Page 12 of 99 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I doubt that will happen, I read somewhere that the updating they did for the remastered DVDs was not only incredibly time consuming but also crazy expensive so it's not likely we'll see that kind of project again.
    I read that as well but I must say the update Enterprise in orbit, City-scapes, horizons etc do make for a more smooth and streamlined "future" look.

If they did manage to update TOS bridge controls that would be pretty cool. No pitchforks here. I own both sets. Original and Remastered TOS box sets.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Zeerust Canon....how does TVTropes define that? This is something they came up with?
    Yeah, it's the idea of old sci-fi having outdated elements (disproven science, predictions that never came to pass, etc.) that are too essential to the material to ignore. The Eugenics Wars would be an example of "Zeerust Canon" for Star Trek, given that genetic engineering, much less wars over it, never happened in the '90s, but even the modern incarnations of the franchise produced long after 1996 will still include it as backstory as originally described (most notably Star Trek Into Darkness.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I doubt that will happen, I read somewhere that the updating they did for the remastered DVDs was not only incredibly time consuming but also crazy expensive so it's not likely we'll see that kind of project again.
    I think the TNG sets did do some special effects revisions but I think it was mainly just cleaning up or remastering the original FX instead of a total CG do-over.

I think part of the reason we haven't seen an HD version of the TMP director's cut (Which, along with other edits, added new FX, mainly Vulcan looks closer to the other shows, some more of Starfleet HQ and a few new shots of Enterprise and a full V'ger vessel reveal) is that the new FX were done in DVD resolution, or something like that.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I think part of the reason we haven't seen an HD version of the TMP director's cut (Which, along with other edits, added new FX, mainly Vulcan looks closer to the other shows, some more of Starfleet HQ and a few new shots of Enterprise and a full V'ger vessel reveal) is that the new FX were done in DVD resolution, or something like that.
    Guess that's not going to be a problem after all...
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

That's pretty awesome, hopefully it draws some more eyes to Paramount+ too

That's pretty awesome, hopefully it draws some more eyes to Paramount+ too
    Here's hoping it gets on BluRay.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Here's hoping it gets on BluRay.
    I'm assuming it will, if it wasn't I don't they would have billed it as having an "exclusive window at Paramount+" as that implies further release elsewhere.

I'm assuming it will, if it wasn't I don't they would have billed it as having an "exclusive window at Paramount+" as that implies further release elsewhere.
    Well, they are making a new BluRay release of the theatrical cut that's coming out in a few months, with none of the other edits included, so there is that. (Also, considering that the original extended VHS edition has never gotten a DVD or BluRay release, I'm not exactly taking this for granted.)
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Boisterously Confused

Her look is well suited to it, but TBH, I hope they'll generally steer clear of TOS characters (except maybe STD's version of Mudd, who was a dastardly delight in the first season). If for no other reason, I'm not looking forward to the Nerd Rage guaranteed to engulf this thread if an ep places one toe out of continuity canon.

Jesus, she's gorgeous, but more importantly she looks like she can match Spock at all levels.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Her look is well suited to it, but TBH, I hope they'll generally steer clear of TOS characters (except maybe STD's version of Mudd, who was a dastardly delight in the first season). If for no other reason, I'm not looking forward to the Nerd Rage guaranteed to engulf this thread if an ep places one toe out of continuity canon.
    I agree as well that they should stay clear of TOS Characters, they will likely make them just come off worse.

I think they will indeed stay clear of TOS characters because this series is a prequel, so they will want to rely more on new characters to tell more stories since what prequels does is limit story expansion and the better way to get around that is to have new characters as that automatically brings new stories, I expect Alex Kurtzman to know this even if he is no Intellectual.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Jesus, she's gorgeous, but more importantly she looks like she can match Spock at all levels.

Spock and Tpring are just a terrible unmatched couple lol and Although I know Spock had other romantic love interest like Leia Kemoni and Zarabeth, I just now find it hard to see Spock liking or having feelings for any other female characters who is not named Uhura because of the Kelvin JJ Abrams movies.

I will rather have Spock and Uhura date in Strange new worlds but then, chose to end it before TOS began. I think that will make far more sense and tie in well to their flirtation in TOS episodes like Charlie X and the Man's Trap and also, explain why in the alternate reality Kelvinverse they are a couple, Since let's be honest. the only reason why Uhura was never made a real love interest for Kirk, Spock or even Mccoy was because of the racism in the 1960s. I think Strange new worlds may be a chance to correct such wrongs and she and Spock do go well.

Lastly I just don't like T'Pring. She was pretty funny in TOS but the last Star Trek Novel I read about her (More Beautiful Than Death), girl was just plain evil. That was a Kelvinverse novel though.
    Last edited by Castle; 07-28-2021 at 12:55 PM.

Ultimate Member

Mudd was underutilized. He should come back. But generally, it's ok if they use ToS characters as long as it doesn't massively contradict the previous canon, unless the previous canon made no sense anyway

...I'm not looking forward to the Nerd Rage guaranteed to engulf this thread if an ep places one toe out of continuity canon.
    Yeah, even as someone who's had a bit of a love/hate relationship with the DSC-era shows (really like the show and characters, but the artistic license with continuity bugs me a bit), I'm over the whole "it disrespects canon" thing; since the show was designed to relate to the other shows in a "broad strokes" fashion, it should be taken on those terms, not condemned because it wasn't what they wanted it to be.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Kind of curious about other TOS characters as well. I'm not sure if it's ever been established if any of the TOS regulars apart from Spock obviously (and probably Gary) might've actually been on the Enterprise under Pike as well. non-canon wise There's an old DC comic I think that has Scotty, for example, under Spock, No.1 & Pike. A lot of the "Expanded Universe" Trek stuff also seems to have McCoy, Uhura etc as part of Kirk's early crew, they were just off-screen or on a different shift or station during the events of WNMHGB. That's also the 'fanon' explanation as to how Khan recognizes Chekhov, he was simply assigned to some other part of Enterprise during SPACE SEED and somehow made an impression on Khan off-screen.

Also be interesting to have a new take on Colt, who is one CAGE character who didn't show up in Discovery.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth