Page 91 of 99 FirstFirst ... 4181878889909192939495 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,365 of 1471

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    and Pike already cheated on her.
    Lol...how? They clearly were not in a committed, exclusive relationship when we first see them together.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Kind of interesting a certain someone's story begins and ends with a shuttle.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

What exactly did Spock do wrong? Chapel basically told him through song that she felt free and didn't want to be in the relationship any more, one she ended up becoming very non-commital on, if anything he has every right to be upset with her even if they both still obviously care about each other.

It's funny when like half the cast has plot armor in this episode where it's so much life and death, but I guess that makes you pay more attention to the characters that don't.

Ortegas finally gets her away mission and puts herself in the biggest risk yet.

When he started talking I think the entire fandom collectively screamed (internally or otherwise) "SCOTTY!!!" I wonder who'll be next? Sulu? Chekhov? Mccoy? At this rate I feel like Sam is going to end up meeting pretty much everybody in his brothers' future crew before he does. I like their take on a young Scotty so far though, not sure if he'll stick around for a season or not. But we'll probably get plenty of him and Pelia bouncing off each other.

That moment when you realize Batel has been infected. Though honestly I doubt they'd actually kill her off as soon as they get her on the Enterprise, so she's probably safe.

Ah, there's the classic cliffhanger. Which might take a while to resolve because of all the striking. I feel like there's actually a chance Pike would retreat just because the Enterprise doesn't really stand a chance and they can play more with the crew trapped on the Gorn ship.

We finally see an adult Gorn and while they definitely look more intimidating than the OG's, the face resembles the classic Gorn more (at least from what I can see).

Ok so that was a great episode! My only knowledge of the Gorn comes from playing STO and this take is VERU different (I didn't know they had tails lol.) I dig that they're sticking with the "Xenomorph" references as it's truly terrifying.

Poor Marie smdh I'm sure they'll figure out a way to save her (I hope?!)

SCOTTY!!! I love that we'll get to see his first time being a Miracle Worker on the Enterprise. And under such extreme circumstances.

And that cliffhanger was good. Pike needs to pull back, otherwise he's risking the lives of those on board. They can regroup and come up with a plan to save the others. Right now, they're too outgunned.

Incredible Member

I'm really not into Pike as a Captain. Just feels like he acquiesces to everyone and a little too soft-hearted for me. I'm really interested to see what happens when this battle picks up at the start of the next season.

But as it stands, based on what I've seen, I'd much rather go into battle under Kirk, Picard, Janeway, Sisko or Archer. I don't recall any of them just on the bridge with different crew members calling out "Orders, Captain?" and seeming completely indecisive. Granted this may be for drama sake to get to the cliffhanger. Just have to see how it plays out, but even before this episode, I wasn't feeling him as Captain.

Episode 10 was decent but filled with potholes and silly contrives. It reminded me of Best of Both Worlds and Star Trek Beyond, except this two had superior star trek writing.

Why did Spock need to be the only who can go on the mission. He is the only one who can do it? Whoever wrote this episode must have seen Star Trek Beyond but failed to follow the more logical writing for Star Trek Beyond. I get he wanted to rescue Chapel but that should not have been enough excuse. In Beyond, Spock had to rescue Uhura because she was his girlfriend, but the movie made it clear, it was personal. He had Bones back him up because he was injured and It was not enough reason for Spock to go alone. he does manged to save Uhura, or she saves him and they escape together, knowing everyone was safe before they got breamed up. This is the key to good writing, that can still serve a romantic plot in a science-fiction series.

SNW fails here with Spock and Chapel story. There was no reason for Spock to go alone and when he rescues Chapel, because he never gave a real reason why he was better than anyone else. Spock and Chapel did not need to check for survivors? How was Chapel the only person to survive. They wanted more Spock and Chapel drama at the expense of good science fiction.

The needs of the many outweighs the needs of the few? This rule did not come to Spock to check for more survivors? I want to watch Star Trek that has romance, not romance that has Star Trek. The only ray of light to the Spock and Chapel drama is for it to at least end well. The break up was out of character, The writers should have it end in a better note when they finally talk.

The cliff-hanger does not seem earned as Best of Both Worlds Part 1. I still remember getting chills as a kid watching Riker tell Mr Worf, to Fire. SNW is doing something wrong with the writing when Riker has shown leadership and captaincy over Pike, taking into account Riker never cared about been a Captain in the TNG era. Pike has not earned any real Captain moment to me, so the cliff hanger was not earned.

I give the finale a C. It was decent compared to what we have seen from past Star Trek.

Good to see Scotty.

Boisterously Confused

I can't agree with the comparisons of Pike W/Riker in TOBW. They spent two seasons making clear he's a different kind of captain, most pointedly in the Balance of Terror redux. I'm glad to see SNW daring something other than fanservice.

About Spock being the only one capable of that mission...

The plan was to send a busted up saucer section into a planet's atmosphere making sure it hits a building sized structure. The calculations necessary to ensure the proper point of collision happens are pretty damn complicated considering the actual bulk and mass of the saucer were severely compromised. Even if there was the capability to direct the thrusters through remote control, their placement to allow for optimal adjustment needed to be pretty detailed. I totally buy that Spock was the only one who could have done it despite the obvious Chapel scene setup.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Incredible Member

I remember now who Pike reminds me of.

