Spectacular Member Kuro no Shinigami's Avatar

Default Which do you like more? comics or manga?

Which is better? Is it comics or manga?

I used to read Marvel and DC comics in the past. I guess I got bored of superhero comic books.

Now I prefer to read manga including Dr. Stone, My Hero Academia, Vinland Saga, One Piece, Shaman King, Welcome to the Ballroom, Maria + Holic, Elfen Lied, Card Captor Sakura and many others. I have found most of them very entertaining and interesting. Some manga are amusing. Some of the manga I read have extreme violence, horror, gore and sexual content. But best of all, they don't have a shared universe with a 60-year old continuity.

I think the question is far too broad. Comics is an art, so Mangas are comics too. Is the question just about american comicbooks vs manga? American superheroes vs shonen manga? Marvel&DC vs Manga? What about european comics? Latinamerican comics? Are they out of the question?
    Last edited by Chubistian; 05-16-2020 at 01:49 PM.
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Just Meh I guess.
    Last edited by GOLGO 13; 05-21-2020 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Meh.

Go back and forth, love them both for different reasons. I would say my current favorite title is a manga though.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    I think the question is far too broad. Comics is an art, so Mangas are comics too. Is the question just about american comicbooks vs manga? American superheroes vs shonen manga? Marvel&DC vs Manga? What about european comics? Latinamerican comics? Are they out of the question?
    Oh sorry. You are right about "too broad". Actually I mean just American comics of any genre also including teen humor (Archie Comics), fantasy, sci-fi, horror, westerns, etc.

European comics aren't called "comics" any more than manga are called Japanese comics.
    For example, French and Belgians use the term "bande dessinée" (singular) or "Bandes dessinées" (plural). Italian comics are called fumetti (plural of the Italian singular word fumetto (comic book. Dutch use the word "Duitse strip" to refer to their comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuro no Shinigami View Post
    Oh sorry. You are right about "too broad". Actually I mean just American comics of any genre also including teen humor (Archie Comics), fantasy, sci-fi, horror, westerns, etc.

European comics aren't called "comics" any more than manga are called Japanese comics.
    For example, French and Belgians use the term "bande dessinée" (singular) or "Bandes dessinées" (plural). Italian comics are called fumetti (plural of the Italian singular word fumetto (comic book. Dutch use the word "Duitse strip" to refer to their comics.
    I'm familiar with Bandes Dessinées (thank, french school), didn't know about italian's fumetti, cool term. At least in my country, I think young people separate the art in comics and mangas at best, but most people who aren't familiar with the ninth art will just go with "comics" to name everything hahaha. About the question, I have a preference towards american comicbooks, especially superheroes by the big two. It's not a preference in terms of elements that I like most in this genre over others, but it's the habit I built since my childhood and characters I became more familiar with. So I will go with comics, though there're some amazing mangas out there
    Last edited by Chubistian; 05-18-2020 at 06:12 PM.
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Comics. Never been a fan of Manga or Anime at all.

The question is flawed in that people more familiar with American (or English or French or Italian or Belgian) comics will say comics, and a handful of others will say manga.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

TBH, the vast majority of Asian comics just don't translate well to me. There have been exceptions, but they are few and far between. The same is true for many non-English comics from Europe, as well.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

I have enjoyed American Superhero comics for most of my life. But I am starting to branch out into Manga. I read most of Battle Royale. Stopped when I got to the sex abuse flashback. I enjoyed it a lot up until that point but dont know if I will finish it because of that. I am also going to read Claymore and Goblin Slayer as both came recommended and look like fun reads. I cant say that I am a fan of Manga yet but I am trying.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

If you asked me when I was a teenager, I would have voted for manga with no hesitation. But now...eh. There's still good stuff that slips through every now and then, but for the most part there's just too much waifu-loli-moeblob garbage to wade through.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    -I read most of Battle Royale. Stopped when I got to the sex abuse flashback. I enjoyed it a lot up until that point but dont know if I will finish it because of that.
    -I am also going to read Goblin Slayer.
    Yeah...you probably shouldn't.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

I read all different kinds of comics. I started off as primarily a DC comics fan in the early 90’s.(BTAS got me into superheroes) Yhen gradually started reading more Marvel stuff. The early 2000’s were my college years and those years coincided with the rise of Toonami and Adult Swim on Cartoon Network. That’s when I started reading Manga a lot. Some time in the late 2000’s I bought a book called the Essential guide to World comics, which really opened my eyes to the breath of European comics. To me every type of comics has its pro’s and cons.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I have enjoyed American Superhero comics for most of my life. But I am starting to branch out into Manga. I read most of Battle Royale. Stopped when I got to the sex abuse flashback. I enjoyed it a lot up until that point but dont know if I will finish it because of that. I am also going to read Claymore and Goblin Slayer as both came recommended and look like fun reads. I cant say that I am a fan of Manga yet but I am trying.
    Sorry to hear that you can't stomach the Battle Royale. I can't wait for you to say you will want to continue reading Goblin Slayer after reading the first chapter

Quote Originally Posted by Xero Kaiser View Post
    If you asked me when I was a teenager, I would have voted for manga with no hesitation. But now...eh. There's still good stuff that slips through every now and then, but for the most part there's just too much waifu-loli-moeblob garbage to wade through.

That is true., I have just read a new manga called Ore wa Rorikon ja Nai!

Yeah, the Japanese manga storytellers have a unique storytelling style when it comes to horror, gore and sexual violence.
    Last edited by Kuro no Shinigami; 05-29-2020 at 10:38 AM.