Page 44 of 99 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647485494 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Caught up to Episodes 3 and 4.

Episode 3 was meh. I only liked the explanation for the light creatures

Episode 4....was masterful. I haven't been on the edge of my seat for Star Trek since DS9

+ I found the Gorn were truly scary here. They kept the canon intact by not seeing the Gorn in the flesh, but that element only added more terror with this opponent.
    + I haven't been guessing what would happen in a long time. I knew something wasn't right with the crew the Enterprise rescued but the reveal was well done. It reminded me of the scene from 30 days of Night where the Vampires used the girl as bait.
    + Every crew member got a moment to shine. Pike's Speech was inspirational in a moment of desperate crisis. Each crew member from different specialties had to work together in order to survive this, but not without causalities.

I give Episode 4 a 10 out of 10. I watched this before Obi Wan and got bored with Obi Wan because this one was too good.
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 05-28-2022 at 06:55 AM.

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds
    Episode: 4
    Title: Singh is the new Burnham

Singh: Stardate 3177.3 The crew won't stop calling me "Drummer" I don't bother to correct them anymore. It's also Remembrance Day where we take time to think about all the poor red shirts this franchise has sent to their deaths.

(Hallway!)

Hemmer: Tell me about an air filter!

Uhura: It filters air?

Hemmer: Impressive

Uhura: Not really.

(The Bridge!)

Una: You're not wearing your pin.

Singh: No

Una: Why do I care about that?

Singh: Because we are both genetically modified so you have to care about everything I do.

Una: Why are we forced to share so much screen time?

Singh: Because the fans like you and they don't like me so the writers hope that making us share so much screen time will make the fans warm up to me.

Una: Is it working?

Singh: Nope, actually it's having the opposite effect and dragging your character down.

Spock: Colony's satellite has been destroyed.

Una: I'll prep a landing party everyone get your cool leather jackets....

Sing: Of course you know you're going to have to take me with you right?

Una: SIGH...

(The planet!)

Singh: definitely a skirmish here

Una: Ya' think!?

(Enterprise!)

Pike: Hey we have a cool menacing looking ship so we are going to beam everyone back up

Ortegas: They are hailing us.

Scientist lady: We don't know what happened take us with you.

Pike: 'K

Una: Are we going to be forced to hang out this entire episode?

Singh: Looks like it. Give me a sec, I have to have some ominous time with this survivor whose name is...

Fig: Fig

Singh: Like a Fig Newton? Is this just sly product placement? Nevermind. Hey the Gorn is about to attack.

(Opening Credits!)

Pike: Space. The final frontier...wait why am I saying this? Kirk says this. I was The Captain before him. Picard said it but that was a homage because he comes after Kirk. Shouldn't I have my own unique thing to say?

Singh: I'm not asleep. I was just resting my eyes!

Una: Get to the bridge!

Singh: Got it.

Una: Thank God, I thought I was going to have to spend the entire episode with her.

(Bridge!)

Singh: I know I just got here and my rank is lower and this is a crisis situation but these creatures killed people close to me which gives me the right to boss you around.

Pike: Wow, someone went to the Michael Burnham school of leadership

Singh: I graduated with honors. I'm ten seconds away from staging a mutiny

Pike: Okay everyone let's fly into that black hole

(Cargo Bay!)

Uhura: I'm awake! I was just resting my eyes.

Hemmer: Get this off me!

(Ready Room!)

Hemmer: ...and that is why the ship will blow up if I don't fix it.

M'Benga: Everything is offline. Luckily I saved my daughter to the cloud so she is okay

Pike: What!?

M'Benga: Huh!?

Pike: ....

M'Benga: .....Catch y'all later.

Pike: Does anyone know what he was talking about?

Singh: I HATE THE GORN MORE THAN MICHAEL BURNHAM HATED THE KLINGONS IN THE PILOT EPISODE OF DISCOVERY!

(Everyone leaves the meeting Pike pulls Singh aside for a talk)

Pike: How are you holding up?

Singh: RAHHHH!!!! GERRRRRRRR!! HISSSSSSS!

Pike: Cool. Glad we had this talk.

(Cargo Bay!)

Hemmer: I can't use my fingers.

Uhura: Can't you just use your other hand?

Hemmer: But then how will we build tension!?

(Bridge!)

Spock: I made a radar

Pike: Let's use that to get on top of them and drop a photon torpedo like a bomb.

(It's Works! More ships arrive!)

Spock: Now what?

Pike: Dive. Hey this was a pretty good sequence, this is a good episode once we get away from Singh and her trauma filled past.

Singh: Lower Decks are starting to buckle

Pike: Starting? That show has always sucked, right folks?

(Deck 22)

Teleporter guy: I'll save you science officer!

Science officer: No you're too important. Without you who would do the job that anyone could do! Save yourself!

(Bridge)

Singh: Telepoter guy isn't dead

Pike: Really?! I was so hoping he would die.

Spock: I believe the singularity is advancing its accumulation of substellar material

Singh: Do you ever speak in plain English?

Spock: That was plain English, you're just stupid.

Singh: I can take a shuttle to make sure the coast is clear

Pike: Good idea

Singh: C'mon Spock

Spock: Why do I have to go with you?

Singh: Because the fans like you and they don't like me so the writers hope that making us share so much screen time will make the fans warm up to me.

Spock: But that will not work. If anything it will just drag my character down.

Singh: You catch on fast!

(Shuttle!)

Singh: Want to mind melds to help me figure out the Gorn's plan?

Spock: Mind melds are sacred in my culture but if it helps end this thing so I can get away from you I'm all for it.

Singh: Who is that woman's voice I'm hearing Spock?

Spock: Someone that the audience hated so much they had to go into the future and we can never mention them. Every moment we talk about them the audience grows restless

THE AUDIENCE: IT'S TRUE!

Singh: I'm also sensing a brother named Sybok.

Spock: I never thought the day would come when I would not only have two siblings but Sybok would be the one everyone likes.

Pike: Okay, let's wrap this episode up. We are going to slingshot around a black hole and drop and drop something from the cargo bay to cover our tracks.I

Spock: Drop what?

Pike: Does it matter? Everyone was fast-forwarding past the Uhura/Hammer stuff.

(The plan works!)

Singh: Stardate 3177.9 This was a competent outing. Our continued use of the Gorn is really going to annoy people. I have no idea why we just won't admit we are a reboot. Una is getting better so I'll be back to draining the life out of her character in no time.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 05-28-2022 at 10:01 AM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

This episode also had shades of ENT's 'Sleeping Dogs' and the obvious Babylon 5 reference...
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Star Trek: Strange New Worlds
    Episode: 4
    Title: Singh is the new Burnham

Singh: Stardate 3177.3 The crew won't stop calling me "Drummer" I don't bother to correct them anymore. It's also Remembrance Day where we take time to think about all the poor red shirts this franchise has sent to their deaths.

(Hallway!)

Hemmer: Tell me about an air filter!

Uhura: It filters air?

Hemmer: Impressive

Uhura: Not really.

(The Bridge!)

Una: You're not wearing your pin.

Singh: No

Una: Why do I care about that?

Singh: Because we are both genetically modified so you have to care about everything I do.

Una: Why are we forced to share so much screen time?

Una: Is it working?

Singh: Nope, actually it's having the opposite effect and dragging your character down.

Spock: Colony's satellite has been destroyed.

Una: I'll prep a landing party everyone get your cool leather jackets....

Sing: Of course you know you're going to have to take me with you right?

Una: SIGH...

(The planet!)

Singh: definitely a skirmish here

Una: Ya' think!?

(Enterprise!)

Pike: Hey we have a cool menacing looking ship so we are going to beam everyone back up

Ortegas: They are hailing us.

Scientist lady: We don't know what happened take us with you.

Pike: 'K

Una: Are we going to be forced to hang out this entire episode?

