Page 52 of 99 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Caught up myself because I didn't have much of a desire to watch last week's episode. I never liked those type of episodes and I don't think I ever will. Even though it had closure with M'Benga's Daughter, the resolution didn't feel satisfying. If you haven't seen it, I'm doing you a favor right now by writing this part:

"Skip it. M'Benga's Daughter gets better because she is turned semi-omnipotent and becomes a roommate for another semi-omnipotent being."

If I had say one good thing about that episode is that Christina Chong is a babe

This week's episode? Man, Hemmer. Even though his appearances were brief, I still wanted to watch more of this character. Learn more. He was presented so well. Such a waste. Why couldn't it have been Ortega instead? She has far more screen time but the more I hear her speak, the more I want her to just go away.

Interesting design on the Gorn. 1/3 Predator/Alien/Geico Gecko
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 07-01-2022 at 11:39 AM.

We all knew where this episode was going the minute the ship was needed elsewhere urgently and landing parties went to explore a crashed ship.
    >Pity we didn't get to see a reimagined K-7.
    >The Peregrine was a slightly smaller and faster version of the Constitution class? Why not just feature another Constitution class?
    >The Gorn are now xenomorph-Magog hybrids with Predator vision. OK. And fast.
    >The failures of common sense necessary to make a lot of this episode's plot occur were staggering. NOT forcefully questioning the conveniently surviving human girl. NOT putting the girl and Blue Boy in the brig or at least behind a medical force field. La'An constantly spouting new and vital information about the Gorn which you'd think she would have told Starfleet long ago. La'An NOT telling Hemmer and everyone else that the venom is how the Gorn reproduce, thus NOT giving Hemmer the chance to be put in stasis or even in the transport buffer. NOT arming every member of the away team. NOT making every part of the ship freezing except the cargo bay, waiting a bit, then transporting everything in the cargo bay outside or just scrambling the matter.
    >Killing Hemmer was a huge mistake. He was one of the coolest new characters, not to mention it was wonderful differently-abled representation. It should have been La'An. I guess the door is now open for Scotty to be chief engineer next season.
    >What exactly is going to happen next episode? Hemmer and La'An and Uhura are gone. Will we get more Spock or more Pike pondering his future.
    >I'd love an episode where someone is targeting the young people Pike's sacrifice will ultimately save.
    >We continue to see Spock and Chapel get closer and closer. Poor Christine.

I was a bit disappointed in this episode obviously but it's still light years better than DIS and PIC.
    Can the show stick the landing next episode? Will we finally get a season-ending cliffhanger?!
    Last edited by nx01a; 07-01-2022 at 05:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Strange New Worlds has the same problem that Discovery has.

No faith in itself.

This was supposed to be "Pike's" Enterprise, but....

They couldn't resist using Uhura.

A descendant of Khan is serving aboard the Enterprise

They killed their only interesting new character in Hemmer...to give inspiration to a character that NEVER NEEDED IT in Uhura

They have ALREADY casted a new Kirk

They are already using the Gorn...and turning them into the xenomorphs from the movie Alien

They are already mentioning Sybok
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Another very awkward episode in this awkward season. I'm really curious how these episodes were considered acceptable for the first season of a show. Almost every episode has been something you'd expect to see much further down the line, and now they've killed off a character who has barely appeared (and the only non human crew member) only 9 episodes in, and give it all this emotional weight like I'm supposed to care? I have absolutely no clue who he is aside from a couple scenes in some episodes. The moment of his death did not resonate with me at all, and it makes me wonder if it was even supposed to? Were they going for something with this or did the actor just have to go?

The exit of two characters, one in the primary cast, was messy, and it's a bummer that this show won't take the time to let us get to know any of the characters. I'm so disconnected from this whole thing because there haven't been nearly enough episodes to help us get to know anybody.

It's funny, totally different type of series but I've been watching From, and I'm only 6 episodes in but so far I understand who every character is, their motivations, their personalities, some backstory, to the point where I can anticipate their actions and reactions. It's obviously a more character driven type of series but it just goes to show how actually caring about your characters and their environment helps a story so much. This show just needs better writing, this cast is massive and we barely know anyone, that's pretty lame.
    Last edited by James Cameron; 07-02-2022 at 08:36 AM.
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    We all knew where this episode was going the minute the ship was needed elsewhere urgently and landing parties went to explore a crashed ship.
    >Pity we didn't get to see a reimagined K-7.
    >The Peregrine was a slightly smaller and faster version of the Constitution class? Why not just feature another Constitution class?
    >The Gorn are now xenomorph-Magog hybrids with Predator vision. OK. And fast.
    >The failures of common sense necessary to make a lot of this episode's plot occur were staggering. NOT forcefully questioning the conveniently surviving human girl. NOT putting the girl and Blue Boy in the brig or at least behind a medical force field. La'An constantly spouting new and vital information about the Gorn which you'd think she would have told Starfleet long ago. La'An NOT telling Hemmer and everyone else that the venom is how the Gorn reproduce, thus NOT giving Hemmer the chance to be put in stasis or even in the transport buffer. NOT arming every member of the away team. NOT making every part of the ship freezing except the cargo bay, waiting a bit, then transporting everything in the cargo bay outside or just scrambling the matter.
    >Killing Hemmer was a huge mistake. He was one of the coolest new characters, not to mention it was wonderful differently-abled representation. It should have been La'An. I guess the door is now open for Scotty to be chief engineer next season.
    >What exactly is going to happen next episode? Hemmer and La'An and Uhura are gone. Will we get more Spock or more Pike pondering his future.
    >I'd love an episode where someone is targeting the young people Pike's sacrifice will ultimately save.
    >We continue to see Spock and Chapel get closer and closer. Poor Christine.

I was a bit disappointed in this episode obviously but it's still light years better than DIS and PIC.
    Can the show stick the landing next episode? Will we finally get a season-ending cliffhanger?!

If the previews for the next episode are any indication, some of your speculation about Pike and his future/cadets might be spot on.

As for the Gorn, it's kind of unclear how these guys are raised normally but we do know they're intelligent to use starships/language etc. These were mainly kind of 'feral' at this point. Maybe they also grow to be much slower hence the TOS version....
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    If the previews for the next episode are any indication, some of your speculation about Pike and his future/cadets might be spot on.

As for the Gorn, it's kind of unclear how these guys are raised normally but we do know they're intelligent to use starships/language etc. These were mainly kind of 'feral' at this point. Maybe they also grow to be much slower hence the TOS version....
    We still don't know if these Gorn are representative of all Gorn, or just some kooky splinter faction of Gorn that think hosting their young in other species and having them fight to the death is somehow traditional or whatever, and later might meet Gorn who are a bit less aggro to other species, and find these brooders to be bad for their reputation...

Niffleheim

Those Baby Gorns looked horrifically cute What a waste of character for poor Hemmer just to give Uhura a reason to stay. I hope he survived somehow.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

The Gorn don't seem to make sense as a sentient species to me, like, I don't see how they can exist as a galactic civilization. You kill an entire ship full of people just to produce one Gorn? How would this Gorn child even escape the ship? Also, the Gorn are all about survival of the fittest, yet, they can reproduce asexual...From my understanding, asexual reproduction just produces a copy of oneself, there is no "evolution" going on here. They could obviously reproduce both ways, but I find it difficult to believe that this version of the 'Gorn' could actually exist (Not the first time in Star Trek this has happened either, as the Klingons during the TNG era speced too much into 'warrior culture' to have us believe that they could be a competitive peer to the Federation).

Also, really not a fan of the death here. He should at least gotten an episode for himself. I hope they don't bring Scotty aboard, I was actually disapointed Uhura was in the series (I didn't watch any of the promotional material, so I didn't know).
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Next episode kind of looks a bit like Balance of Terror judging by the previews, which seem to feature a big fireball torpedo similar to the Romulan Plasma one. Then again, it could be misleading-remember everybody thought the energy web from the pirate episode was the Tholians?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    The Gorn don't seem to make sense as a sentient species to me, like, I don't see how they can exist as a galactic civilization. You kill an entire ship full of people just to produce one Gorn? How would this Gorn child even escape the ship? Also, the Gorn are all about survival of the fittest, yet, they can reproduce asexual...From my understanding, asexual reproduction just produces a copy of oneself, there is no "evolution" going on here. They could obviously reproduce both ways, but I find it difficult to believe that this version of the 'Gorn' could actually exist (Not the first time in Star Trek this has happened either, as the Klingons during the TNG era speced too much into 'warrior culture' to have us believe that they could be a competitive peer to the Federation).

Also, really not a fan of the death here. He should at least gotten an episode for himself. I hope they don't bring Scotty aboard, I was actually disapointed Uhura was in the series (I didn't watch any of the promotional material, so I didn't know).
    Yes they should have created a new species for this episode if you want to do xenomorphs, then do them. The Gorn were just aggressive space lizards.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Yeah, I didn't care for this homage to alien at all, definitely the weakest episode so far. And killing Hemmer off? That just feels like shooting yourself in the foot.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Just wanted to add that I, like a lot of people I suspect, wanted to have an Andoran cast member for a while. They had an incredibly strong showing in Enterprise and visually, even in TOS, they had a strong look and there was an Andoran Second-in-command in that one episode TAS where Spock gets wiped away from the timeline that was pretty cool as well.

I'm just genuinely disappointed the show, which I have been enjoying and will likely continue too, killed off an interesting character.
    Last edited by Pinsir; 07-05-2022 at 10:09 AM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Maybe they could pull pull a Georgiou and bring him back as a clone or doppelganger.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Maybe they could pull pull a Georgiou and bring him back as a clone or doppelganger.
    I really hope not.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

What about Hemmers tragically forgotten about twin brother...who is also an engineering genius?

He and Spock can then have a storyline about why their parents forbid them to engage and form bonds with siblings.

I think that is the ticket Lassie! ;-)
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime