Page 66 of 99 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768697076 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    According to interviews Kirk and Spock will meet for the first time this season, kind of interested in how that will turn out. In WHERE NO ONE HAS GONE BEFORE they were already working together but their friendship didn't really form until later in season one of TOS.
    It might be good contrast to the Kelvinverse movies and general pop culture image, if they actualy start out professionaly distant. Like they clearly have two distinctly different viewpoints and openly express their disagreement but are too professional to be openly become hostile or shout.

Maybe even end their first encounter with both expressing relief at no longer having to work together and being doubtfull about having to do so again. So the fans can have a big "oh if only they know" moment and look forward to their next encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    It might be good contrast to the Kelvinverse movies and general pop culture image, if they actualy start out professionaly distant. Like they clearly have two distinctly different viewpoints and openly express their disagreement but are too professional to be openly become hostile or shout.

Maybe even end their first encounter with both expressing relief at no longer having to work together and being doubtfull about having to do so again. So the fans can have a big "oh if only they know" moment and look forward to their next encounter.
    Does Spock outrank Kirk at this point? That would be a fun, twist, too.

S: "I recommend he never captains a ship, sir. The shuttle craft he took was destroyed. He doesn't follow orders."

K: "But was the mission successful?"

S: "That is irrelevant-"

K: "-Well we can argue the details but everyone is safe Mister Spock. Maybe we shouldn't work together again, Captain Pike."

S: "That would only be logical, Captain Pike."

*Pike grins, credits roll while a TOS stab plays "
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 06-12-2023 at 04:06 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

La'an's been keeping busy! And Spock's first command too!

I do so love this show. First episode of season two was fun...and let Ethan Peck shine. Also nice little tribute to Nichelle Nichols at the end.
    Keep your hands to yourself, leave other people's things alone, and be kind to one another.

So could Una and Pike's mystery ex-friend be Yeoman Colt?

So Chapel is considering going on an Archaeological expedition on Vulcan? Seems like a very good chance for her to meet her future professor, and then fiancee Roger Korby, who in TOS Spock describes "as the Pasteur of archaeological medicine."

The enemy Federation ship is identified as "Crossfield Class" which is the same as Discovery and the Glenn, but this a variant that has no secondary hull, the "red bulb" warp nacelles like the Enterprise and a configuration that's pretty similar to Miranda, Nebula, Centaur etc. with the engines under the primary and what seems to be a weapons pod on top. The saucer looks very similar though.

So I'm guessing that the Discovery/Gleen were either modified Crossfields for the Spore Drive, or the other way around, that this Crossfield is meant to run with just your standard warp engines.

Since Lathanites are immortal and have lived undetected among humankind for centuries, could Flint from TOS be one? (Maybe they're related El-Aurians as well).

Think La'an's opening scene was kind of an intentional nod to the bar scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark. Might be a little tip of the hat to a fellow/former Paramount series.

Though the hypospay stimulant giving M'Benga and Chapel magical fighting powers was a bit cliche.

The Klingons are back to their 80's looks although their manner seems a bit closer to TOS than TNG.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 06-15-2023 at 11:34 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I am definitely glad the Klingons are back to a more classic look. When a look becomes that iconic you can't just change it for changes sake.

Thinking of the gun coming out of the Klingon ship got me thinking-since these and the TOS Klingon ships both fire lasers from those areas (Most of the time we see D7/K'tingas later on, they mainly use the torpedo tubes, probably in part due to TMP's iconic look) what I and a lot of other fans thought were warp nacelles really just big cannons all along?

I mean, the position of the BOP's guns is very similar as well (although more obviously guns) and it's kind of obvious, especially in Star Trek IV, that it's a warp vessel too but doesn't have any nacelles either.

Spock grappling with his re-invigorated emotions just in time to be the central focus of a premier episode with him in command? With him all hot and bothered by Nurse Chapel? Sounds like a recipe for fun!

Fitting for an episode re-introducing the Klingons to also explore the aftermath of the war and it's effect on the cast, particularly M'Benga. Seems like he's been carrying more than just the fate of his daughter with him. And also fitting in a nepisode centered around an ironically joint mutual attempt by humans and Klingons to re-instigate the war.

Spock is only in command for literally a day and already goes rogue and steals the Enterprise. I guess he's living up to being the Captain.

With some of the main cast gone Mitchell almost gets bumped up to main character status to the point of appearing during a briefing moment like she's an important character. Will this continue once Pike and Una come back? Probably not.

I guess we have a new Chief Engineer! And they're also an alien, even if far more humanoid. I guess every Star Trek show needs their quirky, eccentric, type. Pelia feels like Scotty and Chekov by way of Guinan. I'm curious if they'll explore her history with Spock's mother (coming out, huh?) and how Pike and Una will react to her.

Chief Kyle's fill in looked like they haven't even hit puberty yet.

Never thought I'd see Starfleet Medical Officers manhandling Klingons, but there you go.

Oh Chapel, if only you could see Spock so agonized over your safety or staring at you while you sleep.

As far as Klingon diplomacy goes, Spock did pretty well. Helps that he's leaning into being an unconventional Vulcan here.

Good thing they picked La'an back just in time for her to testify at Una's trial.

War with the Klingons averted...just as war with the Gorn looks like it's about to break out.

Spock's conversation with the Klingon seemed a bit like his one with Klaa in TFF (and as we've seen with season one, this series is not afraid to reference TFF). Except this time Spock was dealing with a more reasonable Klingon.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Does Spock outrank Kirk at this point? That would be a fun, twist, too.

S: "I recommend he never captains a ship, sir. The shuttle craft he took was destroyed. He doesn't follow orders."

K: "But was the mission successful?"

S: "That is irrelevant-"

K: "-Well we can argue the details but everyone is safe Mister Spock. Maybe we shouldn't work together again, Captain Pike."

S: "That would only be logical, Captain Pike."

*Pike grins, credits roll while a TOS stab plays "
    Seems a lot like the end of Broken Circle, except, of course, roles have been shifted.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    So could Una and Pike's mystery ex-friend be Yeoman Colt?
    I have been waiting for Colt to appear, or be mentioned.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Enjoyed the episode. Odd to get a season premier without Pike, but I like that it allowed others to get some attention.

And Spock steals the Federation flagship within what, a few hours, of his first command. While in spacedock. Supposedly doing nothing but waiting around and maybe answering the occasional question from an inspector.

Are we *sure* Kirk was the maverick between the two?

Damn fun episode, and the final scene stinger gives me exactly what I wanted; more Gorn!!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Enjoyed the episode. Odd to get a season premier without Pike, but I like that it allowed others to get some attention.

And Spock steals the Federation flagship within what, a few hours, of his first command. While in spacedock. Supposedly doing nothing but waiting around and maybe answering the occasional question from an inspector.

Damn fun episode, and the final scene stinger gives me exactly what I wanted; more Gorn!!
    I tally the score at Kirk: 1 theft of the Enterprise; Spock: 2 thefts (counting the Menagerie).
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

Kirk was pretty "by the book" in much of the original series. But when he saw the book needed to be thrown out for a mission, he was all in on the concept.
    Dark does not mean deep.