Page 3 of 99 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Oh no, this looks like bad news.

I'll just wait on the Orville season 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    While it was jarring seeing Spock with his patchy beard on Discovery, now I see him without it and I'm like, 'uh, grow it back.'

Which was my second shallow takeaway from that picture. The first was 'That was Rebecca Romjin? Number One was Mystique? My fandoms are quantum-entangling!'
    It's funny, cause I totally didn't recognize her until I read it was Romjin on the internet somewhere.

Still, I thought she did an awesome job. I think the crew thus far seems top notch. Definitely excited about this show.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    It was a stunt/special appearance to get you to watch Discovery. You don't have to watch Discovery to understand this show.

I agree. Spock also seems to be doing well. Curious to see what happens down the line when the cast from TNG starts getting cast with different actors. On the Picard show they had an actress (Never Zadegan https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2464261/ref_=tt_cl_t8 ) playing a Betazad crime boss who looked and sounded so much like a younger Marina Sirtis that I thought they could be related.

Deep Space Nine was great, but I see where you are coming from. Right now all the excitement is coming from the casting. Discovery and Picard showed that you can have top notch casting and production values but if the writing is terrible...the show is terrible.

Akiva Goldsman wrote Batman and Robin y'all.
    Granted, Batman and Robin was terrible, but Goldsman has improved in his writing. Check out his episodes of Fringe sometime.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    What I would like to see is Number One earn her own command, but then die in action and make that the reason, sexist as it would be, why there are no female captains during Kirk's time as Captain of the Enterprise.
    The Peter David "New Frontier" novels tried to tie her in with the other Majel Barrett Star Trek characters (Chapel, Troi, the computer) and also had her be Robin Leffler (Ashley Judd's short-running TNG character)'s mother.

I don't think the female captain thing was really that concrete, the Turnabout Intruder line could be interpreted in different ways (and she wasn't exactly the sanest character). Even before Discover there's at least one female captain seen in TVH.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 05-17-2020 at 11:43 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I don't think the female captain thing was really that concrete, the Turnabout Intruder line could be interpreted in different ways (and she wasn't exactly the sanest character). Even before Discover there's at least one female captain seen in TVH.
    Yeah, we only see a small part of Starfleet in TOS, so, with new info from ENT and DSC, we know there were female captains during TOS, off camera.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Granted, Batman and Robin was terrible, but Goldsman has improved in his writing. Check out his episodes of Fringe sometime.
    Batman and Robin was great writing given what was being asked for.

Eh, I'm pretty bored with Trek set in the TOS time period. To Boldly Go Where We've Been Before!

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Eh, I'm pretty bored with Trek set in the TOS time period. To Boldly Go Where We've Been Before!
    I think that's the upside of having 3 shows. You have Strange New Worlds which is set pre-original series, Picard which is set post Next Generation, and Discovery which is set somewhere in the far future.

It's like a wedding.. something old, something new, something borrowed, etc etc.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Deep Space Nine was great, but I see where you are coming from. Right now all the excitement is coming from the casting. Discovery and Picard showed that you can have top notch casting and production values but if the writing is terrible...the show is terrible.

Akiva Goldsman wrote Batman and Robin y'all.
    Deep Space Nine was good, but it wasn't very good Star Trek

It's true, Deep Space Nine was the best Star Trek.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    It's true, Deep Space Nine was the best Star Trek.
    QFT. Some love for the Sisko!
    Watching television is not an activity.

For a lot of people it's not, because it broke the Roddenberry rules, but I think that is actually what made it the best.

I like AM as Pike but unless stated as an Alternate Timeline than TOS or they explain the difference in Enterprise's appearance I have no desire to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I think that's the upside of having 3 shows. You have Strange New Worlds which is set pre-original series, Picard which is set post Next Generation, and Discovery which is set somewhere in the far future.

It's like a wedding.. something old, something new, something borrowed, etc etc.
    How do I divorce Trek from Kurtzman?

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post

Exactly. Plus the animated show. And I just saw on twitter another animated show announced. It's not named yet, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    How do I divorce Trek from Kurtzman?
    Did Discovery and Picard have bad ratings? I remember seeing Discovery doing quite well. Still haven't seen it, but still plan to. This new Pike show is something I just have to see.