Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Superman in Apokolips War thread

The apparent ending for this new 52 animated universe that began with Flashpoint Paradox
    spoilers:

-maybe this could have been split into a two parter, but this generally skipped passed the initial failed invasion of Apokolips and imo largely benefited from that
    -So Clark Kent and John Constantine were the main protagonists in the end. Which is very good seeing as they were the best characters of this dc animated movie universe.
    -lots of shock value
    -wait, I thought Swamp Thing and Black Manta were already dead?!?
    -I like that this ties in the JL, The JLD, the Titans and the Suicide Squad, really feels like this universe built up to this.
    -So Amanda Waller finally died of cancer. As a fan of H2P, it’s good to know she’s presumably in hell where she deserves.
    -Lois, Etrigan and Damian are all badasses.
    -Lex Flipping Luthor everybody! Whether it’s the Anti Monitor destroying the multiverse or Darkseid conquering the universe that son of a bitch really does know how to survive to the bitter end.
    -So this began... and ends with Flashpoint. Odd given The Flash hasn’t don’t anything of note or get any development of any kind since Flashpoint
    -I guess the new Superman: man of tomorrow movie is going to be part of a new universe after all.
    end of spoilers
    Well this is a tricky one to rate. Gotta commend then for bringing everyone together and setting high stakes. Must admit to being surprised how this played out.
    For now I’ll go with a 4/5

spoilers:
    how they follow or IF they follow with that cliffhanger is a big factor on how I think I’ll end up remembering this one though
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 05-05-2020 at 08:17 AM.

Mighty Member

spoilers:
    How big is the role of Superboy and the rest of the TT?
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    spoilers:
    How big is the role of Superboy and the rest of the TT?
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Raven and Damian play a big role. The rest of the Titans (including Superboy) are quickly killed off.
    end of spoilers

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

What was the cliffhanger you were talking about?
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    spoilers:
    Raven and Damian play a big role. The rest of the Titans (including Superboy) are quickly killed off.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    By who? Horrible that Conner only get ONE MOVIE and a short appearance, despite having so much potential...Shame that now everything is Damian concentrated...
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    What was the cliffhanger you were talking about?
    spoilers:
    Something about the earth dying because of Darkseid harvesting it’s resources, so Barry goes back in time to reset the timeline again.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    spoilers:
    Something about the earth dying because of Darkseid harvesting it’s resources, so Barry goes back in time to reset the timeline again.
    end of spoilers
    Seriously?!!! 6 years of animated movies set in this universe and that's how it ends? Jeez what a letdown.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    Seriously?!!! 6 years of animated movies set in this universe and that's how it ends? Jeez what a letdown.
    It ended on dour note. Which is kinda refreshing if you ask me. Heroes fail, decide to go back and undo whatever flashpoint did. spoilers:
    supertrigon is awesome
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

I think Bats, Supes and Constantine were served well by this New 52verse, because they had the most exposure. The Titans, Leaguers (Flash, GL, Hawkman, Green Arrow and others) mainly missed the boat. I haven't seen WW Bloodlines, but I heard it didn't sell well. It's still another movie to showcase Diana though. Aquaman's Throne of Atlantis movie was done better by his DCEU appearance. Plus, I felt the book arc was better executed.

Hitting the reset button always runs the risk of alienating the audience. There are more stories to tell with characters not Batman or Superman. It's a bummer they choose to end it like this. C'mon. A third Titans movie would be hot!

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    I think Bats, Supes and Constantine were served well by this New 52verse, because they had the most exposure. The Titans, Leaguers (Flash, GL, Hawkman, Green Arrow and others) mainly missed the boat. I haven't seen WW Bloodlines, but I heard it didn't sell well. It's still another movie to showcase Diana though. Aquaman's Throne of Atlantis movie was done better by his DCEU appearance. Plus, I felt the book arc was better executed.

