Page 35 of 99 FirstFirst ... 253132333435363738394585 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

I think we learned more about Uhura in one ep than we ever really did in the preceding 3 seasons and 9 movies.

When they started the musical communication, I really thought they were going to introduce the TOS theme diagetically.

With the mustache, Sam Kirk looks like Aaron Rodgers.

Given that Pike seems to know the exact details of the accident, I don't know why or how he assumes he can't change it. Order extra maintenance on that ship, and order those cadets to stay off it that day.

Pike's quarters look absurdly large.

I like seeing the Enteprise actually being somewhat nimble, and they didn't go too far in turning it into an oversized starfighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post

Watching SNW, you can tell paramount is just using the same sets for all their shows (Picard and Discovery). I know it saves money, but it is making their shows look very cheap compared to say the Star Wars streaming shows like The Mandalorian.
    A lot of The Book of Boba Fett ended up looking rather cheap. Even big budget shows are still dealing with finite budgets, everything has to cut some corners somewhere.
    Last edited by Jared; 05-16-2022 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    When they started the musical communication, I really though they were going to introduce the TOS theme diagetically.
    I remember when Doctor Who did that with The Master and the drumming in his head, and I thought it worked perfectly. I was expecting some element of the TOS theme and its vocals to play a part in solving the riddle, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    I don't know about all this relationship stuff but this is this the best Trek for me in two decades.
    I’m with ya. So far, this show has been fantastic. I do wish though that it was more than 10 eps sine it’s episodic. 15 – 20 eps would’ve been great.

As well as the already mentioned ones there's also

The TNG Enterprise D Transporter Room was Redressed and used in ST V & VI Enterprise A Transporter Room.

The President's Office in ST VI was Ten Forward.

The Enterprise D engineering section was used as the Enterprise A engineering section in ST VI just with different LCARS.

Generations used the Bird of Prey exploding from ST VI.

Star Trek has a long history of reusing sets.

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    It's fine if you don't like her hairstyle but there's no rule that Uhura has to have the same hairstyle as a cadet she will have years later as a lieutenant. To suggest otherwise is as ridiculous as suggesting she's "masculine" because her hair is short.
    Nichols Uhura's hairstyle also changed every single movie too.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    As well as the already mentioned ones there's also

The TNG Enterprise D Transporter Room was Redressed and used in ST V & VI Enterprise A Transporter Room.

The President's Office in ST VI was Ten Forward.

The Enterprise D engineering section was used as the Enterprise A engineering section in ST VI just with different LCARS.

Star Trek has a long history of reusing sets.
    Yup. As long as they're reused well and appropriately, save that money and spend it on sfx.
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by Beantownbrown View Post
    I’m with ya. So far, this show has been fantastic. I do wish though that it was more than 10 eps sine it’s episodic. 15 – 20 eps would’ve been great.
    20 episodes would be wonderful!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Nichols Uhura's hairstyle also changed every single movie too.
    Uhura's rocked every hairstyle she's ever worn, even the non-straightened looks which some people may not like.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Star Trek re-used the destruction of the Bird of Prey from Star Trek VI every single time a Klingon vessel was destroyed in TNG, DS9, and in Generations. And the footage of the interior with the Klingons being blown around the ship as it's destroyed was used every time Klingons were killed in a space battle. That footage kind of became the Star Trek version of the Wilhelm Scream.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Star Trek has a long history of repurposing sets and models. For instance, the model they used for the probe in TMP was flipped over and used as the model for Regula One in Wrath of Khan.
    Correction: Regula One was a re-use of the starbase in orbit of Earth at Spacedock, not the probe.

As for the music in this episode- I really kept expecting to hear the notes from Close Encounters. I guess that may have been too on the nose

I watched the first episode and enjoyed it, but man that speech Pike gave combined with real life footage of the 21st century was just terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Yup. As long as they're reused well and appropriately, save that money and spend it on sfx.

Which I think probably worked well for TWOK-The genesis effect alone probably ate a lot of that saved money. Although they weren't quite Star Wars quality, there were a lot of good Enterprise/Reliant scenes at the end of the movie as well (Some of the Mutara Nebula stuff was reused for Best of Both Worlds, which after TWOK was the high point of Star Trek space battles at the time).

20 episodes would be wonderful!
    Uhura's rocked every hairstyle she's ever worn, even the non-straightened looks which some people may not like.
    She was kind of the unsung hero of many of the movies as well, as she helped bail them out of some rough spots. Maybe they should've let her figure out the whole thing about V'ger's ultrafast transmitting in the first movie instead of Spock?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    She was kind of the unsung hero of many of the movies as well, as she helped bail them out of some rough spots. Maybe they should've let her figure out the whole thing about V'ger's ultrafast transmitting in the first movie instead of Spock?
    I was so annoyed in Undiscovered Country when Uhura didn't lower her voice and start barking expletives in perfect Klingon to make the Klingons believe Enterprise was one of their own ships. After all those decades, she should have mastered Klingon.

I was so annoyed in Undiscovered Country when Uhura didn't lower her voice and start barking expletives in perfect Klingon to make the Klingons believe Enterprise was one of their own ships. After all those decades, she should have mastered Klingon.
    It is worth noting that being a linguist is a relatively modern interpretation of the character and honestly it owes a lot to Enterprise's Hoshi Sato. In TOS and the movies, Uhura was effectively a switch board operator with Engineering talent. Hoshi was the communications officer that introduced linguistics into the job description which was carried over to J.J. Uhura and apparently this one. Now, retroactively, it's a little upsetting that she didn't speak Klingon, but it was not an aspect of her character at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    It is worth noting that being a linguist is a relatively modern interpretation of the character and honestly it owes a lot to Enterprise's Hoshi Sato. In TOS and the movies, Uhura was effectively a switch board operator with Engineering talent. Hoshi was the communications officer that introduced linguistics into the job description which was carried over to J.J. Uhura and apparently this one. Now, retroactively, it's a little upsetting that she didn't speak Klingon, but it was not an aspect of her character at the time.
    You're quite right. Still disappointing, though.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    It's because, by 21st century standards, Uhura's job on TOS could be done by computer or non-sentient robot. In order to justify having an actual Starfleet Officer in that position, there would have to be more to the job.
    Watching television is not an activity.