BANNED

Default Makarov vs Gildarts

No fairy law and some place where they can't do any property damage.

o

I honestly think Gildart's showing on the Island was the highest any FT member's had to date. I it's obvious that Mashima had to get him off screen just because him being around would make things too easy right?

Extraordinary Member

While I'd say the in manga Gildartz is totally set up as the stronger of the two I think that it could be argued that Makarov has better feats based just on the fact that he has way more of them than Gildartz does.

Either way it's a fight but we kinda need to see Gildartz fight some more people besides Natsu, Blue Note and Acnologia (though that last one wasn't really a fight).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    I honestly think Gildart's showing on the Island was the highest any FT member's had to date. I it's obvious that Mashima had to get him off screen just because him being around would make things too easy right?
    Agreed but I just thought they would get harder enemies. He's such a great character.

o

Incredible Member

Gildartz is strong but Titan Makarov is HUGE. He could probably just step on Gildartz.

Other than that, i do believe Makarov is stronger. Hades fought him while Gildartz only fought Bluenote. Bluenote, while incredibly powerful himself, is clearly below his master. Gildartz was only slightly above Bluenote as opposed to completely outclassing him.

My ranking is...
    Hades
    [gap]
    Makarov
    Gildartz
    Bluenote

Quote Originally Posted by NK1988 View Post
    Gildartz is strong but Titan Makarov is HUGE. He could probably just step on Gildartz.
    Remind me just how well his size worked out for him against Hades .

Other than that, i do believe Makarov is stronger. Hades fought him while Gildartz only fought Bluenote. Bluenote, while incredibly powerful himself, is clearly below his master. Gildartz was only slightly above Bluenote as opposed to completely outclassing him.
    Getting completely curbstomped by Hades isn't a good feat at all. It just means he is radically below Hades.
    Last edited by Cody; 08-16-2014 at 03:49 PM.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    https://reborngn.com/?page=register&ref=408192
    ^-my referral

Incredible Member

Makarov didn't enter into a physical battle with Hades. He shrank to normal right after Fairy Law was countered. In terms of physical power, he was able to temporarily hold off Acnologia in his giant form. What feats of strength does Gildarts have to suggest he can withstand that?

And like I said, Gildarts was only around Bluenote level. Makarov lost to hades yes but he's certainly above Hades' subordinate.

Makarov didn't enter into a physical battle with Hades. He shrank to normal right after Fairy Law was countered.
    Corection: He shrank in size after Hades flung him around like a ragdoll.

In terms of physical power, he was able to temporarily hold off Acnologia in his giant form. What feats of strength does Gildarts have to suggest he can withstand that?
    Not a feat. He was smacked down for trying. Getting stomped by the dragon just like Gildarts isn't a feat.

And like I said, Gildarts was only around Bluenote level. Makarov lost to hades yes but he's certainly above Hades' subordinate.
    He's beat Bluenote so he is not "around his level". Makarov didn't just lose to Hades. He was utterly curbstomped. You assume he is above Bluenote based on...What, because you say so?
    Saint Seiya Online:
    https://reborngn.com/?page=register&ref=408192
    ^-my referral

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    He's beat Bluenote so he is not "around his level".
    And after fighting Bluenote, Gildartz ended so utterly exhausted that he was literally unable to move afterwards, which would strongly argue against a vast disparity between both mages.

In any case, even assuming that other things are equal (and I think that Makarov is stronger), the fact that Makarov has ranged options, which Gildartz lacks, kind of gives him the advantage.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Estrecca View Post
    And after fighting Bluenote, Gildartz ended so utterly exhausted that he was literally unable to move afterwards, which would strongly argue against a vast disparity between both mages.
    Gildarts was de-powered in the middle of his Bluenote fight, during which period he just laid on the ground taking a beating. That alone would account for how exhausted he was at the end. When he got his power back, he negated Bluenote's strongest attack and took him out with a single super-punch.

So, ultimately Bluenote proved just strong enough to trade a couple of warm-up hits with Gildarts before being completely stomped. I think it's safe to put Gildarts on a whole higher tier.

In any case, even assuming that other things are equal (and I think that Makarov is stronger), the fact that Makarov has ranged options, which Gildartz lacks, kind of gives him the advantage.
    I can't think of any ranged options Makarov has that would get through Gildarts' crash magic. You have to keep in mind that anything thrown at him that's not even as strong as Bluenote's black hole and Nastu's roar will just get disassembled.

Incredible Member

Gildarts' Magic is uniquely suited to counteracting Bluenote's Magic. Not much else could have done anything about Bluenote's Black Hole because everything else is some form of substance. Gildarts' Magic though is just a force - it could crush him and there was nothing for the gravity well to act upon there.

Also I'm sick of people saying they were "warm-up" punches. Gildarts put everything he had into that battle and barely came out on top. And this was after Bluenote withstood Fairy Glitter so he wasn't going into the fight at 100%.

Extraordinary Member

Also I'm sick of people saying they were "warm-up" punches. Gildarts put everything he had into that battle and barely came out on top. And this was after Bluenote withstood Fairy Glitter so he wasn't going into the fight at 100%.
    Blue Note never got hit by Fairy Glitter. He crushed it so that it hit the ground around him.

And reviewing their known feats I'd say that Makarov generally takes the fight. His giant form gives him a nice range advantage and it'll just be bad for Gildartz if the size-changing Makarov gets cut into minis. But mainly Makarov's biggest titan form showed the durability to shrug off a blast from a jupiter canon. Gildartz has not shown anything on that level.

All-New Member

Also I'm sick of people saying they were "warm-up" punches. Gildarts put everything he had into that battle and barely came out on top.
    If, in the middle of a fight, you stop defending yourself and just take hits, you're going to be worn down by the end. That's what happened to Gildarts in issue 235. All of a sudden he (like the rest of his guild) couldn't move and Bluenote punched and kicked his helpless body for the duration of Erza's final few rounds against Azuma.

As soon as that plot-induced weakness was over, Gildarts knocked out Bluenote out with ONE magic punch. Had he used that magic punch in the beginning, there would have been no fight. Ultimately, Bluenote only lasted against Gildarts (when he could fight back) for a few seconds of actual combat.
    Last edited by lucifernomi; 08-19-2014 at 01:44 PM.