

Ortegas: What the hell are you doing?! Ortega to security! I need help on deck 14!

NOW SHE DECIDES TO CALL SECURITY. BETTER LATE THAN NEVER. KEEP IN MIND ORTEGAS IS SUPPOSED TO BE A LIEUTENANT.

(Una's quarters)

Una:Wow, light is awesome. Wait I'm glowing. Better call sickbay.

(Sickbay!)

M'Benga: They are obsessed with lights.

(Engineering!)

(Hemmer after being grilled)

Hemmer: I can sense that face you know

Una: Yeah, but I'm hot no matter what face I make.

(Ready Room!)

Singh walks in

Una: Ugh...are we going to have to talk about Khan?

Singh: It's the whole point of my character.

Una: Doctor, Singh is infected!

Singh: No I'm not! You just don't want to talk about Khan!

Una: Yes you are. Get out

(Sickbay)

Una: Hey you want to hang out while Hemmer and M'Benga argue over a teleporter?

Uhura: Okay.

(Sickbay)

Una: It Has to be completely dark

Enterprise goes dark.

Una: Now if you excuse me I have to get to the teleporter and stun Hemmer and do an empowering slow motion Star Trek Discovery style walk that will cause everyone in the audience to sigh.

She does!

Audience: Sigh...

(Planet!)

Energy beings shield Spock and Pike

Pike: That's it?

Spock: That's it.

(Enterprise!)

Chapel: How are you carrying him?!

Una: I think it's pretty obvious that it's a dummy

Chapel: Oh yeah it is.

M'Benga: I'm infected.

Una: Use my blood

M'Benga: Can't burns out everything too fast. Put me out.

(Warp Core!)

Una: Stop!

Singh: Talk to me about Khan or I blow up the ship!

Una: I DON'T WANT TO! NO ONE WANTS TO!

(Planet!)

Pike: We shouldn't be so quick to judge people who augment themselves.

Spock: ......

(Enterprise!)

Una:Everything cool here in sickbay since I used Singh to help make a cure after kicking her butt?

M'Benga: Yep.

(Cafeteria!)

Singh: All my life I hated augments...

Una: You were right to. Augments are awful, luckily I'm a Illyrian. Illyrians rule Augments drool!

(Pike's Office!)

Una: I'm here too resign

Pike: No

Una: No?

Pike: You realize that if you leave Singh becomes the new number one? All she is going to do is try to talk about Khan.

Una: Yeah, she is the worst.

(Sickbay!)

Una: What's in the teleporter?

M'Benga: You remember that Star Trek: The Next Generation Episode where Scotty preserved himself and another guy in the teleporter but the other guy died?

Una: No...freaking...way!

M'Benga: Yep, it's my daughter.

Una: I'll give you a bigger battery

(Una's quarters)

Una: Three episodes in. This episode wasn't good. It was okay, but coming from this team of creators and being that we are at the point where a Kurtzman show crashes I'll take it.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 05-19-2022 at 09:27 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Incredible Member James Cameron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Strange New Worlds
    Season One
    Episode 3
    Title: Una hides the fact that she is Illyrian because Starfleet wouldn't approve of GENETIC MODIFICATION BUT THEY DID IT IN THE FIRST EPISODE AND SINGH IS IN STARFLEET

Previously on Strange New Worlds...wait why are we doing this? This is a streaming show. All the episodes are accessible. The audience isn't stupid. Let's just get to the show.

Una: Pike! The episode just started.

Pike: Already!?

Una: They skipped the "Previously On Strange New Worlds"!

Pike: Oh! Uh...genetic modification makes people nervous huh?

Una: Yeah! Yeah!

Pike: I'll get Spock and you beam up with the rest.

Una: Okay

(Enterprise!)

Chen: I'm having trouble beaming them up

Hemmer: Try turning the teleporter off waiting three minutes and then turning it back on.

Chen: Cool thanks.

(The Planet)

Pike:Soooo we are stuck here right?

Spock: Yes

Pike: How long?

