Page 26 of 99 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    You don't even have to go that modern, in Star Trek: The Voyage Home you had Kirk remark,"Everybody, remember where we parked" as the ship recloaks in the park.

And the FBI interrogation of Chekov was a great play who's on first first, "Let's start from the top-- The top of what?-- Name?--My Name? No, My name.--I don't know your name!--You play games with me, mister, and you're through! --I am through? May I go now?"

And in The Final Frontier you had one of my favorite Trek moments when Scotty knocked himself out cold right after saying how he knew the ship like the back of his hand.
    Or, dare I bring up a few older bits.

I, Mudd

The Trouble With Tribbles

A Piece Of the Action
    Dark does not mean deep.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Or, dare I bring up a few older bits.

I, Mudd

The Trouble With Tribbles

A Piece Of the Action
    Yeah, there were definitely a fair share of humorous episodes in addition to the occasional humorous line. I think that was one of my favorite aspects of the original series that really hasn't been duplicated since; the original series though maintaining a set cast and setting of the future was essentially an anthology series that featured stories with a very wide range of tones, subjects and even genres. There were a few holodeck adventures in Next Gen that sort of tried to do the same thing but not nearly as many as there were in the original series.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

That was one of the things I liked about DS9, as well. A Quark-centered episode would have a very different tone than a Kira-centered episode, which would in turn have a very different tone than a Sisko-centered episode, etc. From week to week, the show could be many different things, all entertaining and insightful.
    Watching television is not an activity.

That's the downside to only having 10 episodes per season. Not enough time for character driven episodes
    It all has to relate to the main plot and thus, overall tone.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    That was one of the things I liked about DS9, as well. A Quark-centered episode would have a very different tone than a Kira-centered episode, which would in turn have a very different tone than a Sisko-centered episode, etc. From week to week, the show could be many different things, all entertaining and insightful.
    Plus they had their own holodeck stuff as well-the Baseball episode, a lot of the Vince Fontaine material etc.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Vonda Mcentyre's adaptation had a weird bit where the conversation between the garbagemen was them rehearsing a play or something.
    That is weird.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    I forgot that exchange but do remember him telling Geordi to do something similar in TNG lol

Vonda tended to embellish things a bit in her adaptations; The Trek II novel pretty much gave a lot of info on the Regula crew; the Trek III novel was also somewhat infamous for having Saavik and David have an entire relationship that's not really supported by the movie at all (If anything, it's implied she has a relationship with the semi-mindless Spock). Also the Trek III novel even had a mini-subplot that dealt with the survivors of the "merchantman" destroyed by Kruge, also Scotty having to deal with his nephew's death, and Uhura having to high-tail it to the Vulcan embassy.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 04-11-2022 at 06:55 PM.

Vonda tended to embellish things a bit in her adaptations; The Trek II novel pretty much gave a lot of info on the Regula crew; the Trek III novel was also somewhat infamous for having Saavik and David have an entire relationship that's not really supported by the movie at all (If anything, it's implied she has a relationship with the semi-mindless Spock). Also the Trek III novel even had a mini-subplot that dealt with the survivors of the "merchantman" destroyed by Kruge, also Scotty having to deal with his nephew's death, and Uhura having to high-tail it to the Vulcan embassy.
    Always interesting when the novelizations add more story material.

In regards to the bolded, I think the David/Saavik relationship might've been borrowed from ideas from the movies; the DVD/BluRay of the director's cut of Star Trek II had features suggesting that an idea in that story was that Saavik had a crush on Kirk that got transferred to his son (probably not the greatest idea, but there it is). So far as Spock, that's literally right in the movie, albeit left for the viewers to piece together from what's said and been established in the TV show.

Heck, the fourth movie almost explained that Saavik stayed home for maternity leave, which wouldn't have left much up to the imagination had that stayed in the script.

Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

The novels toyed a bit with Spock having a son, the son of Zarabeth (From All Our Yesterdays). There's also of course one Star Trek comic that strongly implies Kirk might have a half-Romulan daughter as well; although canon-wise I'm pretty sure Sulu is the only character with a living offspring.

Technically the Kelvinverse could still go there with Spock I think....

The novels toyed a bit with Spock having a son, the son of Zarabeth (From All Our Yesterdays). There's also of course one Star Trek comic that strongly implies Kirk might have a half-Romulan daughter as well; although canon-wise I'm pretty sure Sulu is the only character with a living offspring.

Technically the Kelvinverse could still go there with Spock I think....
    How would that Zarabeth's son plot have worked out, since she was sent to live in one of those Ice Ages, 5,000 years in the past (according to some dialogue from Spock in that episode)? If she had given birth to his kid, how would he have known about it?

And which Romulan female did Kirk sleep with?
    Last edited by MoneySpider; 04-12-2022 at 07:05 PM.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Basically they discover evidence of Vulcans on Sarpeidon, and they use The Guardian of Forever to check it out.

The first novel (Yesterda'ys son) is supposed to be set around the time of the Five Year Mission (After All Our Yesterdays, of course). The second (Time for Yesterday) is set during the early movie era with Kirk as an Admiral, although once again taking command of the ship for a special mission.

The possible Kirk daughter is from the DC graphic novel Debt of Honor. https://memory-beta.fandom.com/wiki/T%27Kir . It's got some nice art by Adam Hughes, and features a lot of TOS characters (Mostly Enterprise officers apart from Kirk and co.) reuniting with the crew in the movie era. Also Gillian and her whales.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 04-12-2022 at 07:48 PM.

Basically they discover evidence of Vulcans on Sarpeidon, and they use The Guardian of Forever to check it out.

The first novel (Yesterda'ys son) is supposed to be set around the time of the Five Year Mission (After All Our Yesterdays, of course). The second (Time for Yesterday) is set during the early movie era with Kirk as an Admiral, although once again taking command of the ship for a special mission.

The possible Kirk daughter is from the DC graphic novel Debt of Honor. https://memory-beta.fandom.com/wiki/T%27Kir . It's got some nice art by Adam Hughes, and features a lot of TOS characters (Mostly Enterprise officers apart from Kirk and co.) reuniting with the crew in the movie era. Also Gillian and her whales.
    Thanks for the info!
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

They're by the late AC Crispin (apart from Debt of Honor, which is a Claremont) who also wrote a very good Sarek novel as well.

Kind of curious if the Khan-related character might have some link to whatever Soong's up to in PICARD.