Singh: Looks like it. Give me a sec, I have to have some ominous time with this survivor whose name is...

Fig: Fig

Singh: Like a Fig Newton? Is this just sly product placement? Nevermind. Hey the Gorn is about to attack.

(Opening Credits!)

Pike: Space. The final frontier...wait why am I saying this? Kirk says this. I was The Captain before him. Picard said it but that was a homage because he comes after Kirk. Shouldn't I have my own unique thing to say?

Singh: I'm not asleep. I was just resting my eyes!

Una: Get to the bridge!

Singh: Got it.

Una: Thank God, I thought I was going to have to spend the entire episode with her.

(Bridge!)

Singh: I know I just got here and my rank is lower and this is a crisis situation but these creatures killed people close to me which gives me the right to boss you around.

Pike: Wow, someone went to the Michael Burnham school of leadership

Singh: I graduated with honors. I'm ten seconds away from staging a mutiny

Pike: Okay everyone let's fly into that black hole

(Cargo Bay!)

Uhura: I'm awake! I was just resting my eyes.

Hemmer: Get this off me!

(Ready Room!)

Hemmer: ...and that is why the ship will blow up if I don't fix it.

M'Benga: Everything is offline. Luckily I saved my daughter to the cloud so she is okay

Pike: What!?

M'Benga: Huh!?

Pike: ....

M'Benga: .....Catch y'all later.

Pike: Does anyone know what he was talking about?

Singh: I HATE THE GORN MORE THAN MICHAEL BURNHAM HATED THE KLINGONS IN THE PILOT EPISODE OF DISCOVERY!

(Everyone leaves the meeting Pike pulls Singh aside for a talk)

Pike: How are you holding up?

Singh: RAHHHH!!!! GERRRRRRRR!! HISSSSSSS!

Pike: Cool. Glad we had this talk.

(Cargo Bay!)

Hemmer: I can't use my fingers.

Uhura: Can't you just use your other hand?

Hemmer: But then how will we build tension!?

(Bridge!)

Spock: I made a radar

Pike: Let's use that to get on top of them and drop a photon torpedo like a bomb.

(It's Works! More ships arrive!)

Spock: Now what?

Pike: Dive. Hey this was a pretty good sequence, this is a good episode once we get away from Singh and her trauma filled past.

Singh: Lower Decks are starting to buckle

Pike: Starting? That show has always sucked, right folks?

(Deck 22)

Teleporter guy: I'll save you science officer!

Science officer: No you're too important. Without you who would do the job that anyone could do! Save yourself!

(Bridge)

Singh: Telepoter guy isn't dead

Pike: Really?! I was so hoping he would die.

Spock: I believe the singularity is advancing its accumulation of substellar material

Singh: Do you ever speak in plain English?

Spock: That was plain English, you're just stupid.

Singh: I can take a shuttle to make sure the coast is clear

Pike: Good idea

Singh: C'mon Spock

Spock: Why do I have to go with you?

Spock: But that will not work. If anything it will just drag my character down.

Singh: You catch on fast!

(Shuttle!)

Singh: Want to mind melds to help me figure out the Gorn's plan?

Spock: Mind melds are sacred in my culture but if it helps end this thing so I can get away from you I'm all for it.

Singh: Who is that woman's voice I'm hearing Spock?

Spock: Someone that the audience hated so much they had to go into the future and we can never mention them. Every moment we talk about them the audience grows restless

THE AUDIENCE: IT'S TRUE!

Singh: I'm also sensing a brother named Sybok.

Spock: I never thought the day would come when I would not only have two siblings but Sybok would be the one everyone likes.

Pike: Okay, let's wrap this episode up. We are going to slingshot around a black hole and drop and drop something from the cargo bay to cover our tracks.I

Spock: Drop what?

Pike: Does it matter? Everyone was fast-forwarding past the Uhura/Hammer stuff.

(The plan works!)