Spock: Entire episode

(bridge Of The Enterprise!)

Una: Captain and Spock are stuck on the surface. I could have told you this before I got here but I wanted to show off how badass I looked in this jacket.

(Enterprise Deck 14)

Ortegas observes a crewmember waddling around in underwear in the halls pressed against lights and has this exchange

Ortegas: Ensign Lance, you all right?

Lance: It's too dark in here

Ortegas: Okay it's been a long day for all of us, but maybe this is something you should do in your own quarters?

Lance: Need to feel the light on my skin

Ortegas: Whatever tweaks your freak pal.

(THEN SHE JUST KEEPS WALKING. SHE MAKES NO EFFORT TO CALL SECURITY OR REPRIMAND THIS ENSIGN WHO IS ACTING STRANGE AND WALKING AROUND IN UNDERWEAR BABBLING ABOUT NEEDING LIGHT. ORTEGAS IS MORE THAN HAPPY TO LEAVE HIM THERE.)

Lance: (smashes head against glass to get at light)

Ortegas: What the hell are you doing?! Ortega to security! I need help on deck 14!

NOW SHE DECIDES TO CALL SECURITY. BETTER LATE THAN NEVER. KEEP IN MIND ORTEGAS IS SUPPOSED TO BE A LIEUTENANT.

(Una's quarters)

Una:Wow, light is awesome. Wait I'm glowing. Better call sickbay.

(Sickbay!)

M'Benga: They are obsessed with lights.

(Engineering!)

(Hemmer after being grilled)

Hemmer: I can sense that face you know

Una: Yeah, but I'm hot no matter what face I make.

(Ready Room!)

Singh walks in

Una: Ugh...are we going to have to talk about Khan?

Singh: It's the whole point of my character.

Una: Doctor, Singh is infected!

Singh: No I'm not! You just don't want to talk about Khan!

Una: Yes you are. Get out

(Sickbay)

Una: Hey you want to hang out while Hemmer and M'Benga argue over a teleporter?

Uhura: Okay.

(Sickbay)

Una: It Has to be completely dark

Enterprise goes dark.

Una: Now if you excuse me I have to get to the teleporter and stun Hemmer and do an empowering slow motion Star Trek Discovery style walk that will cause everyone in the audience to sigh.

She does!

Audience: Sigh...

(Planet!)

Energy beings shield Spock and Pike

Pike: That's it?

Spock: That's it.

(Enterprise!)

Chapel: How are you carrying him?!

Una: I think it's pretty obvious that it's a dummy

Chapel: Oh yeah it is.

M'Benga: I'm infected.

Una: Use my blood

M'Benga: Can't burns out everything too fast. Put me out.

(Warp Core!)

Una: Stop!

Singh: Talk to me about Khan or I blow up the ship!

Una: I DON'T WANT TO! NO ONE WANTS TO!

(Planet!)

Pike: We shouldn't be so quick to judge people who augment themselves.

Spock: ......

(Enterprise!)

Una:Everything cool here in sickbay since I used Singh to help make a cure after kicking her butt?

M'Benga: Yep.

(Cafeteria!)

Singh: All my life I hated augments...

Una: You were right to. Augments are awful, luckily I'm a Illyrian. Illyrians rule Augments drool!

(Pike's Office!)

Una: I'm here too resign

Pike: No

Una: No?

Pike: You realize that if you leave Singh becomes the new number one? All she is going to do is try to talk about Khan.

Una: Yeah, she is the worst.

(Sickbay!)

Una: What's in the teleporter?

M'Benga: You remember that Star Trek: The Next Generation Episode where Scotty preserved himself and another guy in the teleporter but the other guy died?

Una: No...freaking...way!

M'Benga: Yep, it's my daughter.

