Page 87 of 99 FirstFirst ... 377783848586878889909197 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,305 of 1471
    Boisterously Confused

I liked it. No, it's not getting a chair in The ST Hall Of Greatness. Still, I found it fun.

As I have said before, ST been a bit timid in the past, and (to expand) stuck in its own tropes. Its good they're experimenting.

So Kirk and Pike here meet a second time, but Kirk only mentions the Fleet Captain one in "The Menagerie".

Maybe he was too embarassed to tell Mendez: "I met him again, when we all started belting out showtunes".
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    So Kirk and Pike here meet a second time, but Kirk only mentions the Fleet Captain one in "The Menagerie".

Maybe he was too embarassed to tell Mendez: "I met him again, when we all started belting out showtunes".
    I took that to mean he first met Pike then. I assumed the two would have obviously met for the transition of command. The Pike "promotion" in Lost in Translation seemed only a plot point to justify Kirk's Menagerie line. We should all thank the Koala that Shatner didn't go anywhere near the showtune line.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Power with Girl is better.

Boisterously Confused

I did wonder if, when casting Uhura, singing was part of the audition.

Ultimate Member

Uhura's solo in the engine room was amazing. That girl's got some pipes!

And yeah, it wasn't quite Once More, With Feeling, but I enjoyed it, and particularly that it advanced various characters arcs and growth, and wasn't just a silly musical (again, much like Once More, With Feeling).

I like that they put a pin in the relationships they did. One was going nowhere, and the other was just taking too darn long (and was as doomed anyway, since we know the future dating status of three of the four people involved), IMO.

Too bad about Captain Wynona. She might as well have started talking about, 'three days till retirement, I have this little farm in Montana...'

What a fun little episode. Nice to see them taking some chances with this show. I personally think it is paying off for them. One of the few shows I am going to miss if the next season gets delayed because of the writer's strike.
    Keep your hands to yourself, leave other people's things alone, and be kind to one another.

Funny thing about the dancing Klingons, it actually gets a good look at their new uniform design.

It's basically a mix of the TOS Klingon look and the post-TMP armor. The gold look and there's no skirt armor are the main similarities to the TOS look.

This felt so very Trekkie to me.

It's not like we haven't had singing holodeck shenanigans or concert & play storylines before.

I swear some people just hate fun nowadays.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

"Once More With Feeling" was bad enough but it's given birth to so many bad episodes. I long for the days when I thought that was the greatest sin Whedon committed.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 08-03-2023 at 09:14 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Extraordinary Member

It was fine. Khan!!! was the better musical and much more fun, but as an hour of television this did the job. My only real complaint is that I still hate how Spock is being written just so that the Spock/Chapel relationship can happen, and that finally seems to be ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    the musical episode was Buffy's once more with the feeling without the talent of Joss Whedon to make it a masterpiece. Also the writers continue to ruin Spock.The superficial reverse of the spock/chapel thing in SNW is insulting to Spock's image. So now Chapel is the one who acts cold and breaks his heart?

I bet he will get over it in the next episode and they will give him another love interest. Maybe that blonde chick from the side of paradise. The spock/chapel relationship would have been believable if they actually had one. we never even see them date peacefully or have moments after they got together in secrect, now they break up.

SNW Chapel is meant to be this strong woman, the opposite of her TOS self but she breaks up with spock because Boimler tells her , she is a phase. The spock/chapel stuff is so convoluted that it should never have been introduced.

All of a sudden I have more appreciation for the JJ Verse Spock/Uhura pairing, that felt more like a real pleasant long lasting relationship and they managed to stay together for years despite facing bigger obstacle. Also it JJ trek never reduced Spock to a clown like this show has done.

it also did not have the teen agsnt CW written crap of spock/chapel. if this show made spock/chapel canon because they wanted to rewritten history that TOS chapel was a useless female character whose only job was to pin for Spock, they failed because the spock/chapel love story has to be one of the worst wtf romance in trek history.

As for Laan/Kirk. Poor Laan. She does seem to like Kirk but the bombshell for Carol been pregnant with David was huge.While these romance is kind of shitty, at least there is some real depth there where I can have empathy for Laan unlike Chapel.I know SNW has some Spock and Laan shippers. Hopefully spock/laan can together to mend their shitty romance with kirk and chapel.

Lastly the fact that I am talking about the teen angst romance of SNW shows how bad this show is. they dont even explore any new world. this show is dawson creek set in space.
    Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    It was fine. Khan!!! was the better musical and much more fun, but as an hour of television this did the job. My only real complaint is that I still hate how Spock is being written just so that the Spock/Chapel relationship can happen, and that finally seems to be ending.
    Since the show has fed us so much of Spock's love life, I wonder if the show is setting us up with Spock/Uhura based on the last episode. A potential couple that star trek fans have always liked better from The Original series. The clues seems to be there.

1-Spock calls Uhura (Nyota) (this is significant because in AOS he is the only one that calls her that and it was a sign of intimacy.)
    2-He has confided in her about his relationship with Chapel, something that was meant to be a secret at that moment.
    3-Uhura thinks the (Spock/Chapel) romance is funny
    4-And she is the only one present when Spock and chapel are about to break up.

The only mistake they have made with Chapel is, they have not made her likeable. Uhura is likeable. If Uhura starts to show feelings for Spock. fans will route for her more than Chapel. There are already Spock/Uhura shippers from TOS and JJ verse that will start to translate soon in SNW.

Watching episode 9, the reaction has been clear. People love Uhura and have been commenting on the Uhura/Spock friendship, they don't like Chapel.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Tara was a great female character and one of the most powerful characters on the show because she had quiet kind of Power that could be effective even with Buffy in a way Giles never could. This is why Buffy confided with her about Spike.

The Cordy issue was bad, however those were external issues. The actress and whedon did not get along. Cordy was written poorly for Angel season 4 but she did get a good send off in season 5.

Black Widow is not a Buffy character.

Spock is a clown and is nothing like his TOS version. Quinto Spock is closer to TOS Spock more than SNW Spock, despite Quinto Spock been an alternate version.
    There is no way Spock is meant to mop of chapel or tpring, two women he rejected in TOS and found term intolerable. the show has flipped it, but if you also notice the show also flipped the women's personalities as I said, can anyone explain how snw chapel acts nothing like tos chapel?
    Tera's death was controversial in Buffy. There was controversy that Joss Whedon killed of Tera because he was playing the trope that lesbians must be punished for going against God's will.

We all hated Kennedy.

Buffy was a good show but a lot of things has not aged well about it. For instance Spike attempted rape of Buffy will never be a story line in 2023. His behaviour was a brutal assault on women regardless of if the woman had super powers or not.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Valentis View Post
    Since the show has fed us so much of Spock's love life, I wonder if the show is setting us up with Spock/Uhura based on the last episode. A potential couple that star trek fans have always liked better from The Original series. The clues seems to be there.

1-Spock calls Uhura (Nyota) (this is significant because in AOS he is the only one that calls her that and it was a sign of intimacy.)
    2-He has confided in her about his relationship with Chapel, something that was meant to be a secret at that moment.
    3-Uhura thinks the (Spock/Chapel) romance is funny
    4-And she is the only one present when Spock and chapel are about to break up.

The only mistake they have made with Chapel is, they have not made her likeable. Uhura is likeable. If Uhura starts to show feelings for Spock. fans will route for her more than Chapel. There are already Spock/Uhura shippers from TOS and JJ verse that will start to translate soon in SNW.

Watching episode 9, the reaction has been clear. People love Uhura and have been commenting on the Uhura/Spock friendship, they don't like Chapel.
    Eh. YMMV. I've found Chapel likeable enough once I got past how different she was from TOS.

They'll probably bring in Leila as the rebound girlfriend-I think this is roughly the point in time she and Spock had a relationship, although at some point Spock starts to become less emotional before Kirk takes command and this drives her away.

So with Chapel probably leaving for a while (Has it been corfirmed Jessa Bush is taking a break?) I kind of wonder if they'll bring in Piper, or even McCoy.