Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Since WB wont let Diana have a live action series...Nubia would be perfect to take that one.
    I agree. With all the other live action shows doing pretty well and more on the way, and in my opinion doing better then most of movies, Nubia would probably make for a pretty good show.

If not her then Fury or Cassie. Hell even if Nubia isn’t the main character she could definitely be a great main cast member, say there is a Fury daughter of Wonder Woman show Nubia could show up as a main character to help train her niece in Amazonian ways. Of course Nubia getting her own show would be just as cool.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Rutina Wesley would make a great Nubia!

Wonder Woman TAS - Nubia Redesign Profile by Femmes-Fatales

Prior to the show moving to CBS, for Season Two, I understand that producers of ABC's Wonder Woman TV show (1975) once considered Teresa Graves to play a 'black Wonder Woman' [Nubia?] on the show, ..after Graves's show Get Christie Love was cancelled. I also recall that actress/sportscaster Jayne Kennedy Overton played a private detective (Carolyn) on WW, who was not Nubia, ..but, an entirely different character.

Here's where I get lost and a little curious...

Could the WW show producers, after considering Graves, Joan Pringle and other actresses, ..have finally settled on Jayne? The Mego company made dolls, modeled after the WW show characters. Jayne didn't do WW, until after the Nubia doll's release, but, it sure LOOKS like Jayne - the chin, the forehead, the lips, etc. Every time I look at a pic of the Mego Nubia doll, ..I can't help, but wonder.

Was Jayne, and not Teresa Graves, the final pick for Nubia?
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Prior to the show moving to CBS, for Season Two, I understand that producers of ABC's Wonder Woman TV show (1975) once considered Teresa Graves to play a 'black Wonder Woman' [Nubia?] on the show, ..after Graves's show Get Christie Love was cancelled. I also recall that actress/sportscaster Jayne Kennedy Overton played a private detective (Carolyn) on WW, who was not Nubia, ..but, an entirely different character.

Here's where I get lost and a little curious...

Could the WW show producers, after considering Graves, Joan Pringle and other actresses, ..have finally settled on Jayne? The Mego company made dolls, modeled after the WW show characters. Jayne didn't do WW, until after the Nubia doll's release, but, it sure LOOKS like Jayne - the chin, the forehead, the lips, etc. Every time I look at a pic of the Mego Nubia doll, ..I can't help, but wonder.

Was Jayne, and not Teresa Graves, the final pick for Nubia?
    I mentioned this a while back, but yes, I only heard of Jayne Kennedy as being considered as Nubia,. The episode with Jayne as a former cop-gone-bad which I believe was named "Knockout" (if I remember correctly) was a test for that opportunity, which, if the series had been extended a 4th year, Jayne would have been seen as Nubia in silver armor and that the doll was indeed patterned after Jayne as Nubia.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I mentioned this a while back, but yes, I only heard of Jayne Kennedy as being considered as Nubia,. The episode with Jayne as a former cop-gone-bad which I believe was named "Knockout" (if I remember correctly) was a test for that opportunity, which, if the series had been extended a 4th year, Jayne would have been seen as Nubia in silver armor and that the doll was indeed patterned after Jayne as Nubia.
    Interesting, but goes against what most sources tell as the story. It was as the other poster mentioned, an idea for the series when it was at ABC and set during the war. That Teresa Graves was the person thought to fill the role, etc. I've never heard that Jayne was considered for the role, but most people associate the two characters.

From a toy making standpoint, the sculptor for the WW doll was specifically instructed to not make the doll look like Lynda, and to just make " a pretty girl". This info comes from an interview with the sculptor.

That, and the Nubia doll uses the WW head sculpt. So there would be no likeness to Jayne as it wasn't scuplted in her likeness.

And the lead time for toy design is a solid year, ( often two) before the line comes out. Sculpts have to be created, molds made etc. Fashions designed, fabrics ordered, and then everything made. While tv episodes are often written within months of their filming and broadcast. The timing is off.

Plus it makes no sense for her to be Carolyn in one episode of season 2, with dolls coming out that same year, and then for some reason she'd be Nubia in season 4, when the line was waning and the Nubia dolls aren't being made....

Plus the doll is very, almost exactly, patterned off of Nubia in the comics, from 1973 or 74...

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post
    Interesting, but goes against what most sources tell as the story. It was as the other poster mentioned, an idea for the series when it was at ABC and set during the war. That Teresa Graves was the person thought to fill the role, etc. I've never heard that Jayne was considered for the role, but most people associate the two characters.

From a toy making standpoint, the sculptor for the WW doll was specifically instructed to not make the doll look like Lynda, and to just make " a pretty girl". This info comes from an interview with the sculptor.

That, and the Nubia doll uses the WW head sculpt. So there would be no likeness to Jayne as it wasn't scuplted in her likeness.

And the lead time for toy design is a solid year, ( often two) before the line comes out. Sculpts have to be created, molds made etc. Fashions designed, fabrics ordered, and then everything made. While tv episodes are often written within months of their filming and broadcast. The timing is off.

Plus it makes no sense for her to be Carolyn in one episode of season 2, with dolls coming out that same year, and then for some reason she'd be Nubia in season 4, when the line was waning and the Nubia dolls aren't being made....