Una: I'll give you a bigger battery

(Una's quarters)

Una: Three episodes in. This episode wasn't good. It was okay, but coming from this team of creators and being that we are at the point where a Kurtzman show crashes I'll take it.
    I loved this and I appreciate the effort you put in to writing it. It made me even more excited to watch the episode.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Aenar were introduced in Enterprise season 4, in the episode titled "The Aenar". Shran eventually marries one of the Aenar from the episode.
    Thanks. I've seen Enterprise all the way through only once, during broadcast. I've caught bits of episodes but not rewatched the show. So it makes sense that the call back is to one of the ST shows I'm less knowledgeable of.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I've only seen the first episode. But I am getting the impression that the events of "The Cage" have already happened. There were several references to something that happened that is so classified that it makes Pike seeing his own future fate seem like nothing by comparison.

This would also explain why many of the crew that was there for that event, like Dr. Boyce, aren't there anymore, because Pike took an extended leave before returning. That's clever because it opens the door to characters like Dr. M'Benga, along with Uhura and Chapel. It also allows them to not have to rehash "The Cage" directly but just say it happened.
    Cage definitely already happened. There was a Discovery episode that was basically a sequel where Michael and Spock go to Talos IV. Vina even shows up to talk to Pike and it's clear she and Pike still have feelings for each other.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

The most recent episode was probably the weakest, but it's not like any other Star Trek show has been all winners. Even Star Trek: TNG Season 4 has Galaxy's Child. I still like the vibe of the show and I like the characters. There's also plenty of stuff I did like, such as the stuff with Pike and Spock on the planet and the deep dive in to M'Benga's character.

I think here, I really missed the ensemble that ended up being the highlight of the last several episodes. Many of the characters had something to do, but it was very much a Number One solo story with some guest appearances by some others.

Hmm. A Noonien Singh trying to overload the Warp core until someone with a golden shirt stops them? I have the feeling that was a shout out to the Kirk vs. Khan SPACE SEED fight in main engineering. Except without obvious stunt doubles and that metal rod Kirk used.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I didn't understand why the camera was so focused on Number One after she punched out the Andorian and threw him over her shoulders. Like, that didn't seem to suggest to me that she had superpowers...I've think I've seen other Star Trek women do the same...Not a huge fan of the idea, as traditionally characters with superpowers in Trek often get written without them later on. Like Vulcans are suppose to be stronger than humans, but that rarely gets brought up.

As others have said, this is the weakest episode thus far and it isn't helped that the nuTrek writers are obsessed with "eugenics" now. Star Trek Picard had a weird eugenics plotline thrown into it that was reviled, so the stink of that shows up here as well. Reminds me as to how DISCO S2 and Picard S1 both had cliche AI storylines, it just feels like they have no restraint going to the same mine again and again.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Niffleheim

I was asking myself the same question - why is the shot so concentrating on Number 1 carrying the Andorian for such a long time? Then there was the Doctor M'Benga plot. So Unnecessary.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Cage definitely already happened. There was a Discovery episode that was basically a sequel where Michael and Spock go to Talos IV. Vina even shows up to talk to Pike and it's clear she and Pike still have feelings for each other.
    Clearly, this is meant to be a prequel to TOS, not to the recent Abrams movies. That makes it more interesting whether they hit every detail or not.

If this show is supposed to be Prime Universe Trek, then why do they have the Starfleet insignia pins instead of the cloth-type insignias that they wore in TOS? Or did they wear pins, then ditched the pins in TOS era, then went back to pins in TNG and beyond?
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    If this show is supposed to be Prime Universe Trek, then why do they have the Starfleet insignia pins instead of the cloth-type insignias that they wore in TOS? Or did they wear pins, then ditched the pins in TOS era, then went back to pins in TNG and beyond?
    The clothes hell the entire design of the ship and everything makes no sense.

Spock served with a Khan, but failed to mention it in Space Seed.

M'Benga goes from Chief Medical Officer to Physician and never mentions his years of service with Spock during Galileo 7.

You just have to say F it the hell with Paramount and CBS it's not Canon to TOS just like the Kelvin Films and enjoy it for what it is

Which is a decent, fun, and good looking show and the best Trek we've gotten in a very long time.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    Because it looks cooler and it's what people expect now when they watch Star Trek.

I don't get the attention some people pay to continuity minutia.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!