Page 4 of 99 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Exactly. Plus the animated show. And I just saw on twitter another animated show announced. It's not named yet, though.

Did Discovery and Picard have bad ratings? I remember seeing Discovery doing quite well. Still haven't seen it, but still plan to. This new Pike show is something I just have to see.
    There is no ratings just views for CBS ALL ACCESS, Netflix, and Amazon Prime and it's telling Netflix didn't jump to get Picard after getting Discovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    There is no ratings just views for CBS ALL ACCESS, Netflix, and Amazon Prime and it's telling Netflix didn't jump to get Picard after getting Discovery.
    I think it's more telling of CBS trying to stick old school TV practices to streaming services, when really streaming services are exploding right now because viewers are fed up with old school TV practices (hence the cord cutting). Spreading Trek around to various services instead of one, and indeed creating their own service and diluting the market that much more, are just bad moves.

But according to Les Moonves, Netflix's deal with Discovery is what helped create the funds for CBS to fund Picard *and then* shop it to the highest bidder, Amazon. Of course, then it's pretty shitty of CBS to take the money that Netflix essentially printed for them, and then sell it to Amazon. If I bake a cake for my crush, and my crush takes that same cake and gifts it to their crush, it's not a good use of my cake.

It still astounds me, though, that hype for Discovery was so considerable that the second season was greenlit before the show ever premiered -- but that was based on the strength of Netflix international distribution, not CBS All Access (which hadn't been ready yet by the time the 2nd season was greenlit to generate those numbers and hype -- no CBS All Access for the public at the time meant they certainly weren't getting marketing data about this hype, only Netflix.). Rather, CBS predicted how much Netflix would make and then decided to make a streaming service around it, adding to the bloated market.

I'm happy to get new Star Trek and even that there's essentially a dedicated Star Trek service for it, but many of the directions going into it makes me feel like CBS executives didn't learn a thing from Trek's own history of ups and downs, of oversaturation and complacent blandness that came from it. I want a Captain Pike series, sure, but CBS/Viacom has to stop trying to make it as big as Star Wars.
    Last edited by Cyke; 05-18-2020 at 03:02 PM.

Astonishing Member

There's a company (Parrot Analytics) that measures "demand" on streaming shows based on Social Medial, Illegal P2P Downloads, and other things, and Picard was always in the Top 10 in that.

I like AM as Pike but unless stated as an Alternate Timeline than TOS or they explain the difference in Enterprise's appearance I have no desire to watch.
    I don't think that's going to be addressed and I don't think it really can be, given that it's been used in place of the "correct" designs in too many places for a "refit between the shows" explanation to work anymore.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    There's a company (Parrot Analytics) that measures "demand" on streaming shows based on Social Medial, Illegal P2P Downloads, and other things, and Picard was always in the Top 10 in that.
    Except they use negative talk as "demand" too hence why parrot analytics is a bad measure.

Also if Netflix wanted Picard it would had gotten it.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I don't think that's going to be addressed and I don't think it really can be, given that it's been used in place of the "correct" designs in too many places for a "refit between the shows" explanation to work anymore.
    It was used in one place Discovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Akiva Goldsman wrote Batman and Robin y'all.
    I was just reminded of this point -- he also wrote Cinderella Man, and that was before Fringe.

I'm not saying Goldsman won't be terrible, but I also feel like there's an even chance that he could be good, too. After all, the writer who gave us Green Lantern also gave us Logan.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I was just reminded of this point -- he also wrote Cinderella Man, and that was before Fringe.

I'm not saying Goldsman won't be terrible, but I also feel like there's an even chance that he could be good, too. After all, the writer who gave us Green Lantern also gave us Logan.
    Sometimes directors can surprise you. Prior to Winter Soldier rhe only thing I remember the Russo Brothers doing was You, Me and Dupree. Fast foreward a few years and we're getting End Game. So ya never know.

I love The Orville because it reminds me of Star Trek TOS and TNG, just a bit more fun and relaxed. I enjoy the characters, their relationships and their adventures in space. Why can't Strange New Worlds just be like that? Trek invented it.

As long as the character development and stories are good and interesting like those Trek shows, I'll be happy. And even more happy if they introduce younger versions of beloved characters.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    I love The Orville because it reminds me of Star Trek TOS and TNG, just a bit more fun and relaxed. I enjoy the characters, their relationships and their adventures in space. Why can't Strange New Worlds just be like that? Trek invented it.

As long as the character development and stories are good and interesting like those Trek shows, I'll be happy. And even more happy if they introduce younger versions of beloved characters.
    Jonathan Frakes went into good detail about how the Orville and Discovery were philosophically different, since he's consistently worked on both shows. It's interesting that the Orville started out as an affectionate parody, but it was also uneven -- it started to get more rooted and established once it went a bit full more into dedicated sci-fi (and I much prefer these more recent episodes than the first few episodes, personally).

