Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Where are the gay/bi men in DC comics?

I know Batwoman is gay, and Wonder Woman is now bi/pan, as if Catwoman, Harley Quinn, and seemingly every woman in Gotham.
    But where are the gay/bi men in DC?
    I know Constantine, yes, and Jericho, but are there any others currently active in any books?
    I can think of several - Ray, Bunker, Earth 2 Alan Scott, Obsidian that aren't active anywhere that I'm aware of.
    It does seem like there's a real lack of representation for gay/bi men, while there's a lot of gay/bi women.
    I love a lot of those women - Wonder Woman, Batwoman, Harley, etc, and I love a lot of straight characters too, those are the characters I grew up with, the ones that made me love comics, when there was no diversity, and that's just how it was. It would be nice to see more gay/bi men all the same.

I'm not sure it's been explicit yet, but I'd bet a bunch of the Legionnaires qualify when Bendis actually gets around to characterization.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I'm not sure it's been explicit yet, but I'd bet a bunch of the Legionnaires qualify when Bendis actually gets around to characterization.
    I expect you're right that some of the Legion will be LGBT - and hopefully that will include some male characters.
    I had hoped that DC would be bold enough to let Jon be gay/bi, but it'll probably be someone in the background unfortunately.
    DC really should have at least one gay male character that gets a little focus, something comparable to what Marvel did with Iceman.

active right now? besides Aqualad over on Aquaman and Young Justice, I believe Bunker was the last known active gay character at DC. Midnighter and Apollo are technically still in the DC universe but they appear to have reintroduced/ rebooted them in Wildstorm universe exclusively.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    active right now? besides Aqualad over on Aquaman and Young Justice, I believe Bunker was the last known active gay character at DC. Midnighter and Apollo are technically still in the DC universe but they appear to have reintroduced/ rebooted them in Wildstorm universe exclusively.
    Aquald, I knew I was forgetting somebody. Thanks for reminding me.
    It would really like to see at least a little gay male representation in the Super and Bat books. It's especially unbalanced in the Bat books where every woman except Barbara Gordon is gay or bi and every man is straight.

Mighty Member

Shvaughn Erin is/was transgender...and was in relationship with Element Lad..

Sorry, but are there really so many females (who are OFFICIALLY!!! Lesbian, bisexual)?
    Renee Montoya and Batwoman yes...but many others are "rumors" or so or?

I wish there was a Secret Six book so we could see Catman and the others again.
    That team was great at LGBTQIA representantion. Next series, I hope Porcellain gets better explored.

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    Aquald, I knew I was forgetting somebody. Thanks for reminding me.
    It would really like to see at least a little gay male representation in the Super and Bat books. It's especially unbalanced in the Bat books where every woman except Barbara Gordon is gay or bi and every man is straight.
    if you could pick one character from the bat or super camp to come out as bi or gay, who would it be, why, and how would you make it make sense inline with their portrayal thus far?
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Mighty Member

if you could pick one character from the bat or super camp to come out as bi or gay, who would it be, why, and how would you make it make sense inline with their portrayal thus far?
    Male and Females?

Actually for the Super- I would rather see a bisexual female character...

Natasha Irons is bisexual or lesbian (was in relationship with Traci13)
    If you count her as kind of Super-Character..

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post

Sorry, but are there really so many females (who are OFFICIALLY!!! Lesbian, bisexual)?
    Wonder Woman is said to be bi, but that may be just Ruka's word, I'm not sure if it's actually said in the comics.
    Harley and Ivy are in a romantic relationship. Maggie Sawyer is gay. Talia is bi. Barbara Gordon's friend was a trans woman who was in a relationship with another woman. Crush is gay. Selina's friend Holly is gay or bi, I'm not sure which. Harper Row is bi. Natasha Irons is bi. Scandal Savage is gay or bi. Julia Pennyworth is bi, as is Hippolyta and probably most of the Amazons.
    Even discounting the Amazons it's clear that there's a lot more women represented in the LGBT in DC than men. And I love most of those characters, I would just like to see more gay/bi men represented to.
    Just about every woman in Bombshells seemed to be gay or bi, that seems to be over now.

Jon and Damien as a couple once Damien catches up with Jon age wise. They would be easy to do as their romantic and sexual histories are pretty much a blank slate.

That version of Erin and Jan haven't been around since 1994 though. All the reboot versions we've seen hasn't addressed Shvaughn as trans or Element Lad as non heterosexual.

Male and Females?

Natasha does count, she's bi and Super.
    I still want a Super gay male character.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    Wonder Woman is said to be bi, but that may be just Ruka's word, I'm not sure if it's actually said in the comics.
    Harley and Ivy are in a romantic relationship. Maggie Sawyer is gay. Talia is bi. Barbara Gordon's friend was a trans woman who was in a relationship with another woman. Crush is gay. Selina's friend Holly is gay or bi, I'm not sure which. Harper Row is bi. Natasha Irons is bi. Scandal Savage is gay or bi. Julia Pennyworth is bi, as is Hippolyta and probably most of the Amazons.
    Even discounting the Amazons it's clear that there's a lot more women represented in the LGBT in DC than men. And I love most of those characters, I would just like to see more gay/bi men represented to.
    Just about every woman in Bombshells seemed to be gay or bi, that seems to be over now.
    Actually it depends which version of characters do you take..

Ray

Apollo-Midnighter
    Aleksandr Creote
    Cullen Row
    Damon Matthews
    Obsidian
    David Singh
    Hartley Rathaway
    Prometheus (posed as Matt Dell to have a relationship with Midnighter)

Male and Females?

bisexual women and lesbian characters are usually quicker to be incorporated in media (male gaze and all that feminist film theory stuff, let's not get into it), so I rather limit it to male characters.

currently following: