Page 25 of 99 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575 ... LastLast

"Maybe we don't touch anything else, just a suggestion" Captain Sisco after someone is almost killed after touching a Bajoran artifact.

Does that hit the ears right?
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    "Maybe we don't touch anything else, just a suggestion" Captain Sisco after someone is almost killed after touching a Bajoran artifact.

Does that hit the ears right?
    Nope, which is why I didn't use Sisko as an example lol

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Nope, which is why I didn't use Sisko as an example lol
    Ha! Yeah, but this has sort has been a problem with Trek since it came back. The dialogue just sounds far too casual. Besides Picard the people on Picard aren't really Starfleet and to be honest I'm shocked that Starfleet would take any of those people back, especially Raffi. So I don't hold them to the same standard. This is really meant to be a back to basics Trek and the dialogue is still Discovery quality.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Kirk: Mr Sulu, can you get us closer to the anomaly

Sulu: How close you want to get first date or third date"

So that sounds "right" to you?

Picard: Ambassador, surely we can work something...

((Ambassador ends talks))

Riker:: I think that went well

So that sounds right to you?
    During the run of the original series? No, but during the films(especially in Voyage Home)? Absolutely.

And if you were to tell me that was an actual quote from Riker I wouldn't have batted an eye, that's how dead on it is to his personality.

That you feel this sounds like the Orville isn't some gotcha, it's just more evidence that the Orville really does feel like an actual Star Trek show.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 04-10-2022 at 05:38 PM.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Okay, I gave in and watched the trailers.

Ortega actually says "How close you want to get first date or third date" when piloting towards something. Pike says "Blind Date" That is dialogue that you would expect to hear Malloy and Mercer say on The Orville.

"I think that went well" Is something I would expect to hear on The Orville.

Pike teleporting down and sheepishly saying "Hi" is something I would expect to see Ed Mercer do on The Orville

" Maybe we don't touch anything else, just a suggestion" after someone gets shocked is something I would expect to hear...on The Orville.

"It's not because you're the senior officer, it's because you terrify people" Is something you would expect to hear on sigh on The Orville

"You're fun!" I

Don't get me wrong I like The Orville, but it's a dramedy (drama+comedy) Trek is not.

It's like the writers are really struggling to marry the professional atmosphere of a Federation ship with their quip heavy smart ass no nuance writing style.
    It sounds like stuff from the Kelvin Timeline movies or Lower Decks, which are Star Trek installments.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    It sounds like stuff from the Kelvin Timeline movies or Lower Decks, which are Star Trek installments.
    You don't even have to go that modern, in Star Trek: The Voyage Home you had Kirk remark,"Everybody, remember where we parked" as the ship recloaks in the park.

And the FBI interrogation of Chekov was a great play who's on first first, "Let's start from the top-- The top of what?-- Name?--My Name? No, My name.--I don't know your name!--You play games with me, mister, and you're through! --I am through? May I go now?"

And in The Final Frontier you had one of my favorite Trek moments when Scotty knocked himself out cold right after saying how he knew the ship like the back of his hand.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    During the run of the original series? No, but during the films(especially in Voyage Home)? Absolutely.

And if you were to tell me that was an actual quote from Riker I wouldn't have batted an eye, that's how dead on it is to his personality.

That you feel this sounds like the Orville isn't some gotcha, it's just more evidence that the Orville really does feel like an actual Star Trek show.
    No. It's not a gotcha, just a sad realization. But hey, if they are backing off of Discovery's "constantly bursting into tears everyone needs to see a therapist style" to the Orville, that is a step up.

No. It's not a gotcha, just a sad realization. But hey, if they are backing off of Discovery's "constantly bursting into tears everyone needs to see a therapist style" to the Orville, that is a step up.
    It shouldn't be a sad realization either. Wry humor doesn't belong solely to the Orville, there was plenty of it in Trek before(especially in the films) so it doesn't feel off for it to be here. I posted several lines above that are exactly the same tonally as both the lines from Strange New Worlds and your own hypothetical lines and I could post dozens more.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 04-10-2022 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    You don't even have to go that modern, in Star Trek: The Voyage Home you had Kirk remark,"Everybody, remember where we parked" as the ship recloaks in the park.

And the FBI interrogation of Chekov was a great play who's on first first, "Let's start from the top-- The top of what?-- Name?--My Name? No, My name.--I don't know your name!--You play games with me, mister, and you're through! --I am through? May I go now?"

And in The Final Frontier you had one of my favorite Trek moments when Scotty knocked himself out cold right after saying how he knew the ship like the back of his hand.
    "Did you see that?" "No, and neither did you so shut up!"

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    The Riker gag in Lower Decks ("Gimme warp five... six... seven... eight") as a play on jazz was so perfectly Riker I'm a little surprised, in retrospect, that it took until Lower Decks for somebody to do it.

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

KIRK: I was lucky that thing had knees.
    MARTIA: That was not his knee. ...Not everybody keeps their genitals in the same place, Captain.
    KIRK: Anything you want to tell me?
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Quote Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post
    "Did you see that?" "No, and neither did you so shut up!"
    Vonda Mcentyre's adaptation had a weird bit where the conversation between the garbagemen was them rehearsing a play or something.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

From Star Trek III: The Search For Spock:

SCOTT: It usually takes eight weeks for a job like this, but you don't have eight weeks, so I'll do it for you in two.

KIRK: Why, Mr. Scott, have you always multiplied your repair estimates by a factor of four?

SCOTT: Of course, sir. How else could I maintain my reputation as a miracle worker?
    Watching television is not an activity.

I forgot that exchange but do remember him telling Geordi to do something similar in TNG lol

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Vonda Mcentyre's adaptation had a weird bit where the conversation between the garbagemen was them rehearsing a play or something.
    I did prefer her take on the interrogation scene though, even if I understand why that version don't make in into the movie.

....after reading through Chekov's Starfleet stuff...
    Agent: Right. And my name is Bond. Let's take it from the top.
    Chekov: The top of what?
    Agent: Name.
    Chekov: My name?
    Agent: No,.my name!
    Chekov: Your name is Bond.
    Agent:. My name is NOT Bond!
    Chekov: Then I do not know your name!
    Dark does not mean deep.