Hitting the reset button always runs the risk of alienating the audience. There are more stories to tell with characters not Batman or Superman. It's a bummer they choose to end it like this. C'mon. A third Titans movie would be hot!
    Hey! Atleast we got more trigon. Who knew trigon could be badass dude.I wonder if clark who fought darkseid as comparable in strength could fight trigon as well?clark got scaled up that's for sure. At first, he couldn't handle darkseid alone needed the entire league. Then he beat both barry and diana possed by trigon. He got a couple of hits on trigon. Then he got strong enough to beat a creature stronger than the league. Now, he stood almost on equal footing with darkseid. That's a steady powerscaling.
    I wish they had fleshed out Clark's decision to go to war and his time as kryptonite infected fighting as normal man.lois was just Spectacular. I want more of this from the lady of action.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 05-05-2020 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    It ended on dour note. Which is kinda refreshing if you ask me. Heroes fail, decide to go back and undo whatever flashpoint did. spoilers:
    supertrigon is awesome
    end of spoilers
    I can't say I'm not disappointed that this film decides to repeat the thing that caused its existence in the first place.

Also heroes failing happens all the time now. Scott Snyder's JL run consists of the Justice League losing to the Legion of Doom again and again.

I can't say I'm not disappointed that this film decides to repeat the thing that caused its existence in the first place.

Also heroes failing happens all the time now. Scott Snyder's JL run consists of the Justice League losing to the Legion of Doom again and again.
    In animated movies, they don't. Even flashpoint ended with barry successfully turning back time.

spoilers:
    Lois died and Superman not only didn’t turn evil, he even tried to lift everyone’s spirits up! God that felt satisfying to see.
    end of spoilers

Overall I liked the movie a lot. I felt it treated Superman very well. He kept his spirit up and kept fighting even when everything seemed lost. I almost wish they had held off on spoilers:
    rebooting
    end of spoilers until after another movie about these guys trying to rebuild post-Darkseid. There was definitely some storytelling potential there. Ah well, looking forward to Man of Tomorrow. I gotta say, maybe I’m just easy to please, but I’ve been feeling pretty happy with how Superman has been treated in these movies lately.

I wouldn't be surprised though if it doesn't even matter. In the sense that I don't think they're going to explore a reset canon and start over again. At least not anytime soon. I get the distinct feeling that this is not just the end of this particular continuity of animated films, but the end of the set animated continuity concept altogether as they move back to stand-alone films of all types. Again at least for a while.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I have a lot of thoughts on the movie, but I'll try to limit them to Superman. It's not what I'd call a great movie because I think it has a lot of flaws, but I think there are some really great parts, especially toward the end.

spoilers:
    As pointed out in the Sneak Peeks, the story starts when angry Superman makes a bit of a rash decision, albeit one backed by the senior JL members, to take on Darkseid head on. The JL/JLU has a few plots about Superman's recklessness, so there's nothing really new here, but there was a lot more heart in the older cartoons. Maybe it's a direct consequence of being able to use longer-form storytelling, I don't know. Yet, when you compare something like the episode "Twilight" where Superman is really pissed at Darkseid, says a lot of things out of anger, etc., you get to see a whole range of emotions and consequences that just can't play out in a movie like this. Perhaps more importantly, we got to see big plot elements from the prior show pay off with style. In regard to the movie, I get it, Superman has a lot of personal animosity toward Darkseid, so maybe he's not thinking straight when he tells the consolidated Justice League they're going to attack Apokolips, but it's more of a quick setup for the action to begin and all the pieces to fall into place than a genuine character study I felt the cartoon got right.

I think Superman isn't particularly interesting throughout most of this movie, other than his never-say-die attitude which is pretty good. All of that seemed to change by the end, though. I normally don't care for mind-controlled Superman moments, but something about Super-Trigon is just fan-freakin'-tastic. And regular Superman's throwdown with Darkseid was also pretty cool. So while this isn't my favorite Superman movie, it gave me some pretty memorable stuff, too.
    end of spoilers

Fans will find this movie controversial, though I think it'll be the good kind of controversial. An example of the bad kind would be The Killing Joke or Batman and Harley Quinn when the critiques of the movie questioned the moral integrity of creators.