Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default What Do You Want From Wonder Woman in 2021?

We've just about reached the end of the year and next year is Diana's 80th, so thought I'd ask what stuff you'd like to see for the Wonder Woman in the coming year. Seems DC at the moment already has some stuff planned with the new digital series, the new creative team, and Diana's role in the Infinite Frontier special.

For me? Hopefully Historia finally gets a solicitation date sometime in the first half of the year and since TGL will be wrapping up, I'd like to see maybe Sharp do a sequel for his The Brave and The Bold story he did a few years ago.

Incredible Member

This may sound weird, but I would love a story with Wonder Woman and Peacemaker. I don't know much about the character, but his peace no matter the cost mantra could play well with a Wonder Woman who has morals and limits. Allow a Wonder Woman villain to be the big bad - may be influenced by Ares. However, I would love a story that shows that there are limits to peace.

I would love Renae de Liz to do a Wonder Woman vs. Villainy Inc graphic novel.

The announcement of an animated series.

More information on the Wonder Girl series.

Confirmation that the Amazons film is in production.

I don't particularly play this game, but I would love a Wonder Woman themed Fortnite pack.

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    This may sound weird, but I would love a story with Wonder Woman and Peacemaker. I don't know much about the character, but his peace no matter the cost mantra could play well with a Wonder Woman who has morals and limits. Allow a Wonder Woman villain to be the big bad - may be influenced by Ares. However, I would love a story that shows that there are limits to peace.

I would love Renae de Liz to do a Wonder Woman vs. Villainy Inc graphic novel.

The announcement of an animated series.

More information on the Wonder Girl series.

Confirmation that the Amazons film is in production.

I don't particularly play this game, but I would love a Wonder Woman themed Fortnite pack.
    I've been hoping from something from Renae de Liz again also, especially since she's apparently working with DC again and the editorial cleansing hopefully means a clean slate for a lot of creators.

Well I know what I desire is something I won't get. But what I want is for DC to treat Wonder Woman as they treated Black Panther between 2016 and 2019. Themyscira needs a new design, one that abandons the Greek influence (which doesn't even make sense if you understand their role in Greek Mythology) and focuses on the fantasy of a lesbian utopia. Have a new form of architecture that combines things like Angkor Wat with Art Noveau's motifs of nature (like the architect Gaudi). Create a unique culture that mixes different nationalities from women that arrived on the island over the millenia. Invest in the idea of a mixture of technology and the magical. And write stories about gender through the unique point of view of an artificial woman (molded in clay) raised by an isolated lesbian society, that decided to abandon her world and come into ours, where some are redefining gender and gender relations are more complex than ever, even if just in the struggle to define feminity in a truthfull and not reactionary manner.
    Last edited by Alpha; 12-22-2020 at 09:13 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I've been hoping from something from Renae de Liz again also, especially since she's apparently working with DC again and the editorial cleansing hopefully means a clean slate for a lot of creators.
    Agreed! While I loved Legend of Wonder Woman, it's been years since it released, and I'd rather see Diana and her rogues and cast in a contemporary setting.

I also wouldn't mind seeing the announcement of an animated Wonder Woman: Pandora Virus film either, but maybe I'm being greedy.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

My list:

1.) Development and elevation of Diana's existing non-Greek myth rogues. Dr. Poison, Queen Clea, Giganta, Dr. Psycho, Osira, Gudra, Aegeus, Kung, Zara, Blue Snowman, Minister Blizzard, Sumo the Samurai, The Mask, Angle Man, Baron Blitzkreig, etc.

2.) A Wonder Woman animated series set in Batman The Brave & The Bold universe.

3.) A second Wonder Family ongoing that features Donna Troy, Cassie Sandsmark, Nubia, Artemis, Hessia, Yara Flor, Steve Trevor, and other long-time allies of Diana.

4.) A regular artist on the main title for at least 2 years. An occasional fill-in once or twice a year is ok so the main artist can keep up.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Well I know what I desire is something I won't get. But what I want is for DC to treat Wonder Woman as they treated Black Panther between 2016 and 2019. Themyscira needs a new design, one that abandons the Greek influence (which doesn't even make sense if you understand their role in Greek Mythology) and focuses on the fantasy of a lesbian utopia. Have a new form of architecture that combines things like Angkor Wat with Art Noveau's motifs of nature (like the architect Gaudi). Create a unique culture that mixes different nationalities from women that arrived on the island over the millenia. Invest in the idea of a mixture of technology and the magical. And write stories about gender through the unique point of view of an artificial woman (molded in clay) raised by an isolated lesbian society, that decided to abandon her world and come into ours, where some are redefining gender and gender relations are more complex than ever, even if just in the struggle to define feminity in a truthfull and not reactionary manner.
    Diana herself has struggled the most with this, not because of her childhood in Themyscira but because writers have tried to throw her in so many directions without an underlying understanding of her purpose. Marston's ideology probably isn't a solution, but that was the only moment where everything about her made was both cohesive and relevant. Most people nowadays try to define her as an example of a "strong woman", and they either define her as an aggressive warrior, or stress the idea of a peacefull and resourceful inspirational figure, which isn't a bad thing, but also creates this vague sense of passive feminism. It makes her more of a vague moral patron instead of an active participant and demonstrator of what we should do. Anyway, rant over. I hope Grant Morrisons Earth One Vol 3 finally gives us a solid book in the series (the previous ones had interesting ideas but were very passable) and I hope Historia comes out and doesn't disappoint. I really wanted Kelly Sue Deconick on Wonder Woman. Oh and I hope Sensation Comics becomes a strong title even if it's just digital.

1.) Development and elevation of Diana's existing non-Greek myth rogues. Dr. Poison, Queen Clea, Giganta, Dr. Psycho, Osira, Gudra, Aegeus, Kung, Zara, Blue Snowman, Minister Blizzard, Sumo the Samurai, The Mask, Angle Man, Baron Blitzkreig, etc.
    Agreed. I would also like to avoid "spinoff" villains (Grail, Liar Liar, etc.).

And for me - Steve and Etta. I love a consistent supporting cast and love them when done well (which they often aren't, of course). Really important to me.

More real-word set (not Themyscira or mythological places) stories.

Most people nowadays try to define her as an example of a "strong woman", and they either define her as an aggressive warrior, or stress the idea of a peacefull and resourceful inspirational figure, which isn't a bad thing, but also creates this vague sense of passive feminism. It makes her more of a vague moral patron instead of an active participant and demonstrator of what we should do.
    That's a pretty fair assessment. I'd like to see her in adventure stories where she isn't wielding a sword, but is fighting. And winning.

This is more comics-in-general, but tone down misery, angst, and suffering and let the heroes, Diana included, enjoy themselves and maybe even be a bit happy in general life.

No more personal/historical connections to new villains (or retconned on to old ones). Another pet-peeve of mine.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

First and foremost, I want Historia to finally come out. At least Phil's issue.

For the main title, arcs focusing on her building up her rogues gallery is my main desire. I've resigned myself to the fact we're likely getting more Max and Liar Liar, but I can put up with them if we are indeed also getting Psycho, Circe, Giganta the Silver Swan, plus hopefully some others. I'm always down for more Cheetah, but she could use a bit of a break while they build back up to her. More Veronica Cale and Dr. Cyber would be nice, along with ideally the rest of the classic Villainy Inc. members.

For supporting cast, it's nice to see that there are no plans to shelve Nubia, Steve or Etta. I'd like a simplified Donna to finally get a semi-regular role again in the books, plus the likes of Ferdinand and Julia Kapatelis (reveal her death was faked please) would be much appreciated

A video game and animated series is also always on my wish list.

Oh oh, and someone had the idea of adding one of her villains to the Suicide Squad and I completely agree. Dr Psycho benefited a lot from being in the Harley Quinn Tv show, and I think it shows that you can also help her popularity if you show that her villains can be interesting outsidd her own books. So put someone like Giganta, or maybe Dr Poison, or Paula Von Gunther in the Suicide Squad. They have unique personalities and gimmicks that could work in that group.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Oh oh, and someone had the idea of adding one of her villains to the Suicide Squad and I completely agree. Dr Psycho benefited a lot from being in the Harley Quinn Tv show, and I think it shows that you can also help her popularity if you show that her villains can be interesting outsidd her own books. So put someone like Giganta, or maybe Dr Poison, or Paula Von Gunther in the Suicide Squad. They have unique personalities and gimmicks that could work in that group.
    I'd have to say no thanks to that. There hasn't been a Suicide Squad-related thing in the past decade that hasn't made me roll my eyes and the less Wonder Woman and adjacent characters are near Harley Quinn is all the better.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I'd have to say no thanks to that. There hasn't been a Suicide Squad-related thing in the past decade that hasn't made me roll my eyes and the less Wonder Woman and adjacent characters are near Harley Quinn is all the better.
    I respectfully disagree. Warner Bros/DC are obviously committed to the franchise. The brand has already done wonders for Peacemaker - a HBO Max series and the lead of the upcoming Suicide Squad comic. Having a Wonder character there would be great for the Wonder brand. I'll personally want Warmaster as a character with a storyline where Dr. Poison is the main antagonist.

My realistic 2021 wishlist:
    • The new creative team blow us all away with their great stories and art.
    • Sensational Wonder Woman has more good than bad, and rarely uses non-WW characters.
    • Queen Clea returns.
    • A good Giganta story.
    • Expansion to the Wonder Woman: Challenge of the Amazons board game.
    • More Blue Snowman and/or Zara.

My not-so-realistic 2021 wishlist:
    • Announcement of a Wonder Woman animated series (I'd settle for a new animated movie).
    • Villainy, Inc. returns.
    • Sharkeeta returns, even if just for a cameo. I want my shark-fairy-mermaid back!
    • Julia and Vanessa return to being core supporting cast for Diana. Maybe the rest of the Perez-era supporting cast, as well, like Myndi Mayer, Eileen Flowers, and Ed Indelicato. Solve the Vanessa-as-Silver-Swan issue by bringing Helen Alexandros back.
    • Second mainstream title. Sensational WW is great, but I'd love a new title that can flesh out WW's world. And yes, I put this in my unrealistic wishlist because I just can't see DC doing it... sigh.
    • Renae de Liz gets to finish her Legend of Wonder Woman, Vol. 2.
    • Wonder Woman: The Video Game.

Yes! I started playing the game simply because of the addition of X-Men stuff. I would kill for Wonder Woman & Cheetah skins. They gave 'em to Aquaman and Black Manta, so I can't see why not.

A video game. Preferably by either Supergiant or Platinum.

An animated series.

Historia.

More use of Donna, Cassie, Artemis, Nubia, Hippolyta and Philippus.

Undoing what was done to the Kapatelis.

Clay origin back (yeah probably not going to happen).

I respectfully disagree. Warner Bros/DC are obviously committed to the franchise. The brand has already done wonders for Peacemaker - a HBO Max series and the lead of the upcoming Suicide Squad comic. Having a Wonder character there would be great for the Wonder brand. I'll personally want Warmaster as a character with a storyline where Dr. Poison is the main antagonist.
    If they want a WW villain give them Egg-Fu 'cause that's the quality of villain the Suicide Squad brand deserves.

I don't why people think this would happen. There hasn't been more use of Donna or Cassie because of their presence in TT or YJ and on the villain front this is pretty Giganta's situation, which also hasn't done anything for increasing the WW universe/brand. If anything it just cedes another character to an unrelated franchise.