Page 53 of 99 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Maybe they could pull pull a Georgiou and bring him back as a clone or doppelganger.
    Then what would be the point?

Why did they kill him? I could count on two hands the number of scenes he appeared in, and on one the number of his scenes that were meaningful or even memorable. He was barely a character. If his death is not meant to serve some ultimate purpose that will be revealed later, the only explanation is that the actor had to leave the show. Something that permanent, with that much emotional weight, for someone we have barely seen, had to be done intentionally and isn't something that would be so quickly reversed like that.
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Think the death was probably meant to convince Uhura to stay in starfleet.

Interesting thing is that like TNG season one, it seems the Pike Enterprise has a revolving door of chief engineers, although two of them are novel-only. Some are wondering if Scotty, like Uhura and Chapel, also came on before Kirk....
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Didn't Scotty join after Kirk took over?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Didn't Scotty join after Kirk took over?
    Depends on who is writing. In the novels I think Scotty was already there when Kirk first takes command.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Boisterously Confused

Out of curiosity, anybody know what CBS' announcement about Romijn on The Love Boat reality show means for Number One?

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Out of curiosity, anybody know what CBS' announcement about Romijn on The Love Boat reality show means for Number One?
    Most likely nothing. A 10-episode series doesn't demand a year of work, and with season 2 already wrapped she's taking on other jobs.
    They/Them

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Just wanted to add that I, like a lot of people I suspect, wanted to have an Andoran cast member for a while. They had an incredibly strong showing in Enterprise and visually, even in TOS, they had a strong look and there was an Andoran Second-in-command in that one episode TAS where Spock gets wiped away from the timeline that was pretty cool as well.
    Given how they seem to be a founding Federation race, like Humans, Vulcans and Tellarites, I always thought it was the makeup that kept them off the shows, for the most part. (Heavy 'creature' makeup tends to cause skin conditions, I've heard, and is unpopular long-term.)

I do wish we'd seen more of them on the crew, even if only in background shots. Same with Tellarites, for that matter. We've seen multiple Vulcan crewmembers, from front-runners like Spock and T'Pol, to background characters like Dr. Selar, on Next Generation, and a *passle* of Humans, but technically not even one Andorian, since Hemmer was an Aenar (a subspecies, AFAIK), and the only Tellarite crewman I recall is the animated one in Prodigy.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    Then what would be the point?

Why did they kill him? I could count on two hands the number of scenes he appeared in, and on one the number of his scenes that were meaningful or even memorable. He was barely a character. If his death is not meant to serve some ultimate purpose that will be revealed later, the only explanation is that the actor had to leave the show. Something that permanent, with that much emotional weight, for someone we have barely seen, had to be done intentionally and isn't something that would be so quickly reversed like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Think the death was probably meant to convince Uhura to stay in starfleet.
    This. How was that not obvious?
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

There's a new clip from the next episode. Unless there's some reset button at the end or Spock & Uhura are sworn to secrecy (Like Pike and co. were about Discovery and it's drive) this episode is really going to conflict with TOS continuity. Although some rumors say this might be intentional.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 07-06-2022 at 01:59 PM.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    Most likely nothing. A 10-episode series doesn't demand a year of work, and with season 2 already wrapped she's taking on other jobs.
    Makes me feel a bit better

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    This. How was that not obvious?
    Because they've barely spent any time together. They were certainly starting to grow close but nothing led me to believe they were close enough of friends to warrant how upset she was when he died, or her making some big career choice like that because of it. I mean, maybe, but with how underdeveloped everyone is, I didn't feel the impact of it at all.
    They/Them

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Her training rotation with him was impactful.
    She referred to him as a father figure.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Her training rotation with him was impactful.
    She referred to him as a father figure.
    How was it impactful?
    Referring to someone as a father figure doesn't mean anything, it has to be earned. Show don't tell. It was completely unbelievable to me
    They/Them

So latest episode was basically Tapestry but the future, and also seems to answer a few questions, why a certain character announced for season 2 (but showing up here) was already wearing captain rank; and also why Rebecca has time to film The Love Boat.

Also, although it's an alternate future, looks like the Kelvin still exists in the prime TOS timeline although in this universe it probably didn't do anything noteworthy. Would be cool if they could ask Hemsworth to cameo as an older, living George Kirk....
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 07-07-2022 at 09:45 AM.

The first ten episodes were better than the first ten episodes of Next Gen or DS9, better than the last two seasons of Discovery, and better than any ten episodes of Enterprise.