Page 51 of 99 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    I thought it was enjoyable but like with a lot of episodes this season, I thought it was unearned. We're 8 episodes in and still don't know a whole lot about the characters..
    We didn't know much about Kirk, Spock, Picard, Riker, Sisko et al at only 8 episodes in either. We actually know as much or more than those show and certainly more than DISCOs crew at the same episode count.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    We didn't know much about Kirk, Spock, Picard, Riker, Sisko et al at only 8 episodes in either. We actually know as much or more than those show and certainly more than DISCOs crew at the same episode count.
    I mean yeah, obviously, but that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying the episodes they're doing work better when the characters are better established and understood by the audience. There has been barely any of that with a good amount of the bridge crew. Just my two cents
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

I mean yeah, obviously, but that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying the episodes they're doing work better when the characters are better established and understood by the audience. There has been barely any of that with a good amount of the bridge crew. Just my two cents
    Although with M'Benga's daughter part of the issue is likely how she could age out of the role. By being in the transporter buffer she isn't supposed to age, but a child actor could change in obvious ways between seasons that would break the suspension of disbelief.

Otherwise, I think I get what you are saying. Some of the character work is stuff you think would work better is season 2 or 3 rather in season 1, after the established character traits have simmered a little more.
    Dark does not mean deep.

What in the name of Surak! By the word of Kahless and the Holy Prophets!!

I DID NOT SEE THAT COMING!!!!!

All Those Who Wander, ep9

It has the clear beats of the best in sci-fi horror. Evoking clear Alien and The Thing vibes using the Gorn.
    From the opening scene you can guess part of what will happen but I dare say you'll not figure out that last crucial detail
    spoilers:
    RIP Hemmer
    end of spoilers I was really starting to like you.
    Great ending long shot for Uhura.
    Setting up some more Spock focused matters.
    La'an I wonder if she'll be back from her personal errand she adopted in this episode for next season??
    I liked the design of the perished alien, be nice to see more of that species eventually.

For me the show hasn't had a bad episode, even last weeks was good. This episode was fantastic and could be one of those bottle shows I scan to and just watch.

Next week is the finale, bring on the Spock/T'Pring Vulcan story. That has to be where we go after this.

The Gorn are literally terrifying from birth. Now I'm questioning having one on my crew in Star Trek Online, SHEESH!!

They killed off the right character. Ortegas should die next.

Going to post the same question on The Orville board.

To people who watch both shows, who do you think won the week?
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Going to post the same question on The Orville board.

To people who watch both shows, who do you think won the week?
    This was a particularly strong week for the Orville and a fairly generic week for SNW.

I don't watch The Orville but "generic" is highly incorrect.

The Orville won last week, but SNW won this week. It is wonderful to watch new episodes of both on the same day.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I am impressed that most of the Gorn scenes used pupetts and not just CGI.

There's a new clip from the next one-Pike meets one of the people he saves later in the accident.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    The Orville won last week, but SNW won this week. It is wonderful to watch new episodes of both on the same day.
    Indeed. Playing "Who Won The Week?" is fun.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Although with M'Benga's daughter part of the issue is likely how she could age out of the role. By being in the transporter buffer she isn't supposed to age, but a child actor could change in obvious ways between seasons that would break the suspension of disbelief.

Otherwise, I think I get what you are saying. Some of the character work is stuff you think would work better is season 2 or 3 rather in season 1, after the established character traits have simmered a little more.
    The creative team made a point of saying they were going to go after a TOS feel to the episodes. However, I get your point. Even tho we're getting to see M'Benga continuing to walk the path of grief, his daughter's resolution did feel a bit fast.

Still, I'm enjoying it.

Sam's yelling at Spock kind of reminded me of (Kelvinverse) Kirk's attempt to get the other Spock emotional in the '09 film. Funny thing is, he was told to do that by an older version of this Spock....
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth