Page 55 of 99 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast

Thing with Sam and his family may be that families (apart from occasional visits or official business like with Spock's parents) are not normally allowed on starships until TNG's era.

As for the more casual (but important) conversation while eating, I think we had a fair amount of that in TOS with Kirk and McCoy in particular, and sometimes in TNG and it's spinoffs with Ten Forward/Quark's Bar/Neelix's kitchen etc. pretty sure Archer or Tucker sometimes cooked up some Earth things on occasion too.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    This bolster the theory that you're supposed to mentally superimpose the SNW Enterprise on top of the OS Enterprise when you watch the show.
    Assassinate Putin!

Incredible Member

Finale was OK. I think "All Those Who Wander" would have been a stronger way to end the season, though.

Not sure why Ortegas got put into the Stiles role of being suspicious of Spock. Surely, thry coudl have had ensign what's-her-name next to her doing that.

It may have been an accident of convergent writing, but the cliffhanger is the exact same thing they recently did on Lower Decks. That detracts from it.

Lore-wise, this ep was in an odd space in that it's heavily tied to DISCO season 2 with eveything regarding Pike, while also quietly ignoring DISCO s1 with everything regarding the cloaking device.

In hindsight, I wonder if they should have picked a different TOS story to revisit. "Arena" might have worked well narratively, especially coming right after Hemmer's death. In fairness, Balance of Terror in one of my favorite Trek episodes, so maybe a less good remake of it in particular just won't appeal to me.

I'm not sold on this Kirk. We don't need a Shatner impression, thats turn it into a poof. But this guy doesn't project an air of confidence.

Pike being so reluctant to attack a ship that just committed a major attack against the Federatuon didn't really feel plauisble to me. It's not like Pike was reluctant to fire on the attacking Gorn ships earlier in the season. Hell, he personally fired at Gorn infants last episode! Vicious little monsters that mauled people, sure, but he knew they just hatched and it didn't cause him hesitate.

I really liked the design of the Praetor's ship. I'd like to see it in action again, though I'm not sure thata really an iption outside of another time travel story.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    IGN gave this season a 10 and though I'm not sure if its that great, I do think it's a pretty good and one of the best seasons of modern television I've seen since Doom Patrol.
    10 is a bit much. It's not a perfect season of television, that's extremely rare.

But it is easily the best first season any Trek series has had in my lifetime, which goes back to TNG. Even if I handpicked the best 10 eps from each other first season, I think SNW beats it on average.

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    Then what would be the point?

Why did they kill him? I could count on two hands the number of scenes he appeared in, and on one the number of his scenes that were meaningful or even memorable. He was barely a character. If his death is not meant to serve some ultimate purpose that will be revealed later, the only explanation is that the actor had to leave the show. Something that permanent, with that much emotional weight, for someone we have barely seen, had to be done intentionally and isn't something that would be so quickly reversed like that.
    I wonder if it's a case where the actor was never interested in being a regular when it requires multuple hours in makeup everyday. Or production didn't want the hassle of having to do that with a main cast member.
    Last edited by Jared; 07-17-2022 at 09:34 AM.

Gabriel Lorca is rumored to return. He would be the prime universe version, not the Mirror Universe one. Since the Discovery is in the 32nd Century, Strange New Worlds is his likely destination if he comes back.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    Gabriel Lorca is rumored to return. He would be the prime universe version, not the Mirror Universe one. Since the Discovery is in the 32nd Century, Strange New Worlds is his likely destination if he comes back.
    Wasn't his Prime version dead?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Never said. All we know for sure is that he and Mirror Lorca switched places via transporter.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Never said. All we know for sure is that he and Mirror Lorca switched places via transporter.
    I was positing the same thought. That is a Disco S1 episode reveal. I'm now curious to hear the line but don't have time to scour the episodes.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post

I wonder if it's a case where the actor was never interested in being a regular when it requires multuple hours in makeup everyday. Or production didn't want the hassle of having to do that with a main cast member.

Regarding Hemmer, the actor I discovered is also blind. That might have been a factor.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I was positing the same thought. That is a Disco S1 episode reveal. I'm now curious to hear the line but don't have time to scour the episodes.
    Somewhere, I got impression that Mirror Lorca whacked Prime Lorca, but I can't be sure if I'm vaguely remembering something from the show, or inaccurately remembering speculatation on these forums.

Or got switched and didn't last long in the Mirror Universe.

Incredible Member

According to this article, he’s still stuck in the MU

What Happened to the Real Gabriel Lorca?

I'm kind of wondering if there'll be a retcon that Captain Kirk wound up with command of the Enterprise because of Pike's accident. The dialogue seemed to infer this a bit in the last episode, although part of that's due to the alternate timeline, but I was always under the impression that Pike got in the accident after he switched command, and went on to perhaps-like Kirk by the time of TWOK and to a degree Picard in season 2 of Picard-decided to become more of a teacher, as the ship he's on is a training vessel. Or maybe Pike just assumes that's how it happens.

I guess we might see what happens as the regular timeline Kirk is supposed to be in season 2, and maybe Pike is perhaps promoted to fleet captain (Maybe for a showdown with the Klingons as rumored? Anaxar?) .

Kind of wonder though, is there anything that officially states that there wasn't an interim captain between Pike and Kirk? Una maybe?