Page 8 of 99 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Kindly elaborate the point.
    Just never understood why it was that big of a deal in the first place, esp. since it's not officially confirmed that Kirk will be in the show in the first place.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I wouldn't mind some kind of series set in the gap between the TOS movies and TNG. Sure, it's been covered by the books but it seems like an interesting era-the thawing of relations with the Klingons (although they don't really become quite as friendly until the Enterprise C inciddent), the Cardassian conflicts, the Tomed Inciddent etc. Plus a sort of shift from the more militant Starfleet of the movies back to exploration (although DS9 reverses this again).

It'd be interesting to have a flashback to the Stargazer in the Picard series, although probably with a new actor with young Picard. I'm sure Tom hardy wants absolutely nothing to do with Star Trek, can't see Mcavoy going for it, and attempts to make Stewart younger using CG have been problematic (I know it was a long time ago).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Gotta say, I loved Mount's geeky excited laugh. And boy! Could Peck's voice possibly sound more like his granddaddy?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Gotta say, I loved Mount's geeky excited laugh. And boy! Could Peck's voice possibly sound more like his granddaddy?
    I gotta say Pike was one of the better parts of DSC Season 2. Which is sad because I want to like all the characters. Season 3 was better.

But I enjoy the cast's enthusiasm!

Ultimate Member

I think having several mini-arcs of about 3 to 4 episodes in each season generally works better for Star Trek than one overarching plot line

Description of Characters! Picked this up from https://www.theilluminerdi.com/2020/...-new-worlds-2/
    And https://blog.trekcore.com/2021/03/st...uction-starts/
    Yeboah. She’s Black, in her early 20s, and fresh out of the academy. She’s a linguistics genius, bright, promising, and the youngest member of the crew and she can sound “American” or have any other accent. Played by Celia Rose Gooding

La’an. She’s in her late 20s – early 30s and is the head of Security. She’s badass, physical, and suffers from PTSD. She has an air of vigilance and precision. They’d specifically like someone who is East Indian, Asian, or Middle Eastern, but are open to any ethnicity. She more or less sounds like a combination of every security officer we’ve seen on screen. Played by Christina Chong

Ortegas. She’s in her late 20’s, Latinx, and an experienced vet. She has kept a dry wit even with the combat she’s seen. She’s smart, funny, competitive, and is able to pivot from handling a gun to making a joke. So, maybe a Riker-type? Riker was able to pretty seamlessly swap from being dead serious to cracking a joke so she should fit right in. Played by Melissa Navia

The ship’s doctor is a bit of a puzzle. The name is listed as “Biodun” and the description states he is a close advisor to Captain Pike, has an air of “easy erudition”, is male, Black, in his 40s, and curiously, “from the original series”. In TOS, the doctor was McCoy, played by Deforest Kelly and in ‘The Cage’ the doctor was Philip Boyce, played by John Hoyt.

While “New Trek” hasn’t shied away from changing things, the use of a different name has me more than a little confused. After extensive research I couldn’t find any reference to a character with this name and while it’s not unusual for casting breakdowns to use codenames, it doesn’t seem likely here. So, your guess is as good as mine for this one. Played by Babs Olusanmokun.

Last up we have Biodun’s nurse, Miller. She’s in her late 20s – early 30s, Caucasian, heroic, charming, free-thinking, and “the beating heart” of sickbay. So, more or less, Dr. Crusher? Played by Jess Bush

The only two characters that make me way are La'an (her description makes her sound like a refugee from Discovery) and Ortegas (her description makes her sound like a Star Wars character) but I'm curious to find out the Doctors backstory and why Doctor Boyle was left out.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Boyce seemed to be kind of a prototype McCoy, sort of being Pike's confidant in a similar way to Kirk, but without the later's crankiness/southern charm.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Boyce seemed to be kind of a prototype McCoy, sort of being Pike's confidant in a similar way to Kirk, but without the later's crankiness/southern charm.
    I'm curious as to why they felt the need to recast the Boyle. The rest of the crew I could see, but Boyle as well? Oh well at least he isn't Piper. Does anyone remember that guy? Click the link he is number six on the list. https://www.tor.com/2019/04/11/8-cha...ason-2-finale/
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I'm curious as to why they felt the need to recast the Boyle. The rest of the crew I could see, but Boyle as well? Oh well at least he isn't Piper. Does anyone remember that guy? Click the link he is number six on the list. https://www.tor.com/2019/04/11/8-cha...ason-2-finale/
    I kind of hope they don't over-do-it with repurposing TOS characters. From about S5 of TNG on, a sense settled in that Starship crews almost never changed. Just me, but it took me out of the franchise a bit. Up to that point, there was a sense that we were looking at a slice of people's lives in the future, but that shifted it a bit toward just seeing stories stretched character types who had always been where they were, and always would be.

It would kind of be nice if they changed some cast from season to season, and not because of some huge drama, but because Lieutenant X took a transfer as part of a promotion.

Kelley was actually one of the actors Roddenberry wanted for Boyce, and he wasn't satisfied with Piper who he thought was too old.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 04-22-2021 at 08:45 AM.

There's that somewhat tongue-in-cheek, sometimes sincere fan campaign to get Jeffrey Combs to join the cast as Dr. Boyce. And frankly, I'm here for it.

For that matter, he's long overdue to show up in Discovery, Picard, and Lower Decks, too.

(lastly, I really think he should've been cast as Ebony Maw in Infinity War/Endgame)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    There's that somewhat tongue-in-cheek, sometimes sincere fan campaign to get Jeffrey Combs to join the cast as Dr. Boyce. And frankly, I'm here for it.

For that matter, he's long overdue to show up in Discovery, Picard, and Lower Decks, too.

(lastly, I really think he should've been cast as Ebony Maw in Infinity War/Endgame)
    Combs could always show up in the MCU.

I'd like to see him return to Star Trek in some capacity as well

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Mount is a well-cast actor for a series ran by the worst Hollywood has to offer in writing science fiction TV. I really wished he was around Star Trek during the TNG and DS9 era. I already see him in my head as one of Picard's Anchor men during landmark TV episodes like The Measures of a Man. it is rather unfortunate that Mount got to be part of Alex Kurtzman Star Trek. That been said, I hope the series does well and succeed because Mount deserves it after all that crap nonsense that happened with ABC Inhumans.