Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default Why are their so many “flying bricks” in the DCU

Why are flying, super strong and super fast characters so common in the DCU? Between Superman and all the other kryptonians, Daxamites, the Shazam family, Wonderwoman, Martians and probably a bunch of other unrelated characters it seems like an overly common power set. Marvel has a similar issue with mentalists, but in their case that’s limited to mutants. I think it due to the fact that they have Superman, but that makes it even more confusing. Your not going to out ”Superman” Superman. So you end up with Clark and a bunch of Superman-lites. It’s almost like flying brick is the power set people go with when they don’t want to be creative and think up new powers.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Why are flying, super strong and super fast characters so common in the DCU? Between Superman and all the other kryptonians, Daxamites, the Shazam family, Wonderwoman, Martians and probably a bunch of other unrelated characters it seems like an overly common power set. Marvel has a similar issue with mentalists, but in their case that’s limited to mutants. I think it due to the fact that they have Superman, but that makes it even more confusing. Your not going to out ”Superman” Superman. So you end up with Clark and a bunch of Superman-lites. It’s almost like flying brick is the power set people go with when they don’t want to be creative and think up new powers.
    For what it's worth, it's the easiest power set to not require explanations for why someone wasn't flattened in any crossover. When you already have Superman, Wonder Woman, so on and forth, making your character a flying brick ensures they can play in the big leagues and therefore have more exposure and chances to appear in other media.

And you can do Superman things without wrestling with his myth, which even the man of steel buckles under from time-to-time.

In a franchise built around beating people up, it helps to have heroes who can take a punch.

If you want your character to play with the grown up fast, you need to give him/her something to make him able to endure it. And unlike Batman - and to a lesser extent Green Arrow - he can't be a normal human holding a candle here because he isn't Batman. So, what powers do you give him/her ?

The flying brick set (flight, super-stength, near-invulnerability) is basically the easy answer. You can add energy manipulation/projection (Starfire, Naomi), mind powers (Martian Manhunter), phasing (again, MM), etc. btu even with just the basic set, peoples wouldn't be too angry at your character landing a punch on Darkseid/Kalibak/Mongul, etc. Or receiving a punch from those and surviving.

You just answered your own question.
    It’s because of Superman that there are so many, and since no character of that type is allowed to outdo him, DC has become home to multiple Superman-lites.
    And really, any Superman fan will be quick to point out, even if the flying brick is from another Company, he’s a Superman-lite.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    And really, any Superman fan will be quick to point out, even if the flying brick is from another Company, he’s a Superman-lite.
    That's your opinion but i disagree with it.
    Here some examples of who i consider more powerful then superman who are flying bricks in dc and in some other companies.
    The Spectre, Thor,blue marvel,current cosmic thor, sentry,merged sentry,silver surfer,gladiator,captain universe,hickmen's hyperion,king hyperion etc.. are flying bricks and they are not superman lite.
    Even in dc i consider icon more powerful then superman.
    Same strength level and has more powers but not has much feats because he has not been use as much.

Superhuman Strength: Icon possesses vast strength due to the maximization of his DNA and alien heritage. He can lift over 100 tons effortlessly. Due to his alien heritage and the maximization of his potential as a human being, he has near limitless strength shown to at least be equal to Superman. At one point, he punched Superman out of the Watchtower 50ft into space. Later, Superman admitted that nobody including Darkseid ever hit him that hard.
    Silver surfer
    Flight Speed: Prior to his upgrade, the Silver Surfer was one of the fastest beings in the universe, but he was greatly outmatched by the Runner of the Elders of the Universe. Currently, he is faster than Beta Ray Bill and Nova.
    The Spectre and supreme could fly and they are more powerful then superman.
    Marvel has the eternals.
    Some equal to superman or more powerful then superman,and some not as powerful.

Anyway marvel does have lot of flying bricks too.

Check out the links below.
    THREAD: MARVEL'S SUPERMAN ANALOGS: WHICH IS YOUR FAVORITE?
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...favorite/page6

THREAD: DO MODERN MARVEL WRITERS HATE THOR?
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...23#post4944023
    Last edited by mace11; 05-16-2020 at 07:47 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Here is a list of some of marvel's flying bricks.

Can any of you guys think of any other "flying brick" heroes in the M.U. around roughly this lvl? (self.Marvel)
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Marvel/comm..._other_flying/
    Last edited by mace11; 05-16-2020 at 03:37 PM.

Ooookay...

The main contenders are there because of what their designs originally were. While the modern take is to make 'flawed' , relatable heroes for grown ups back when Supes, Cap, and WW were created it was all about that Can Do spirit snd the limitlessness of the imagination. So all of them soon added flight to their array of superhuman versions of every trait humanity had. Later heroes would essentially copy those and so had all the powers the originals had with various deviations for flavor (with coolest one IMO being Martian Manhunter)

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Ooookay...

Right? I get you brah, I'll field this one... that wasn't "YOUR" opinion at all but referencing the superman boards kinda. Further what you meant by superman-lite had much less to do with "What some writer said they can do, life 1000000^100 tons!" or whatever but more a matter of "notoriety" and "popularity". Ala - "I ordered a Dr.Pepper!" met with "Sorry sir, we don't carry Dr.Pepper we carry Mr.Pibb instead."

And no... as a Captain Atom, and a Shazam fan... no... no of them is allowed to out do him. Even the Martian Manhunter who should stomp... its always Kal-el.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

You sir. Asked very perplexing question. The answer is lack of imagination. Superman himself became flying brick cause dc doesn't care.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    You sir. Asked very perplexing question. The answer is lack of imagination. Superman himself became flying brick cause dc doesn't care.
    I know it's an old post, but that couldn't be further from the truth. He became a flying brick because they did care. When Supes first debuted he couldn't fly. He was bullet proof yes but could be hurt by bursting shells of larger weapons. He was fast but only sonic fast. He got the upgrades of flight and greater speed etc ŕonly after Catp Marvel debuted in 1940 and was outselling him

The short answer is you have all 3 of the original Can Do characters under one company banner.

Extraordinary Member

Much of the above, plus less fight choreography that needs to be included. Just fly and punch.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.