Page 32 of 99 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282 ... LastLast

Yeah, I think an appearance is out of the question. https://www.theguardian.com/science/...onservatorship

(Given Nichols age and illness I don't think this is anything like the Britney thing despite the similar legal issue).

If any TOS cameo takes place Takei is probably the best choice, outside of Shatner he's pretty much the most active TOS member. Given how he's still doing a ton of voice roles, maybe have him voice an alien?

I wouldn't rule out a new Sulu either at some point given that he was early in Kirk's crew along with Spock and Scotty, although not at the helm yet.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 05-12-2022 at 09:53 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    So just started episode 2 and literally just 3 minutes in, I can already tell what the difference is in this show compared to Disco and Picard. They made Star Trek fun again. The characters actually enjoy being in Starfleet. There's no looming end of the world threat or dystopian war setting or sense of despair. Just a sense of discovery and wonder, paired with some good action.

Also, Nichelle Nichols is definitely playing Uhuru's grandmother at some point.
    I don't have Paramount Plus yet plan on getting it next month but I briefly use to have CBS All Access and watched the 1st 2 Seasons of Discovery and Season 1 of Picard and from the Clips I've seen of SNW it's the 1st Kurtzman show to actually feel like a Star Trek show. This feels like a show taking place in the Federation with a Starfleet crew.

Mighty Member

Ok, 2nd episode watched. I'm really enjoying this so far.

Let's start with the oddity: as long as the character has been arpund, is this really the first truly Uhura centered story they've ever done? My TOS knowledge is far from absolute, but I can't think of a single Uhura episode prior. Mind blowing.

I like the engineer, from his brief intro here. I still love Chapel. Jess Bush smiles and my brain melts. And it turns out Kirks are genetically predisposed to recklessness.

I thought Peck was much more believable as Spock in this one.

And, as noted already above, the characters are having fun! Pike's "I love this job!" to Number One was perfect. Space doesn't have to be all dour and joyless. So refreshing.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post

Let's start with the oddity: as long as the character has been arpund, is this really the first truly Uhura centered story they've ever done? My TOS knowledge is far from absolute, but I can't think of a single Uhura episode prior. Mind blowing.
    Depends on if you count the Kelvinverse movies. She's the third lead in those.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Personally I wouldn't count it, since that's a whole other universe entirely, and even if you were to, they never went that in depth into her character outside of her and Spock's relationship.

Okay they put the 1st episode on YouTube and I thought it was good. Definitely felt like Trek something I haven't said about a Trek property in a long time. It wasn't stupid another thing I haven't said about a Trek property in a long time. The characters were fun and likeable and acted like Starfleet Officers. It looked visually great and nice designs for the Ship now going to admit I personally still consider ENT, SNW, DISCO, Picard, Prodigy, and Lower Decks a separate Timeline from TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, VOY, & the TOS/TNG Films so the different design doesn't bother me (Again my personal Head Canon for Sanity not any Conspiracy on Rights).

Overall a Solid start.

I'd rank the live action Trek Pilots as following.

1: VOY (The Show was a mess Quality wise with episodes but the pilot was fantastic).

2: DS9.

3: TNG (SNW might be possible better but nostalgia glasses does shade my opinion and I admit.).

4: SNW.

5: TOS.

6: ENT (I loved this show, but the pilot wasn't it's strongest entry).

7: DISCO (The Battle Scene was cool, that's all I can positive for this pilot).

8: Picard (The idea of Turning the Federation into a Xenophobic organization and introducing class differences in a society where greed and need was wiped out centuries ago was IMO a violation of Gene's vision of the Future and I just find this show awful due to it.).

But SNW was good and I hope it continues to be it would be nice to enjoy Star Trek again.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    She's really not. She's Spock's Girl. That's it. We learn next to nothing about out her outside of that context. The Love Interest is not the same as getting actual character focus.