But it also should be said that the Orville started as a parody of TNG, and to do that you have to get into that proper atmosphere. It's not a parody of TOS, nor is it of any other Trek show because they're thematically different. TOS parodies have been done to death, DS9 was essentially a political war show, and Enterprise was about Earth's first steps. The Orville is set in a very established future of exploration where it's constantly on the move. It's also the opposite of Voyager in the most basic sense, and Voyager's only closer to TNG in spirit because the producers were trying to mimic TNG in the first place. The Orville works because it's super specific to what it was trying to ape (TNG), until it eventually started to expand upon. If the Orville tried to parody one of the other shows at first, it would be a very different show itself.

(on a side note, I sometimes wonder if Avenue 5 is trying to parody Voyager, but... it's a little too bland, and that's disappointing since it's the same team from Veep)

Discovery could most certainly use more character work -- I like Michael as a central protagonist but it has a large supporting cast that don't get fleshed out unless one of them is about to die, with the exception of Tilly (whereas DS9 is consistently praised for its supporting cast, even 20 years later). But it's also different than TNG by virtue of premise. Picard could also use more refined character work, in that the writers really have to stop trying to force emotion onto scenes (leading to overreactions) and let emotions happen organically.

Out of the three current shows, Strange New Worlds likely has the best shot of really getting that old school feel of relationships and adventures in space, and it's compounded by the showrunners saying they're aiming to make it more episodic (we'll see if they follow through, though).

BANNED

Except they use negative talk as "demand" too hence why parrot analytics is a bad measure.
    Hmm. Hard to imagine how negative talk on the internet is a bad metric.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post

When you say "sci-fi" to the current crew running Trek it's like they immediately think "GIANT SPACE BATTLE!" They had a truly crazy space battle with fighters pouring out of Federation ships like a Star Wars movie complete with R2D2 like units. They took Picard and crammed a giant space battle into it and had Seven Of Nine shooting people in a bar with a rifle in each hand.

It just feels like they think that Trek is first and foremost an action franchise when it's an adventure one.

And what is strange is every now and then they manage to do an actual Trek episode. "New Eden" was that kind of episode. So is it pressure from the network to be more mainstream? Are they afraid that the audience's attention spans are too short for those kinds of stories?
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

It was used in one place Discovery.
    Well, all the Short Treks on the ship use it, including ones set before and between the original pilot (meaning that we go from Disover-prise to Real-prise, to Disover-prise and back to Real-prise). That cartoon with the space slug and the robot completely replaced the TOS design with the DSC one. Even PIC used the DSC look to represent the Big E.

It's all probably budget, but it really seems like they just want to retcon that the classic design from TOS never existed and that Discover-prise is the only one that ever existed before the movie refit.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Incredible Member

Strange New Worlds Will Return to Episodic Storytelling, Alex Kurtzman Confirms

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds, the upcoming Star Trek: Discovery spinoff, is looking to begin filming next year. When it does launch, it will be a return to classic Star Trek storytelling. That's according to Star Trek head Alex Kurtzman, who says the series will be structured in the episodic format of classic Star Trek: The Original Series while keeping some of the serialized elements of the new Star Trek series like Discovery. "I think Strange New Worlds, under the guidance of Henry Myers and Akiva Goldsman, is going to be a return, in a way, to TOS," Kurtzman tells Deadline. "We're going to do stand-alone episodes. There will be emotional serialization. There will be two-parters. There will be larger plot arcs, but it really is back to the model of alien of the week, planet of the week, challenge on the ship of the week with these characters pre-Kirk’s Enterprise.

"I think what people responded so much to in all three characters is this kind of relentless optimism that they have. And that they are at the young phase of their careers. Then Pike, who has experienced this extraordinary trauma, which he's famous for, that he knows how he's going to die. The idea is, how does a character who knows how he's going to die live optimistically from that point on and lead a ship? It’s a great question. I've never seen a show where a character knew that already. You have to have an inherent optimism in your world view in order to say, 'I'm going to get up every morning knowing how it is going to end for me” and still lead everybody to be the best versions of themselves."

The idea Kurtzman posits here sounds in line with what star Anson Mount discussed during the Star Trek Universe panel during Comic-Con at Home. "I think the biggest thing, obviously, was seeing my future, and when you see how it's all going to end and that it's not so pretty, what do you do with that?" said Mount, who plays Capt. Christopher Pike. "I think there's a reason that we can only see our past because we're a very neurotic species, and we wouldn't know how to comport ourselves. And so I think ultimately the question becomes, 'How do you move forward?' I think he's going to wrestle with how he can best utilize the rest of his life for the good of the world, the universe… He's not thinking about it as a team yet because he's wrestling with it himself, which I hope he's going to learn to let other people help him wrestle with it."

Will the fourth time be the charm?
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut