Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Hey the DCFandome panel for the new Nubia book is up, watch it while you can. It does give some indications of what version of Nubia this is going to be and her backstory/connection to Wonder Woman in this book.

spoilers:
    Effectively it’s the pre-crisis origin done modern day, she is literally Wonder Woman’s twin sister, and Wonder Woman will make an appearance.
    end of spoilers

https://www.dcfandome.com/schedule/w...2e?language=en
    Last edited by sifighter; 09-12-2020 at 02:31 PM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Eh, that will either be extremely bad and cringey or extremely weird. It's not really the best origin.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

BANNED

Eh, could be worse.

I mean it really all depends on how you use it, I think it’s for the best they probably go down the route the writer talked about instead of just saying she’s some random girl with connections to the amazons. It probably makes it an easier sales pitch to new readers, “It’s Wonder Woman’s sister” does better then anything else when it comes to marketing.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Campy was the word I was looking for. If you're gonna give WW a black sister, you should make it campy, otherwise I don't think it will work.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

I just listened to the panel, and I think McKinney's take on Nubia as a superhero who is not viewed as a hero most certainly can work. Now, in and of itself this isn't a new thing—Spiderman and Hulk both fit neatly into that mold—but McKinney is explicitly tying that to racism. That type of social commentary is something that comics in general, and Wonder Woman specifically, is in need of.

I can certainly also understand her instinct to make Nubia into Diana's sister—in order to make her as much of a peer to Diana as possible, and not yet another Amazon among many. I hope that she can craft a good backstory for Nubia and Diana.

ETA: Appears I missed that there was an entire Nubia discussion; the above was based on the New Voices of Wonder Woman panel. But the real fangirling and enthusiasm from McKinney and Smith really sells the book to me.
    Last edited by kjn; 09-13-2020 at 05:56 AM.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I just listened to the panel, and I think McKinney's take on Nubia as a superhero who is not viewed as a hero most certainly can work. Now, in and of itself this isn't a new thing—Spiderman and Hulk both fit neatly into that mold—but McKinney is explicitly tying that to racism. That type of social commentary is something that comics in general, and Wonder Woman specifically, is in need of.

I can certainly also understand her instinct to make Nubia into Diana's sister—in order to make her as much of a peer to Diana as possible, and not yet another Amazon among many. I hope that she can craft a good backstory for Nubia and Diana.

ETA: Appears I missed that there was an entire Nubia discussion; the above was based on the New Voices of Wonder Woman panel. But the real fangirling and enthusiasm from McKinney and Smith really sells the book to me.
    What Wonder Woman needs is smart writing and her supporting cast - especially Nubia - haven't received much of that. Tackling racism is admirable but only if it is done well. Hopefully that is the case.

Phil Jimenez shared a charity commission of Nubia he's doing that homages his WW #600 poster.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Campy was the word I was looking for. If you're gonna give WW a black sister, you should make it campy, otherwise I don't think it will work.
    I think it will work just fine. It did the first time, that's why Nubia still popular 45 years later.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I think it will work just fine. It did the first time, that's why Nubia still popular 45 years later.
    Quite true. The first time I saw Nubia, I loved her and the entire idea.

NUBIA 3.jpgsome more Nubia art

NUBIA 4.jpganother Wonderful pic of my Girl.

Astonishing Member

Nubia will have a book in Future State, this makes me glad.

Extraordinary Member

Just to be clear it's not going to be a book, it'll be a story in the oversized Future State: Immortal Wonder Woman anthology book.

FUTURE STATE: IMMORTAL WONDER WOMAN #1
    "Immortal Wonder Woman" written by MICHAEL W. CONRAD and BECKY CLOONAN
    "Immortal Wonder Woman" art by JEN BARTEL
    "Nubia" written by L.L. McKINNEY
    "Nubia" art by ALITHA MARTINEZ and MARK MORALES

cover by JEN BARTEL
    card stock variant cover by PEACH MOMOKO
    ON SALE 1/19/21
    $5.99 US | 48 PAGES | 1 OF 2 | FC | DC
    CARD STOCK VARIANT COVER $6.99 US

The Undoing are coming. Long past the Age of Heroes, few of Diana Prince's friends survive, and most of her sisters have passed as well. As an immortal goddess, this is her lot. But then, a threat appears that even the mighty Darkseid can't handle—and it's up to Wonder Woman to take on the battle! It's big action and high fantasy at the end of time, courtesy of Eisner Award-winning cartoonist Becky Cloonan (By Chance or Providence, Gotham Academy) and her Doom Patrol co-writer Michael W. Conrad, with the popular artist Jen Bartel (Blackbird) making her interior art debut for DC.

Then, peer into a closer future as the original champion of Themyscira strikes out on her own. Things have not been stable on Paradise Island for some time, and Nubia has found a new home in Man's World. Now, she is tasked with protecting it from the dangers of the world of myths and magic. The writer of DC's Nubia: Real One, L.L. McKinney, takes this powerful Amazon to a whole new level.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.