Page 2 of 99 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

It just hit me...Akiva Goldsman wrote Batman and Robin. Yet I'm still sort of excited about this. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118688/fullcredits
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Astonishing Member

Do we ever find out the Final Fate of Number One in canon? I assume she's appeared in books and stuff but where she ends up and why she wasn't on the Enterprise might be interesting as well...

I'm so excited for this show. The possibilities.. What a time to be a Trek fan, hope they nail the story.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    Mixed feelings. Pike's character was incredible in Discovery so I'm glad I'll see more of him.

But there isn't really a lot that can be done with series as we know where Pike, Spock, and the Enterprise will end up thus there can never really be any stakes with them. Unless they go full new timeline with Pike dodging his fate but then that creates a whole new can of worms.
    Then there is no point in studying history. I mean, why should we know the events that led to the signing of the Declaration of Independence in 1776? "America gained its independence in 1776. That's it. Move along..."

For some of us, the fascination of a Pike series isn't what leads to TOS; we already know that. For some of us, we want to know what kinds of adventures/missions Pike and crew had, outside the one or two we already know.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    We had that show already, it was called "Picard". To quote Picard "It was an unmitigated disaster."

They have nailed the casting. I'm down to see what they can do with Kirk.
    You know, they can always use the show to transition the Pike Era into the Kirk Era, and thus complete the historic "five-year mission" under Kirk, with a additional two seasons...

Ultimate Member

It occurs to me, Pike is one of the best cast characters in Trek history.

Sean Kenney was good.

Bruce Greenwood was really good.

Anson Mount is really good.

Spectacular Member Kuro no Shinigami's Avatar

A Star Trek show abbout Pike and Spock.

So what's the next Star Trek series about? The adventures of Capt. Hikaru Sulu and Excelsior? Or the adventures of Captain Harriman, Demora Sulu and Enterprise-B?

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    Do we ever find out the Final Fate of Number One in canon? I assume she's appeared in books and stuff but where she ends up and why she wasn't on the Enterprise might be interesting as well...
    Nope, never mentioned after the original pilot (not counting DSC).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Kuro no Shinigami View Post
    A Star Trek show abbout Pike and Spock.

So what's the next Star Trek series about? The adventures of Capt. Hikaru Sulu and Excelsior? Or the adventures of Captain Harriman, Demora Sulu and Enterprise-B?
    The Capt. Sulu show had been pitched for *years* during the Berman era and beyond, but the powers that be didn't see enough demand in it, nor did the 90s and 00s had such a social media world like we do currently. I'm convinced that if the timing was right with today's fan demand for more Trek and current corporate cooperation, George Takei really would have gotten his wish. Consider that George Takei became more popular in the mainstream less because of Sulu and more because of his social media presence (though the former was obviously the foundation for the latter), but now he's making PSAs with the likes of Carl Reiner and Rita Moreno, and he was never in that stratosphere of celebrity fame prior to the '10s.

a more classic TOS era inspired show with the possibility of seeing younger versions of the TOS crew? Yes, signed me up.

A true continuation of the 5 year mission trek exploring the stars. It's why I became a fan in the first place. Real Sci-Fi stories. Plus more character interactions.

BANNED

There hasn't been a good start trek adaptation since TNG, so I'll reserve judgement until I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    What I would like to see is Number One earn her own command, but then die in action and make that the reason, sexist as it would be, why there are no female captains during Kirk's time as Captain of the Enterprise.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Niffleheim

Now i have to slog through Discovery just to know what this is about. How many times are the horrible looking Klingons on Discovery?

Ultimate Member

While it was jarring seeing Spock with his patchy beard on Discovery, now I see him without it and I'm like, 'uh, grow it back.'

Which was my second shallow takeaway from that picture. The first was 'That was Rebecca Romjin? Number One was Mystique? My fandoms are quantum-entangling!'
    Last edited by Sutekh; 05-16-2020 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    Now i have to slog through Discovery just to know what this is about. How many times are the horrible looking Klingons on Discovery?
    It was a stunt/special appearance to get you to watch Discovery. You don't have to watch Discovery to understand this show.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007
    It occurs to me, Pike is one of the best cast characters in Trek history.
    I agree. Spock also seems to be doing well. Curious to see what happens down the line when the cast from TNG starts getting cast with different actors. On the Picard show they had an actress (Never Zadegan https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2464261/ref_=tt_cl_t8 ) playing a Betazad crime boss who looked and sounded so much like a younger Marina Sirtis that I thought they could be related.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesonAnders
    There hasn't been a good start trek adaptation since TNG, so I'll reserve judgement until I see it.
    Deep Space Nine was great, but I see where you are coming from. Right now all the excitement is coming from the casting. Discovery and Picard showed that you can have top notch casting and production values but if the writing is terrible...the show is terrible.

Akiva Goldsman wrote Batman and Robin y'all.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest