Page 39 of 99 FirstFirst ... 293536373839404142434989 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Because it looks cooler and it's what people expect now when they watch Star Trek.

I don't get the attention some people pay to continuity minutia.
    So because YOU don't personally have a problem with it, other people shouldn't? If continuity issues don't bother you, good for you, but some other people will notice and will comment on them from time to time. I don't see what's so hard to understand about THAT.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    You just have to say F it the hell with Paramount and CBS it's not Canon to TOS just like the Kelvin Films and enjoy it for what it is
    Which is a decent, fun, and good looking show and the best Trek we've gotten in a very long time.
    Bold emphasis for truth.
    That's how I'm approaching it but with at least some optimism the writers at least try to resolve some things, the most glaring being the Khan connection. And I'm happy to accept some continuity incredulities if I can keep getting the same quality in SNW as I've gotten in its first 3 episodes.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    So because YOU don't personally have a problem with it, other people shouldn't? If continuity issues don't bother you, good for you, but some other people will notice and will comment on them from time to time. I don't see what's so hard to understand about THAT.
    Continuity seems to only bother people when things aren't congruous within shows they are really invested in. Let Jack Bauer suddenly have no kids. Let Walter White suddenly have brain cancer. Let the Mad Men cast suddenly start watching TV on flat screens. Continuity matters in fiction. If you don't want to be constrained by continuity, do what DIS finally did: set your show somewhere/somewhen you can create your own... but even then you have to be consistent about it. Create the rules governing how your world works and stick to them, and just remember the details about the characters you've created. If you change something, acknowledge it and show it. Some minor things I can let slide or accept as changes necessary for visually updating a 60 year old show but major things should be respected and acknowledged.
    Last edited by nx01a; 05-21-2022 at 02:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

It just seems like looking for reasons not to enjoy something to me.

Does the fact that they have badges rather than patches on the uniform impact the story being told?

No, because it's just a simple design choice.

For me, caring about small continuity points is only a bonus if it enhances your viewing...but if caring about nitpicking detracts from what is otherwise a solidly entertaining story, it really does make me scratch my head and ask, "Why?"
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Because it looks cooler and it's what people expect now when they watch Star Trek.

I don't get the attention some people pay to continuity minutia.
    Okay the interior looks better IMO, but the exterior classic design of the Enterprise is far superior IMO.

When people watch Star Trek they expect likeable characters and good thought provoking stories with an hopeful outlook for humanity's future. Which is what SNW is delivering so far and that's refreshing because before SNW we got neither from DISCO & Picard. They created great special effects and nice sets being used like shining keys being waved at a baby to distract from the awful writing.

We care about continuity because we're invested in the universe. If the story is good we'll make allowances if the story is bad. Then the bad continuity is just another piece of garbage to add to the dumpster fire.

It just seems like looking for reasons not to enjoy something to me.

Does the fact that they have badges rather than patches on the uniform impact the story being told?

No, because it's just a simple design choice.

For me, caring about small continuity points is only a bonus if it enhances your viewing...but if caring about nitpicking detracts from what is otherwise a solidly entertaining story, it really does make me scratch my head and ask, "Why?"
    So if you have at least ONE or TWO complaints about something in an EPISODE of a show, you can't enjoy the show overall? That seems incredibly close-minded to me. By that logic, one would have to like EVERYTHING about ALL EPISODES in a certain show in order to be seen as not "looking for reasons not to enjoy something."

I've seen countless people on these boards complain about Star Trek Discovery year after year, but the moment someone criticizes ONE or TWO things in an episode of Strange New Worlds in Episode 3, those people are suddenly looking for something to complain about?

And we are talking about IN UNIVERSE reasons as to why they go from pin badges pre-TOS, to cloth badges in TOS and then back to pin badges post-TOS in the Prime Universe. That to me is odd and it may be odd to a few other people who notice stuff like that. "Because it may look cool" explains it outside universe, but IN UNIVERSE that doesn't explain anything. It also doesn't explain why IN UNIVERSE Pike's Enterprise in TOS had a small screen and Pike's Enterprise screen in this new series is super wide and the ship looks more sophisticated than it did in TOS, even though to my knowledge this is supposed to be the SAME continuity and SAME ship as TOS. IN UNIVERSE, some of these uniform details and ship interior details make it seem like some Starfleet engineers or costume designers go back and forth on how they want things designed. One minute things are more sophisticated and then the next they aren't as sophisticated.

Also, I might not have noticed the pin badge thing had it not been REMOVED in the episode. That's the type of thing I'm used to seeing in TNG and beyond, not pre-TNG.

This is one of the reasons why some people like the Star Trek Continues series on YouTube, because it looks like the people behind that show paid attention to detail, like the costumes, the ship interiors, etc.

Again, this matters to SOME people while it might not to others, but I'm tired of people who don't see the big deal, acting as though EVERYONE should not pay attention to it because THEY don't see what the big deal is.

Not everybody thinks like you do or is willing to ignore stuff like you do.
    Last edited by MoneySpider; 05-21-2022 at 05:09 PM.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

So if you have at least ONE or TWO complaints about something in an EPISODE of a show, you can't enjoy the show overall? That seems incredibly close-minded to me. By that logic, one would have to like EVERYTHING about ALL EPISODES in a certain show in order to be seen as not "looking for reasons not to enjoy something."

I've seen countless people on these boards complain about Star Trek Discovery year after year, but the moment someone criticizes ONE or TWO things in an episode of Strange New Worlds in Episode 3, those people are suddenly looking for something to complain about?

And we are talking about IN UNIVERSE reasons as to why they go from pin badges pre-TOS, to cloth badges in TOS and then back to pin badges post-TOS in the Prime Universe. That to me is odd and it may be odd to a few other people who notice stuff like that. "Because it may look cool" explains it outside universe, but IN UNIVERSE that doesn't explain anything. It also doesn't explain why IN UNIVERSE Pike's Enterprise in TOS had a small screen and Pike's Enterprise screen in this new series is super wide and the ship looks more sophisticated than it did in TOS, even though to my knowledge this is supposed to be the SAME continuity and SAME ship as TOS. IN UNIVERSE, some of these uniform details and ship interior details make it seem like some Starfleet engineers or costume designers go back and forth on how they want things designed. One minute things are more sophisticated and then the next they aren't as sophisticated.

Also, I might not have noticed the pin badge thing had it not been REMOVED in the episode. That's the type of thing I'm used to seeing in TNG and beyond, not pre-TNG.

This is one of the reasons why some people like the Star Trek Continues series on YouTube, because it looks like the people behind that show paid attention to detail, like the costumes, the ship interiors, etc.

Again, this matters to SOME people while it might not to others, but I'm tired of people who don't see the big deal, acting as though EVERYONE should not pay attention to it because THEY don't see what the big deal is.

Not everybody thinks like you do or is willing to ignore stuff like you do.
    I'm middle of the road on this. I've long since given up on prequel continuity matching up with TOS. I'm quite okay with a lot of it. I get that the tech has to look as sophisticated as they can make it not like 1960s sci fi tech.

My take on continuity goes something like this. Enterprise, Discovery and SNW are prequels not to what we saw in TOS or in the recent Abrams movies but prequels to an alternate reality TOS that we have never seen.

This is based on Arthur C. Clarke's approach to "2010" where they had him changing things from how they happened in "2001" to the point that he called it an alternate reality sequel. not to the "2001" people saw in theaters but to the "2001" that was in theaters in an alternate universe where it happened differently.

For me that idea is just fun. It allows me to appreciate these shows on their own merits without having to appreciate them equally as prequels to TOS.

I'm also glad you brought up "Star Trek Continues". I realize it was a niche show for diehard ST fans and especially diehard TOS fans. I don't think that a current ST show featuring tech and sets that look 1960s would work for the kind of audience SNW has to bring in. But I loved how STC truly gave the feeling of being TOS and a TOS continuation. It even pushed the envelope introducing a past love interest of Kirk's who was black and even explaining why we didn't see any women in command of Constitution class ships and why there seemed almost a 1960s attitude toward women which was that Earth and humans may have overcome sexism but there were plenty of aliens in the Federation who still harbored sexist attitudes. This was a time when the Federation was in it's relative infancy and desperately needed these species. The episode dealt with how it was still an injustice.

Of everyone I know personally who has seen STC everyone considers it canon regardless of what Paramount says. Honestly, it's more canon more true to TOS than any of the prequals. I was never a Kirk fan but in STC with another actor playing him he's my favorite character.

That having been said I do really like the little I've seen so far of SNW. I've also seen Discovery season one and liked it

Sometimes I jokingly think that eventually, everything that Kirk and crew did first will eventually be taken away by some prequal crew doing it first (the Mirror Universe being an example) IF you really consider the prequels to be canon or in the same universe as TOS. They can be both canon and not true prequels to TOS just by the obvious fact that they are an alternate universe.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Okay the interior looks better IMO, but the exterior classic design of the Enterprise is far superior IMO.

When people watch Star Trek they expect likeable characters and good thought provoking stories with an hopeful outlook for humanity's future. Which is what SNW is delivering so far and that's refreshing because before SNW we got neither from DISCO & Picard. They created great special effects and nice sets being used like shining keys being waved at a baby to distract from the awful writing.

We care about continuity because we're invested in the universe. If the story is good we'll make allowances if the story is bad. Then the bad continuity is just another piece of garbage to add to the dumpster fire.
    That's a very good point. We tend to become hyper critical of stories we already dislike for other reasons but forgiving of continuity issues in something we like.
    Power with Girl is better.

If this show is supposed to be Prime Universe Trek, then why do they have the Starfleet insignia pins instead of the cloth-type insignias that they wore in TOS? Or did they wear pins, then ditched the pins in TOS era, then went back to pins in TNG and beyond?
    This show absolutely 1000% does not take place in the prime timeline. This show and Discovery are part of a rebooted timeline. There are far too many contradictions to claim otherwise.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    This show absolutely 1000% does not take place in the prime timeline. This show and Discovery are part of a rebooted timeline. There are far too many contradictions to claim otherwise.
    Agreed. And I am fairly sure the turning point took place during First Contact.

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    Agreed. And I am fairly sure the turning point took place during First Contact.
    I like that theory a lot. If that's the case, then would Enterprise be a part of the reboot timeline as well?

It does take place in the Prime Timeline, but at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter. If you need it to take place in a different timeline to enjoy it, by all means go for it. Personal canons are far more important than anything else.

I like that theory a lot. If that's the case, then would Enterprise be a part of the reboot timeline as well?
    Everything post JJ Abrams. Heck, Discovery is really easy to ignore because it can never be mentioned because it is so classified AND they went to the future never to return. I have no idea why they are so desperate to escape the dreaded reboot label.

No harm in saying that it's time for a reboot. They would save themselves and the fans so much trouble if they just said "Yeah, this is a reboot". The problem is in today's environment creators, (JJ Abrams and his cohorts such as Kurtzman being chief among them) keep going for soft reboots.

No one likes soft reboots. Soft Reboots don't work.
    A soft reboot didn't work for Trek
    A soft reboot didn't work for Star Wars
    A soft reboot didn't work for Terminator etc...

The only franchise I can think of where a soft reboot worked was Ghostbusters and that was only because everyone was so desperate to forget about Ghostbusters 2016.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

My head canon and I loved ENT, but in my Head Canon due to the Temporal Cold War which was a major story in ENT that ENT, SNW, DISCO, Picard, Prodigy, & Lower Decks are a separate continuity from TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, & VOY.

Star Trek uniform continuity has been kind of weird for a while now. It's not really that new.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

does the series stress action or is it more about ethical, philosophical dilemmas? How much of the Pike era of the Enterprise has been written about in novels?