She's really not. She's Spock's Girl. That's it. We learn next to nothing about out her outside of that context. The Love Interest is not the same as getting actual character focus.
    One character trait that has now been carried over to SNW is her being a linguist Prodigy. Honestly in TOS and their films it was never hinted at that she was particularly special communications officer. While now she's Hoshi Sato level when it comes to languages.

TOS really did focus on Kirk, Spock, and McCoy with Scotty getting airtime due to his position as Chief Engineer. But Chekhov, Sulu, & Uhura really got nothing. Even Chapel got the episode with her Ex-Husband.

Star Trek:Strange New World In Which A Kurtzman show might be...good?
    Season 1
    Episode 2: Children Of The Comet

((Two aliens walking they both give a "Wow, this sucks" look))

Uhura: Stardate 2912.4 I'm going to a party at Pike's to celebrate a successful first episode. We crushed it! This is a Kurtzman show so we have to make it to at least episode five before people start trusting us. One down, four to go!

Ortegas: Gotcha! You don't have to wear your dress uniform

Uhura: Wait, we still haze in the future?

Ortegas: Kinda' depressing when you think about it.

(After another (seriously?!) round of hazing)

Uhura: Well, I guess it's time for my heartbreaking backstory.

(Tells heartbreaking story causing everyone to leave)

Una: That really killed the party, I just didn't feel right getting to the next hazing ritual of making her chug from a keg upside down. You okay?

Pike: Yeah, just bummed about the fact that I'm going to become a Roomba

Spock: The A Plot just showed up!

(The Bridge!)

Spock: Comet is going to hit that planet

Pike: Oh, cool. A nice manageable problem. See? We don't have to save the universe.

(Ready Room)

Una: Comet won't talk to us but we found tunnels.

Pike: I brought in Sam, he is here for memberberries and to provide comic relief in an attempt to appeal to fans who like the Orville.

Sam: Yep, that's my job! I contributed nothing to this conversation but I did talk about my mustache!

Pike: Put on your Mass Effect space suits and get on that comet. We will be pumping the Aerosmith song "Don't want to miss a thing" from the movie Armageddon to set the mood.

(The Comet!)

Sam: Time for me to do sumthin' stopped hyuk!I

(Shocks himself by touching something HE WAS TOLD NOT TO TOUCH! They take off the helmets? Did they check the air? Yeah..I'm sure they did)

(Enterprise)

Shepards: We are the Shepards. As aliens go we are well designed and our ship is awesome. Admit that you are jealous

Pike: It kills me to admit it. You are and it is, and I am.

(Comet!)

Singh: You going to get us out of here or get us killed?

Uhura: Are you so angry because of your tragic backstory?

Singh: No, I'm angry because people keep calling me a poor imitation of Drummer from The Expanse.

Uhura: Well, you do kind of look like her

Singh: Shut up.

Spock: I'm going to give you a pep talk that makes me sound like Data. I also found out that this thing does music and lights

Uhura: Like Close Encounters Of The Third Kind?

Spock: Just close enough to that to remind you of it.

(Enterprise!)

Shepard: You people can't leave well enough alone!

Pike: Let's talk it out.

Otregas: I think that went well. Listen folks I just say the lines I don't write them. We all know that no writer in their right mind would use a "I think that went well" in 2022 but somehow SNW found the only one who would.

Una: Three torpedos !

Ortegas: We definitely pissed them off. Well duh, they fired on us! Who is writing my lines!?

Pike: We will figure it out later! Remember when you said you were going to be The best pilot ever?I

Ortegas: Time for Ortegas Gamma one

(Ship turns around and heads into the comets debris)

Pike: This is like Star Wars!

Ortegas: Duh

Pike: Hey, we are super close to the comet now so you can't blow us up. Na na na na naaa!

(Runabout!)

Spock: I'm going to do my thing and spilt the comet now.

(He does!)

(Later!)

Una: What if your fate is what you make it!?

Pike: Is that a Terminator reference?

Una: I'm going to leave you alone with your pain now
    Last edited by Anthony W; 05-12-2022 at 09:02 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

That was fantastic! It was like a missing episode for TOS.

Still not fond of the security chief but Uhura was amazing. Ortega's is stupendous and Peck is growing into those pointy ears.

Best Trek in years!!!
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Only watched the first episode so far

I haven't enjoyed watching a Star Trek Show this much since the Voyager Days.

+ SNW had a good balance. It really captured the TOS Vibes/Atmosphere but with the right touches of modern effects.
    + Most of the cast did a fantastic job. So many characters I liked. Especially Uhura and Pike (I found he and Picard are the most 'realistic' captains so far)
    + I had doubts about Ortega, but so far she's warming up to me.

- When Spock mentioned his "Sister," I immediately went Cleveland Brown and said "No, No, No, No!" The less Discovery tie ins the better. (Especially that one)
    - I agree with BeastieRunner about the Security Chief. So far, not too fond of her but its still early (Too bad she wasn't with Kirk during the Wrath of Kahn though )
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 05-13-2022 at 06:26 AM.

Now I only saw Episode 1 but someone online mentioned Uhura is given a tragic backstory in the new episode which was followed by someone complaining about having to give characters tragic backstories.

I'm all for complaining when modern Trek is bad like Discovery and Picard but Tragic Backstories are pretty common in Trek.

TNG (Putting aside the recent additions to Picard's family story)

Riker: Mom died when he was young and he had a hostile relationship with his dad.

Troi: Dad died when she was young and she learned she had a sister die when she was a baby.

Tasha: Came from a planet with rape gangs nuff said.

Wesley: Dad died and well he was Wesley.

Worf: Orphaned as a child.

DS9:

Kira: Parents died and she grew up under the Cardassian Occupation.

Bashir: Parents genetically modified him and made him feel like they didn't love him for him.

Jake: Dead mom.

Odo: Was tortured during his "childhood" as scientist tried to figure out what he even was.

VOY:

B'Lanna dad abandoned her and rocky relationship with mother.

Paris: Hostile relationship with domineering father.

Seven: Assimilated by the Borg because her parents were idiots.

Neelix: Family died.

ENT:

Archer: Dad Died.

Kelvin Movies: Spock mom dies and Kirk dad dies.

DISCO: Spock got Michael as a sister (So tragic).

Welcome to the club Uhura.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    Only watched the first episode so far

I haven't enjoyed watching a Star Trek Show this much since the Voyager Days.

+ SNW had a good balance. It really captured the TOS Vibes/Atmosphere but with the right touches of modern effects.
    + Most of the cast did a fantastic job. So many characters I liked. Especially Uhura and Pike (I found he and Picard are the most 'realistic' captains so far)
    + I had doubts about Ortega, but so far she's warming up to me.

- When Spock mentioned his "Sister," I immediately went Cleveland Brown and said "No, No, No, No!" The less Discovery tie ins the better. (Especially that one)
    - I agree with BeastieRunner about the Security Chief. So far, not too fond of her but its still early (Too bad she wasn't with Kirk during the Wrath of Kahn though )
    My main issue is she is like Ensign Ro sans the likeability hovering underneath.

When they go on the away mission, you had the logic robot Spock, super serious Noonien-Singh, goofily overconfident Kirk whom gets sidelined right away, and then the extremely charming & charismatic Uhura.

Maybe it was by design to let Uhura shine? But Noonien-Singh needs something other than brooding to make her stand out.

And Ortega is tons of fun ... Can't wait to see her take the chair and do something crazy! And Pike give her an awkward compliment. Mount is killing it as Pike IMHO.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 05-13-2022 at 08:35 AM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Yes it is. I wish I could say it was mind blowing to me, but I can't given the time period of when TOS was shot. Trek reality is not actual reality, heh.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store