Plus the doll is very, almost exactly, patterned off of Nubia in the comics, from 1973 or 74...
    Yep, I know all of this and about TV Production with toys and other merchandise produced off of the series.

............Just wanted to share what I heard in interviews around 1992 or so about the TV show and those facts I wrote. Sorry if it does not jibe with 2020 wiki...........

Continue on. I am out.

Yep, I know all of this and about TV Production with toys and other merchandise produced off of the series.

............Just wanted to share what I heard in interviews around 1992 or so about the TV show and those facts I wrote. Sorry if it does not jibe with 2020 wiki...........

Continue on. I am out.
    That's interesting, because I talked to a convention guy, once, who shared a college dorm room with the family of someone, in the NAACP press office, way back in '75. His roomie was dancing all over the place, when he heard there would be a 'black Wonder Woman' on Lynda's show, trying to guess who'd be in the bathing suit. The vender didn't find out, until he asked the TV show people about Nubia, at a convention [Wait for it...], ..way back in the 1990s! Up to then, he said he'd shaken down every black TV actress, but, Weezie on The Jeffersons.

Weezie_wonderwoman.jpg

As with the post-Batmania Nineties, when Geena Davis, Cindy Crawford and Sandra Bullock were all rumored to be suiting up for a WW movie, ..apparently, Teresa Graves wasn't the only actress being considered by TNOAWW's producers, in 1975. Sounds like that was a tiered, top-bottom list, too, ..because it took the guy half a lifetime to get a straight answer out of anybody.

Oh - and now that I know his doll wasn't modeled on anybody famous, I'm glad I didn't buy it. Way too much!
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 08-06-2020 at 08:31 AM. Reason: graphic
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Continue on. I am out.
    The way your statement read is that the scenario you laid out was the only scenario you'd heard ( I ONLY heard) emphasis on only , as opposed to a rumor you'd heard (" I only HEARD") emphasis on the heard...so sorry if there was confusion at this end. But i can see what you meant now

I was just adding why that scenario wouldn't work, from a timing perspective from both industries.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    That's interesting, because I talked to a convention guy, once, who shared a college dorm room with the family of someone, in the NAACP press office, way back in '75. His roomie was dancing all over the place, when he heard there would be a 'black Wonder Woman' on Lynda's show, trying to guess who'd be in the bathing suit. The vender didn't find out, until he asked the TV show people about Nubia, at a convention [Wait for it...], ..way back in the 1990s! Up to then, he said he'd shaken down every black TV actress, but, Weezie on The Jeffersons.

Weezie_wonderwoman.jpg

As with the post-Batmania Nineties, when Geena Davis, Cindy Crawford and Sandra Bullock were all rumored to be suiting up for a WW movie, ..apparently, Teresa Graves wasn't the only actress being considered by TNOAWW's producers, in 1975. Sounds like that was a tiered, top-bottom list, too, ..because it took the guy half a lifetime to get a straight answer out of anybody.

Oh - and now that I know his doll wasn't modeled on anybody famous, I'm glad I didn't buy it. Way too much!
    Wonder Weezie!

Wonder Weezie
    Wonder Weezie
    All the world's waiting for you
    And the power you possess
    In your satin tights,
    Fighting for your rights
    And the old Red, White and Blue.
    Wonder Weezie
    Wonder Weezie
    Now the world is ready for you,
    And the wonders you can do.
    Make a hawk a dove,
    Stop a war with love,
    Make a liar tell the truth
    Wonder Weezie
    Get us out from under, Wonder Weezie
    All our hopes are pinned on you
    And the magic that you do
    Stop a bullet cold,
    Make the Axis fall,
    Change their minds, and change the world
    Wonder Weezie
    Wonder Weezie
    You're a wonder, Wonder Weezie
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    Wonder Weezie!

Wonder Weezie
    Wonder Weezie
    All the world's waiting for you
    And the power you possess
    In your satin tights,
    Fighting for your rights
    And the old Red, White and Blue.
    Wonder Weezie
    Wonder Weezie
    Now the world is ready for you,
    And the wonders you can do.
    Make a hawk a dove,
    Stop a war with love,
    Make a liar tell the truth
    Wonder Weezie
    Get us out from under, Wonder Weezie
    All our hopes are pinned on you
    And the magic that you do
    Stop a bullet cold,
    Make the Axis fall,
    Change their minds, and change the world
    Wonder Weezie
    Wonder Weezie
    You're a wonder, Wonder Weezie

Hee hee... I'm all bout some Wonder Weezie,....lol

Oh, it's " make the Axis fold" ,not " fall"

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post
    Hee hee... I'm all bout some Wonder Weezie,....lol

Oh, it's " make the Axis fold" ,not " fall"
    I didn't even notice it said "fall" instead of "fold"... that's what I get for copying and pasting the lyrics from the Internet!

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    I didn't even notice it said "fall" instead of "fold"... that's what I get for copying and pasting the lyrics from the Internet!
    INTERNETTTTTTTT!!!!! .....* angrily shakes fist at air* lol....usually it's my autocorrect going rogue, so I totally get it....lol

Ps, had to edit this because my autocorrect went rogue...smh

Some Nubia fan art (not mine):