Page 46 of 99 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849505696 ... LastLast

Funny thing about Chapel's slap-she does it again in A PRIVATE LITTLE WAR (along with M'benga later on), although it's to get Spock to wake up or something.

Bit of an odd nitpic but anybody else get a bit distracted by the bumps on Jess Bush's arms during her conversation with Spock?

Also given the show's plots being sort of similar to other Treks but with a modern twists, wonder if we're eventually getting a corrupt Starfleet captain/admiral like pretty much every other show.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Incredible Member

Since both Number One & Singh are both genetically enhanced. Who do you want to be the physically stronger and faster one? How often should they show off those moves?

I should be more specific here. Singh not been enhanced before or after she was born. Just being his descendant. Means her genetic code is superior to normal humans. Even if it’s been breed with normal humans for 200 years.
    Last edited by gwhh; 06-04-2022 at 09:10 PM.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Funny thing about Chapel's slap-she does it again in A PRIVATE LITTLE WAR (along with M'benga later on), although it's to get Spock to wake up or something.

Bit of an odd nitpic but anybody else get a bit distracted by the bumps on Jess Bush's arms during her conversation with Spock?

Also given the show's plots being sort of similar to other Treks but with a modern twists, wonder if we're eventually getting a corrupt Starfleet captain/admiral like pretty much every other show.
    I definitely noticed them, I thought they might have been some kind of plot point set up but I checked after and she has them in real life so it's probably not something that will be actually brought up.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by gwhh View Post
    Since both Number One & Singh are both genetically enhanced. Who do you want to be the physically stronger and faster one? How often should they show off those moves?
    I got the impression that Singh was *not* herself augmented, just descended from an infamous creator of genetic augments.

That said, it would totally make sense that her notorious ancestor would have genetically enhanced his own descendants...

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I got the impression that Singh was *not* herself augmented, just descended from an infamous creator of genetic augments.

That said, it would totally make sense that her notorious ancestor would have genetically enhanced his own descendants...
    Yes. Seeing the fight between Number One and Singh, I definitely get the impression Singh is just Khan's descendant but not enhanced. The way she talks also seems to indicate it.
    Power with Girl is better.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    When that couple who's been buying your drinks on Risia gives you that look.
    Sounds perfect.

Incredible Member

I should be more specific. Singh not been enhanced before or after she was born. Just being his descendant. Means her genetic code is superior to normal humans.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Yes. Seeing the fight between Number One and Singh, I definitely get the impression Singh is just Khan's descendant but not enhanced. The way she talks also seems to indicate it.

Quote Originally Posted by gwhh View Post
    I should be more specific. Singh not been enhanced before or after she was born. Just being his descendant. Means her genetic code is superior to normal humans.
    Even the most beneficial genes of an ancestor can be bred out of a descendant 200 years later. If Khan's progeny mated with nothing but regular humans for 200 years, I doubt La'An has any real advantages.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

I liked this episode better than most out of this season, but I wish they could have done more with the premise of Spock and T'pring switching bodies, both of the instances where they had to pretend to be each other were cut short by someone else and they didn't play out the comedic effect as much as I had hoped. If the intention is a lighthearted episode they should use the concept to its extent; although they did explore the relationship of Spock and T'pring and I got a better sense of their dynamic. The R'ongovians were neat and Chapel is great as always

Jus t watched "Momento Mori".

On the negative side, Federation starships in that era had a serious tendency to not report things to Starfleet. For instance, they forgot to report encountering the Gorn and that the Federation had already encountered the Gorn. Ten years later, Kirk's crew has never heard of the Gorn until their encounter nor has the Federation.

That aside, having the enemy in this episode be the Gorn seems pure namedropping of a species from TOS that they know has name recognition. It could have as easily been some species we never heard of.

Although the show continues to be an alternate reality, not truly a prequel, I liked it. It was a bit like "Balance of Terror" with the strategic aspect combined with the character interaction.
    Power with Girl is better.

Incredible Member

True, but if read the specs on the original Augments. Even after 200 years of interbreeding with regular humans. Should leave them with a very noticeable mental/physical improvement over regular humans. I am just going with eveything pre 2009. Nothing said about them after 2009 in my opinion is valid in the movies.

I also think if you strictly stick to physical improvements and not mental improvements, generic physical improvements are not a big thing in the federation.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Augment

I wonder how strong number one is, or if she had any mental upgrades? She carried that wounded crew member with no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Even the most beneficial genes of an ancestor can be bred out of a descendant 200 years later. If Khan's progeny mated with nothing but regular humans for 200 years, I doubt La'An has any real advantages.
    Last edited by gwhh; 06-06-2022 at 06:55 PM.

Today's episode was quite the 180 from last week. A kind of twisted take on "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one".
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 06-09-2022 at 11:14 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

^^^^
    That thought occurred to me as well. I also kept trying to think of a modern or historical touchstone this was going for. Best I could come up with is how revered a young reincarnated Buddha child is? If I even have that right.

M'Benga's daughter looks to likely be getting a treatment which should mean we see more of her.

It appeared they were setting up Majellus as a possible backdoor for healing Chris after his accident. I guess they still could. Not sure he would want their help now given what he knows.
    The Majellans are now another race with an off shoot from the home world that has their own view on how their society and culture should go. They are in there with Vulans/Romulans and Andorians/Aenear.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Boisterously Confused

One minor complaint about this series: Vulcans shouldn't be that recognizably affectionate in human terms. TOS (mainly under DC Fontana) spent a lot of effort building some of Trek's best episodes about how different Vulcans are, including "Amok Time."

One other minor complaint: TOS sold the idea USS Enterprise was a spaceship by sets that looked like they could have been inside a submarine. Some of the cabins in SNW's Enterprise look like $1100-a-day Mountain Lodges.

I swallow it by going with the idea this is an alt-reality-Trek-verse. Which I'm enjoying a great deal.
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 06-09-2022 at 01:37 PM.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    ^^^^
    That thought occurred to me as well. I also kept trying to think of a modern or historical touchstone this was going for. Best I could come up with is how revered a young reincarnated Buddha child is? If I even have that right.

M'Benga's daughter looks to likely be getting a treatment which should mean we see more of her.

It appeared they were setting up Majellus as a possible backdoor for healing Chris after his accident. I guess they still could. Not sure he would want their help now given what he knows.
    The Majellans are now another race with an off shoot from the home world that has their own view on how their society and culture should go. They are in there with Vulans/Romulans and Andorians/Aenear.
    Yeah, I kept trying to rack my brain for what kind of real world polotics the morality play was trying to refrence because it really gave off that classic trek vibe...but I think it was a more nebulous message on the differences in culture than anything truly specific.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!