Back in the Voyager days, the first woman they cast as Captain left the show. Eventually, the role went to Mulgrew.

There are some clips floating around of scenes the 1st actress did with the same scene done by Mulgrew, which was night and day as far as performance. The exact same scene, but under the 1st Captain the situation was bland and under Mulgrew the ship was popping in both giving and following orders.

Pike reminds me of the 1st actress.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    About Spock being the only one capable of that mission...

The plan was to send a busted up saucer section into a planet's atmosphere making sure it hits a building sized structure. The calculations necessary to ensure the proper point of collision happens are pretty damn complicated considering the actual bulk and mass of the saucer were severely compromised. Even if there was the capability to direct the thrusters through remote control, their placement to allow for optimal adjustment needed to be pretty detailed. I totally buy that Spock was the only one who could have done it despite the obvious Chapel scene setup.
    Agreed.

Plus, process of elimination, who else would you send? If the original engineer was still part of the crew, that could've been an option, but you definitely can't send the current one. Only other option may had been 1st officer, but her place is definitely on the ship.

Spock is it, based on both expertise and availability.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    The ending with Pike hesitating bothered me I recently watched GOTG Vol. 3 again on Disney Plus and one scene bothered me, and it was after they said the kids were on the ship and Gamora hesitated to save them. Even pre-Guardians Gamora I feel wouldn't have hesitated to save kids hell even the Ravagers who she rolls with now have a no kids rule. This was kind of my issue here M'Benga, Erica, and La'an are captured along with civilians, and he hesitates but when it's his girlfriend he's gun-ho it makes Pike look selfish, IMO
    Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    I know it was done for dramatic effect to play up the cliffhanger, but the way the episode ends really makes Pike look like he shouldn't be a captain. It's a huge contrast with Riker's decisive and iconic 'Mr. Worf. fire.'
    Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    I remember now who Pike reminds me of.

Back in the Voyager days, the first woman they cast as Captain left the show. Eventually, the role went to Mulgrew.

There are some clips floating around of scenes the 1st actress did with the same scene done by Mulgrew, which was night and day as far as performance. The exact same scene, but under the 1st Captain the situation was bland and under Mulgrew the ship was popping in both giving and following orders.

Pike reminds me of the 1st actress.
    I guess everyone is catching up to the problem with Pike huh? He isn't Captain so much as he is the ships older brother/guidance counselor. He needs to be written with more command presence.

Also, can we all agree that the Pelia character is stupid? Her species has been living on Earth all this time, you just didn't know. She also knows Spock's mom. She is linked to every character you like so you have to like her by default or that is what the writers are hoping for. Sorry, writers if you want me to like this character you are going to have to put in the work yourselves. I've been down this road with Burnham.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 08-12-2023 at 08:14 AM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I guess everyone is catching up to the problem with Pike huh? He isn't Captain so much as he is the ships older brother/guidance counselor. He needs to be written with more command presence.

Also, can we all agree that the Pelia character is stupid? Her species has been living on Earth all this time, you just didn't know. She also knows Spock's mom. She is linked to every character you like so you have to like her by default or that is what the writers are hoping for. Sorry, writers if you want me to like this character you are going to have to put in the work yourselves. I've been down this road with Burnham.
    To be fair Pike came off as indecisive in the Cage think back to his conversation with Boyce. My issue with the scene was his willingness to go save his girlfriend vs his crew. Now there is an out for this they could have it that Pike thought there was a "Magic Shield" protecting himself and his crew. The single benefit to knowing for a fact that you're going to die tomorrow is you won't die today. Pike might have thought him knowing his death day protected him and those around him and when his crew members were taking at the end, he saw the error in that logic that while he might be safe those around him who his decisions affect are not. I think it's an interesting way to explain his hesitation.

As for Pelia leave Carol Kane alone woman is a treasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

When he started talking I think the entire fandom collectively screamed (internally or otherwise) "SCOTTY!!!" I wonder who'll be next? Sulu? Chekhov? Mccoy?
    I think Sulu is probably the best bet, as chronologically he made his debut along with Scotty in Where No Man Has Gone Before, the earliest set Kirk episode (If not the first aired) although he was a physicist in that episode.

I got the feeling they would have him be also trained for the helm (by Ortegas?) and of course wouldn't pass up a chance for him to do some stuff with small arms or a sword.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

To be fair Pike came off as indecisive in the Cage think back to his conversation with Boyce. My issue with the scene was his willingness to go save his girlfriend vs his crew. Now there is an out for this they could have it that Pike thought there was a "Magic Shield" protecting himself and his crew. The single benefit to knowing for a fact that you're going to die tomorrow is you won't die today. Pike might have thought him knowing his death day protected him and those around him and when his crew members were taking at the end, he saw the error in that logic that while he might be safe those around him who his decisions affect are not. I think it's an interesting way to explain his hesitation.

Well the ending is a completely different situation than they were initially in. He's now outgunned and would be endangering everyone else on the ship to try and save the hostages. And he'd almost definitely fail since it's now a head to head confrontation. Previously, they were able to use subterfuge and sneak in to try and save Batel and the others. You really can't compare the two situations.

The actor is a treasure but the character is not.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest