Page 33 of 99 FirstFirst ... 232930313233343536374383 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Now I only saw Episode 1 but someone online mentioned Uhura is given a tragic backstory in the new episode which was followed by someone complaining about having to give characters tragic backstories.

I'm all for complaining when modern Trek is bad like Discovery and Picard but Tragic Backstories are pretty common in Trek.

TNG (Putting aside the recent additions to Picard's family story)

Riker: Mom died when he was young and he had a hostile relationship with his dad.

Troi: Dad died when she was young and she learned she had a sister die when she was a baby.

Tasha: Came from a planet with rape gangs nuff said.

Wesley: Dad died and well he was Wesley.

Worf: Orphaned as a child.

DS9:

Kira: Parents died and she grew up under the Cardassian Occupation.

Bashir: Parents genetically modified him and made him feel like they didn't love him for him.

Jake: Dead mom.

Odo: Was tortured during his "childhood" as scientist tried to figure out what he even was.

VOY:

B'Lanna dad abandoned her and rocky relationship with mother.

Paris: Hostile relationship with domineering father.

Seven: Assimilated by the Borg because her parents were idiots.

Neelix: Family died.

ENT:

Archer: Dad Died.

Kelvin Movies: Spock mom dies and Kirk dad dies.

DISCO: Spock got Michael as a sister (So tragic).

Welcome to the club Uhura.
    sigh...maybe it is time they move away from tragic back story, as it has become a cliche.

BANNED

strange new worlds is okay, not bad not great but I still expect the show to take a nose dive as Picard and Discovery.

Additionally, I may have overestimated Arson Mount as Pike, yeah he was great in Discovery season 2, but I think Bruce Greenwood from the Kelvin films is the better Pike. Greenwood had more of a stage presence and authority that Mount does not seem to really have.
    Last edited by Castle; 05-14-2022 at 08:37 AM.

I really, really, really hope they do NOT go the "Spock and Uhura start dating" route in this series.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

The two had some mild flirtation in the original series but that was it.

Looks more like they're building a bit with Chapel and Spock, which was definitely more of a thing in the original series although Spock never really returned it. There's also the matter of Korby which could get in the way, and of course T'pring.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    I really, really, really hope they do NOT go the "Spock and Uhura start dating" route in this series.
    Personally I do not mind about that.
    As long as they keep the characters they presently have and not become these assholes they were in the Kelvin Timeline.

I have to admit it's nice to have a Star Trek show when my only minor complaint while watching was these people dress and act a little too much like contemporary 21st Century people than 23rd century Federation citizens in their off time.

In 2022 if that's my only complaint then it's a major win.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    The two had some mild flirtation in the original series but that was it.

Looks more like they're building a bit with Chapel and Spock, which was definitely more of a thing in the original series although Spock never really returned it. There's also the matter of Korby which could get in the way, and of course T'pring.
    I don't think it is fair to say it was mild considering it was the 60s and back then it would have been very not acceptable for uhura to be into spock that much as Chapel was because of the race issue. race was still a big deal in the 60s and interracial romance was not accepted, so Uhura as anyone's girlfriend in the 60s was not allowed.

I think from what we have seen so far they are building on both, although if spock dates uhura it would be years down the line, maybe in season 3 but right now I do think they are going to have him date Tpring and Chapel first.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    I hope they do, they are my favourite star trek ship but right now I think it is too early and will make no sense because of Tpring and Chapel which so far are the girls into him and have made it clear. Uhura is going to have to get older and slow burn her feelings for Spock.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    I don't think it is fair to say it was mild considering it was the 60s and back then it would have been very not acceptable for uhura to be into spock that much as Chapel was because of the race issue. race was still a big deal in the 60s and interracial romance was not accepted, so Uhura as anyone's girlfriend in the 60s was not allowed.

I think from what we have seen so far they are building on both, although if spock dates uhura it would be years down the line, maybe in season 3 but right now I do think they are going to have him date Tpring and Chapel first.

I hope they do, they are my favourite star trek ship but right now I think it is too early and will make no sense because of Tpring and Chapel which so far are the girls into him and have made it clear. Uhura is going to have to get older and slow burn her feelings for Spock.
    I've said personally I consider ENT, SNW, DISCO, Picard, Prodigy, & Lower Decks a separate timeline than TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, VOY, & their films.

But CBS consider them all canon to one another and there for you can't have Spock and Uhura date because they didn't in the old tv shows and films. T'Pring and Chapel and their relationships to Spock were from TOS.

Thinking about it I wonder if we'll see Leila Kalomi.

BANNED

I've said personally I consider ENT, SNW, DISCO, Picard, Prodigy, & Lower Decks a separate timeline than TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, VOY, & their films.

But CBS consider them all canon to one another and there for you can't have Spock and Uhura date because they didn't in the old tv shows and films. T'Pring and Chapel and their relationships to Spock were from TOS.

Thinking about it I wonder if we'll see Leila Kalomi.
    honestly at this point, a lot of things have been so retconed it does not matter anymore. we never knew spock had a sister, but here comes Michael and many trek fans have accepted she is his sister, also the thing with prequels, they tend to ignore canon look at star wars or even the xmen movies. i think it is possible for spock/uhura to date and only break up at the very end of the show, which is where i am thinking the show will go. I think the show will address all of Spock's love interest we have ever seen including Leia Kalomi. Zarabeth been the only exception. Additionally if in the Kelvin films they dated because the writers of that movie got the hints from TOS, I think it is likely going to be addressed here to some point.

The racism that limited Uhura in the 60s, should be ignored in 2022 for SNW because we have made good process, where it is no longer seen as ''irky'' for black and white people to date normally.

honestly at this point, a lot of things have been so retconed it does not matter anymore. we never knew spock had a sister, but here comes Michael and many trek fans have accepted she is his sister, also the thing with prequels, they tend to ignore canon look at star wars or even the xmen movies. i think it is possible for spock/uhura to date and only break up at the very end of the show, which is where i am thinking the show will go. I think the show will address all of Spock's love interest we have ever seen including Leia Kalomi. Zarabeth been the only exception. Additionally if in the Kelvin films they dated because the writers of that movie got the hints from TOS, I think it is likely going to be addressed here to some point.

The racism that limited Uhura in the 60s, should be ignored in 2022 for SNW because we have made good process, where it is no longer seen as ''irky'' for black and white people to date normally.
    It's truly strange to claim 60's racism held back the show that showed the 1st Interracial Kiss.

Uhura didn't have a boyfriend because one Scotty, Uhura, Sulu, Chapel, Rand, and Chekhov weren't the main characters they were side characters hence why they weren't in the opening credits.

Two one scene of Uhura looking interested in Spock doesn't constitute a burning passion. Speaking of Spock he wasn't a character who did relationships on TOS it's why he rejected Leila and Chapel's advances. Honestly Spock is one of the few characters who could be made retroactively gay and it would make perfect sense.

Last IMO when watching Star Trek the only Ships people should be interested in seeing are Starships.

BANNED

It's truly strange to claim 60's racism held back the show that showed the 1st Interracial Kiss.

Uhura didn't have a boyfriend because one Scotty, Uhura, Sulu, Chapel, Rand, and Chekhov weren't the main characters they were side characters hence why they weren't in the opening credits.

Two one scene of Uhura looking interested in Spock doesn't constitute a burning passion. Speaking of Spock he wasn't a character who did relationships on TOS it's why he rejected Leila and Chapel's advances. Honestly Spock is one of the few characters who could be made retroactively gay and it would make perfect sense.

Last IMO when watching Star Trek the only Ships people should be interested in seeing are Starships.
    yes , but even the first interracial kiss was seen as controversial and in the content of what we are talking about it means nothing. Kirk and uhura were forced to kiss for like 3 seconds and it was never talked about again.

what we are talking about here is a mutual ongoing relationship between two characters like any normal couple. that was still not allowed in the 60s with different races. This is the reason Uhura was just a blank slate. it is crazy that Nichelle Nichelles , the actress who played Uhura was the most beautiful woman in TOS and got nothing. it is naturally impossible.

I like star ships and I like ships also. we are good

Ultimate Member

honestly at this point, a lot of things have been so retconed it does not matter anymore. we never knew spock had a sister, but here comes Michael and many trek fans have accepted she is his sister,
    And yet, we've all quite happily forgotten his came-out-of-nowhere brother Sybok.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    And yet, we've all quite happily forgotten his came-out-of-nowhere brother Sybok.
    I can't figure out if you mean we'll forget her too or pointing out hypocrisy.

As for Sybok he was a was a mistake and we choose to forget even Gene said elements of Star Trek V should be considered "apocryphal".

Star Trek V is easily the worst TOS Crew film and some would argue the worst Trek film. Personally that's Insurrection for me.

I can only say one good thing about it the Kirk, Spock, and McCoy scenes are good.

Ultimate Member

I can't figure out if you mean we'll forget her too or pointing out hypocrisy.
    Nah, just noting how we Trek fans are quite willing to 'un-canon' things we don't like.

As for Sybok he was a was a mistake and we choose to forget even Gene said elements of Star Trek V should be considered "apocryphal".
    Ha, I did not know that! But I'd totally believe it. Those early movies had a few odd choices. The bright purple blood from Klingons. Ugh.

Star Trek V is easily the worst TOS Crew film and some would argue the worst Trek film. Personally that's Insurrection for me.
    Agreed. Insurrection, IIRC, was bad. (Of all the 'someone high up in Starfleet/the Federation is sketchy' plotlines, that was the worst. I was already tired of darn near every single Admiral introduced in Next Gen being secretly evil...)

I've been checking out a lot of reviews and discussions about SNW and this thread is the first time I've seen anyone discussing potential romance between Uhura and Spock. I personally don't think it's going to happen. Nothing in their interactions so far has hinted at that IMO.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store