Singh: Stardate 3177.9 This was a competent outing. Our continued use of the Gorn is really going to annoy people. I have no idea why we just won't admit we are a reboot. Una is getting better so I'll be back to draining the life out of her character in no time.
    I'm going to keep watching this show just so I can look forward to your recaps.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Prodigy is after Voyager, FWIW.

And part of me hopes they hand the ship to Kirk and continue the series with him. I would be down with this being a new timeline.
    I had genuinely never heard of "Prodigy" until right now. It kind of amazes me, too, how many people know about TOS, TNG and DS9, but not anything since.

It really comes down to TOS being a network show, and TNG and DS9 being syndicated, while everything since has gone to some network you have to buy or some streaming service, Paramount. I suspect the days when Star Trek will be on free television is pretty much over.

But genuinely, it seems there are masses of people who don't know anything has been done with Star Trek, outside of the movies, since DS9 or Voyager. Even when they do find out, it seems the reaction is that it's some two-bit streaming show they aren't paying for and it doesn't count.
    Power with Girl is better.

Incredible Member

I was watching the last episode. I had the awful thought. Are number one and La'an becoming Mary Sue types characters?

Plus when are we going to see some 200 years of diluted genie engineering cool abilities from La'an?

Quote Originally Posted by gwhh View Post
    I was watching the last episode. I had the awful thought. Are number one and La'an becoming Mary Sue types characters?

Plus when are we going to see some 200 years of diluted genie engineering cool abilities from La'an?
    I'm not sure about that. Are they sucking up the air so that Pike and Spock seem superfluous? Una especially should come across as hypercompetent, as she seems to be on the cusp of promotion to her own command (as evidenced by where she starts the series).
    Dark does not mean deep.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I'm not sure about that. Are they sucking up the air so that Pike and Spock seem superfluous? Una especially should come across as hypercompetent, as she seems to be on the cusp of promotion to her own command (as evidenced by where she starts the series).
    I don't think they're taking focus away, think the show has so far done a good job of giving different cast members their own focus episodes so far which is something Discovery has lacked but just about every other trek has done.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Next episode preview shows that Chapel and T'pring meet, also Pike with the green wraparound look that Kirk had in a few episodes (First designed to make him distinct from the "evil" Kirk with the gold tunic in "Enemy Within").
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by gwhh View Post

Una is a competent number one. Singh is a mini Michael Burnham.

Burnham was Spock's canon breaking adopted HUMAN sister.

Singh was Khan's canon breaking descendant who served aboard the Enterprise.

Burnham's family was supposedly all killed by Klingons and she was the only survivor.

Singh's family was supposedly all killed by Gorn and she was the only survivor.

Burnham had an very close relationship to Captain Georgiou.

Singh is like a daughter to Una and they always seem to be together.

Since Singh is a mini Burnham expect her brother to show up as an officer of the Gorn. It turns out he didn't die because he somehow earned their respect and became one of them. Now Singh is forced to deal with the dramatic fallout. I'm only half joking.

It also wouldn't surprise me if Una was killed or promoted off the show. Singh has been Number 1 twice since this series started and she is like a daughter to her.. I can easily see her giving Singh the "It's your time now!" speech.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 05-30-2022 at 07:49 AM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Next episode preview shows that Chapel and T'pring meet, also Pike with the green wraparound look that Kirk had in a few episodes (First designed to make him distinct from the "evil" Kirk with the gold tunic in "Enemy Within").
    Will Chapel go full Mikasa? Tune in and find out!
    Dark does not mean deep.

BANNED

Really enjoyed the Gorn episode.
    They managed to make a bad puppet looking race into a geniune creepy threat.

There's been some attempts to update them. Enterprise had a CG version that had an OK design but was kind of let down by the iffy CG.

Star Trek '09 had a Gorn mask that was meant for the Rura Penthe sequence but it kind of lost the "Dinosaur" look of the creature. They were also in the video game, which pretty much went in the opposite direction.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Is Lower Decks not post-Voyager as well?
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Is Lower Decks not post-Voyager as well?
    post Nemesis