Page 5 of 99 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Will the fourth time be the charm?
    I sincerely hope so. The third time is by far, IMO, the worst of all. I've never given up on a Star Trek series but I'm close to tapping out on Lower Decks after episode two.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I am excited to see this series. Anson Mount as Pike was great. He was rarely that "intense" lead character; he has a laid back, almost laconic element - like a western gunslinger that knows he can outshoot anybody, and isn't out to impress. He bounced off Sonequa Martin-Green really well, so it'll be a shame that Discovery won't have him in their next series.

And Peck's Spock was great too. But I prefer the beard.

I do hope they aren't slavish to the canon of the original series - no need to eventually introduce Kirk, or McCoy, or whoever. Maybe Pike stays the Captain for the duration of the show. Do new stories, introduce new characters - Pike and Spock and the ship are familiarity enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ellingham View Post
    I do hope they aren't slavish to the canon of the original series - no need to eventually introduce Kirk, or McCoy, or whoever. Maybe Pike stays the Captain for the duration of the show. Do new stories, introduce new characters - Pike and Spock and the ship are familiarity enough.
    Actually, being slavish to TOS would probably be best served by avoiding the original show's characters and just letting this one be its own thing. On the other hand, I wouldn't worry too much; the current powers that be have been playing very fast and loose with canon and continuity, so they probably will continue to do so going forward.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Does CBS have the budget to do Strange New Worlds? Picard looked cheap in some scenes. It looks as if all the money is spent on Discovery, a series we don't know if or not draws huge viewership.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentis View Post
    Does CBS have the budget to do Strange New Worlds? Picard looked cheap in some scenes. It looks as if all the money is spent on Discovery, a series we don't know if or not draws huge viewership.
    Seeing as how they commissioned it, yes, yes they do.

Same with Discovery. No network is going to pour money into a sinking project that gets them a loss, and Discovery is the flagship show of the service. (Plus, the definition of "huge." The audience is at least enough for CBS to continue All Access, even if audience numbers are smaller than expected)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Seeing as how they commissioned it, yes, yes they do.

Same with Discovery. No network is going to pour money into a sinking project that gets them a loss, and Discovery is the flagship show of the service. (Plus, the definition of "huge." The audience is at least enough for CBS to continue All Access, even if audience numbers are smaller than expected)
    Then why won't CBS release the viewership numbers of Discovery and Picard?

Then why won't CBS release the viewership numbers of Discovery and Picard?
    Why would they?
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Why would they?
    The ratings could be low and CBS does not want fans to know.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    When you say "sci-fi" to the current crew running Trek it's like they immediately think "GIANT SPACE BATTLE!" They had a truly crazy space battle with fighters pouring out of Federation ships like a Star Wars movie complete with R2D2 like units. They took Picard and crammed a giant space battle into it and had Seven Of Nine shooting people in a bar with a rifle in each hand.

It just feels like they think that Trek is first and foremost an action franchise when it's an adventure one...
    I'm with you in that. Personally, I blame TWK. It's probably still perceived by producers as the most successful Trek story ever put to screen, and beginning with S3 of TNG, what they seem to have been chasing ever since.

That said, I'm really looking forward to SNW. Pike has always been my favorite, and I loved AM's depiction of him.

ETA: The profusion of space battle stories bugs me, but the repair drones don't. That we never saw them in the previous series doesn't strictly preclude their existence. The fighter drones ,don't annoy me, but canon episodes led me to assume starship weapons accuracy and shieldsrendered fighter tactics useless.
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 08-29-2020 at 06:46 AM.

The ratings could be low and CBS does not want fans to know.
    If the ratings were low and it was putting them deeper and deeper in the red, they would cancel it. Money > pride. If the choice came down to sacrifice the company or sacrifice Trek, they would pick Trek in a heartbeat (and Trek is no stranger to getting cut off by major companies).

It's not as if CBS (or any network, for that matter) has money to burn. Plus, CBS has to pull off that trick of creating demand *for* their supply. All Access folding would be a very good indicator (if not overkill) that Discovery was failing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    If the ratings were low and it was putting them deeper and deeper in the red, they would cancel it. Money > pride. If the choice came down to sacrifice the company or sacrifice Trek, they would pick Trek in a heartbeat (and Trek is no stranger to getting cut off by major companies).

It's not as if CBS (or any network, for that matter) has money to burn. Plus, CBS has to pull off that trick of creating demand *for* their supply. All Access folding would be a very good indicator (if not overkill) that Discovery was failing.
    A Star Trek show trying hard to be Star Wars must not be rewarding. Disney puts outs the ratings for The Mandalorian. CBS not doing so with Discovery is fishy. If Star Trek discovery is getting 5 million viewers a week, I would be surprised.

A Star Trek show trying hard to be Star Wars must not be rewarding. Disney puts outs the ratings for The Mandalorian. CBS not doing so with Discovery is fishy. If Star Trek discovery is getting 5 million viewers a week, I would be surprised.
    The fact that it's getting a third season tells us that it's doing, at worst, just fine. (Also, Disney Star Wars projects have nothing to do with CBS Star Trek ones).
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    When you say "sci-fi" to the current crew running Trek it's like they immediately think "GIANT SPACE BATTLE!" They had a truly crazy space battle with fighters pouring out of Federation ships like a Star Wars movie complete with R2D2 like units. They took Picard and crammed a giant space battle into it and had Seven Of Nine shooting people in a bar with a rifle in each hand.

It just feels like they think that Trek is first and foremost an action franchise when it's an adventure one.

And what is strange is every now and then they manage to do an actual Trek episode. "New Eden" was that kind of episode. So is it pressure from the network to be more mainstream? Are they afraid that the audience's attention spans are too short for those kinds of stories?
    A lot of the most popular Trek stories have been fairly space battle heavy. Apart from a good chunk of the movies, there was Best of Both Worlds, The Dominion War storyline in DS9 even had fighter craft.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

It's always a delight to come into a Star Trek thread expecting for potentially some more news but instead seeing people having meltdowns about "Not my Star Trek!"

Christ. When being obnoxious is a fanbases only character trait...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremi View Post
    It's always a delight to come into a Star Trek thread expecting for potentially some more news but instead seeing people having meltdowns about "Not my Star Trek!"

Christ. When being obnoxious is a fanbases only character trait...
    And Trekkies are generally more sane then Star Wars "fans"...
    (All-New Wolverine #4)