Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    Actually it depends which version of characters do you take..

Ray

Apollo-Midnighter
    Aleksandr Creote
    Cullen Row
    Damon Matthews
    Obsidian
    David Singh
    Hartley Rathaway
    Prometheus (posed as Matt Dell to have a relationship with Midnighter)
    That is quite a few if you're just counting heads, but are any of those characters currently active?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    That is quite a few if you're just counting heads, but are any of those characters currently active?
    Cullen is Harpers brother...

David Singh is in the Flash TV Series, in NEW52 etc. he works in the same department as BARRY ALLEN..
    In NEW52 Comics Hartley Rathaway is in relationsip with David Singh.
    In the TV Series Hartley Rathaway is also shown, but not with David Singh but has a boyfriend named Roderick..

The Ray has his own Series: Freedom Fighters: The Ray

Incredible Member

Aqualad and Constantine seem to be the only ones being used at the moment.

If JSA ever gets a book then Obsidian probably will be, unless he's relegated to being literal wallpaper again or something.

Incredible Member

Negative man - not gay or bi but 'everything' - someone will be able to explain the concept of the character as i keep forgetting it.

In the erratic schedule of the currentish doom patrol series.

Quote Originally Posted by iron chimp View Post
    Negative man - not gay or bi but 'everything' - someone will be able to explain the concept of the character as i keep forgetting it.

In the erratic schedule of the currentish doom patrol series.
    On the show he seems to be a closeted gay guy who married a woman and had kids because he felt it was expected of him in that time period.

In the comics when the character became "Rebis" under Morrison, Larry was merged with Dr. Eleanor Poole and they became an intersexed and non binary individual.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    if you could pick one character from the bat or super camp to come out as bi or gay, who would it be, why, and how would you make it make sense inline with their portrayal thus far?
    Bruce Wayne or Damian

Damian

Still young so has a blank slate when it comes to romance in canon
    Being part Arabian it sends a positive message especially to young confused kids struggling with their preference in a culture where the notion of homosexuality is not as progressive as it is in the west
    Could explain some of his issue with inferiority, over compensation and yearning for acceptance.
    adult Damian in canon has either grown up to be in the closet -Multiversity or living with cats-666
    hasn't a clue or outright has been disgusted when girls show romantic feelings towards him - Supersons, TT and Injustice
    Once gave flowers to a boy

Bruce
    Everything in canon. Midnighter is supposed to be a gay Batman and we've seen him have sex in his title yet somehow Bruce/Batman still is sets of my gaydar more than Lucas and has more text and subtext that supports his preference more than Lucas
    Last edited by dietrich; 05-16-2020 at 08:32 AM.

I could definitely see Damian and Jon as gay men when they grow older.
    Damian in particular would be a really interesting direction for all the reasons already stated here.
    I just don't see editorial having the balls to approve such a move. The fan backlash would be enormous. More so than what it was when Marvel did it with Iceman.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    bisexual women and lesbian characters are usually quicker to be incorporated in media (male gaze and all that feminist film theory stuff, let's not get into it), so I rather limit it to male characters.
    You got it.

I was actually thinking about this just yesterday. It's a real shame bi/gay men get so much less. Particularly in animation. Not to say bi/gay women are having a feast out here but there's a noticable difference.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Part of it is that there are only so many power sets you can give characters. Most super-powers have already been used. So if they were to make a new gay character, what power set should they have? If the character is to become popular, you have to make them unique. Apollo and Midnighter are Superman and Batman allegories. Aqualad has similar powers to Mera but that's still someone else's power set. DC doesn't have very many giant size characters. Maybe it could be a character that grows to giant size.
    Assassinate Putin!

DC LGBT though not sure who's active and who's not.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Part of it is that there are only so many power sets you can give characters. Most super-powers have already been used. So if they were to make a new gay character, what power set should they have? If the character is to become popular, you have to make them unique. Apollo and Midnighter are Superman and Batman allegories. Aqualad has similar powers to Mera but that's still someone else's power set. DC doesn't have very many giant size characters. Maybe it could be a character that grows to giant size.
    A giant sized gay would be fun, and that is a power set that's not overused.
    But there's so many Bat and Super characters with the same power set, or in the Bat family, no powers. I can't see where's there room for Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood, Drake, Robin, Huntress, Batwoman, Batgirl, and every other hanger on in Gotham, but not room for one more.
    Same with Superman, Supergirl, Connor and Jon.
    And as it's been said, Jon and Damien aren't really established as heterosexual anyways, although despite my hopes I do doubt DC would be bold enough to make one of them gay.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post
    DC LGBT though not sure who's active and who's not.

I think we've established that out of all those characters only Aqulad and Constantine are active. I'm not sure about Jericho.

Don't think Jericho has been active for a while but i could be wrong though.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    Wonder Woman is said to be bi, but that may be just Ruka's word, I'm not sure if it's actually said in the comics.
    Harley and Ivy are in a romantic relationship. Maggie Sawyer is gay. Talia is bi. Barbara Gordon's friend was a trans woman who was in a relationship with another woman. Crush is gay. Selina's friend Holly is gay or bi, I'm not sure which. Harper Row is bi. Natasha Irons is bi. Scandal Savage is gay or bi. Julia Pennyworth is bi, as is Hippolyta and probably most of the Amazons.
    Even discounting the Amazons it's clear that there's a lot more women represented in the LGBT in DC than men. And I love most of those characters, I would just like to see more gay/bi men represented to.
    Just about every woman in Bombshells seemed to be gay or bi, that seems to be over now.
    Talia is news to me. When did that happen?

For what it's worth, Helena, Cass and Steph are straight too as far as I know so your statement is a bit skewed.

Yeah, we need Obsidian back. I think Tim and Conner would work as an "it's cool if it's you" thing. While I don't really see either as gay, I think they could make an exception for each other.

I was in the camp which was for Jon being gay/bi, but not with Damien. I really hate that kid and Jon deserves someone who will treat him well instead of some gaslighting prick who will mistreat him and say he's special.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Talia is news to me. When did that happen?.
    I think Talia was depicted in like an orgy type situation with men and women when she popped up in King's Batman run.