Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Mighty Member Kuro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,059

    Default Super Sentai Universe VS Kamen Rider Universe

    Soooo, I've been watching a lot of Sentai clips lately due to the lockdowns and so on and I've always wondered how these two universes would do in a gigantic rumble against each other.

    Think of it also as an appreciation/feat thread.

    (And if you have Chodenshi Bioman clips, please, for the love of God, post them)

  2. #2
    Extraordinary Member Cyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,874

    Default

    The lines have blurred over the past decade or so, but it used to be that a Rider was more or less equivalent to a main Ranger team because both shows would essentially have the same types of feats, the difference being either solo or spread amongst the team.

    Some crossovers do quite well in scaling each other. Shinkenger and Decade's crossover showed a pretty even team-up between 3 Riders and 6 Rangers. Subsequent crossovers would paint the sixth ranger as within the same league as a Rider, but maybe (maybe) on the lower end depending on the lineup -- the Kamen Rider/Sentai/Metal Hero taisen crossover showed Gokai Silver being strong enough to hang with two Riders against a Metal Hero, albeit Silver performed the worst in that fight.

    And sometimes the Red Ranger can fulfill that role. Due to Red being the star of the show generally, the plot and Rule of Cool often demands the Red Ranger and matching Rider to be equals, though only in one-on-one fights. In the otherwise exclusive Kamen Rider War, Kyoryu Red -- the only Ranger in the final battle -- didn't have many feats, implying he was arguably one of the weakest there -- since it wasn't a one on one fight but rather -- but still powerful enough to lend the Riders a welcome hand. He wasn't to be counted out. In the setup, the original 3 Riders drove away a villain that utterly dominated the 5 main Toqger.

    I'm cautious about the first large scale crossover though (Kamen Rider vs. Super Sentai Superhero Taisen) because it turned out that almost every face off was actually staged as part of a long game. For the final battle, though, Rangers and Riders teamed up with comparable feats once again.

    So for basic powerlevels, Sentai have a numbers advantage while the Riders generally have more concentrated power. At that point, it then boils down to esoterica and diversity of powersets, but even then they're pretty well matched.

    However, Sentai mechas haven't been banned in this thread, so if they have those, they'll likely win, especially since many of them are just as diverse (magic, superspeed, AoEs, etc).
    Last edited by Cyke; 05-17-2020 at 04:00 AM.

  3. #3
    "Stegosaurus!" OrangeRangerPete's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Sunshine Coast
    Posts
    77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kuro View Post
    Soooo, I've been watching a lot of Sentai clips lately due to the lockdowns and so on and I've always wondered how these two universes would do in a gigantic rumble against each other.
    And, if you can track it down, they did actually film a Kamen Rider/Super Sentai crossover movie which featured everybody fighting everybody. And the GoBusters got invited to that crossover, which was great, because they'd been left out of the 199 Gokaiger/Goseiger movie.

    (there was a second big crossover involving the Riders and Sentai teams, and this one involved IIRC the Metal Heroes, but I don't remember that one, although I know I've watched it)
    Australian adventurer, and Orange Ranger.

  4. #4
    Extraordinary Member Cyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,874

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeRangerPete View Post
    And, if you can track it down, they did actually film a Kamen Rider/Super Sentai crossover movie which featured everybody fighting everybody. And the GoBusters got invited to that crossover, which was great, because they'd been left out of the 199 Gokaiger/Goseiger movie.

    (there was a second big crossover involving the Riders and Sentai teams, and this one involved IIRC the Metal Heroes, but I don't remember that one, although I know I've watched it)
    Hiya, Pete!

    To follow up, the first Rider/Sentai crossover movie with the GoBusters was the one I referred to above in which most of the fights were staged, so they should be taken with a grain of salt. However, even if so, it still lead to some great comparisons between the two sides:



    For the most part, it seems that whatever one side can come up with, the other side has a match or counter.

    (interesting to think, too, that both sides also have dimension dumping! So then it begs the question of whether one side can escape the other, or if their methods/dimensions are too incompatible to allow it.)

    The Rider/Sentai/Metal Hero is where Gokai Silver was shown to hang with two Riders and a Metal Hero. Not bad considering that one of those Riders was Wizard, who's basically Kamen Rider + a more elemental version of Doctor Strange.

  5. #5
    Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    6,040

    Default

    I feel like we need to talk about Hyper Clock Up.

    I can't think of many rangers who get that fast that easily.
    Twitter
    Tumblr
    Follow my social media for animations and art and junk.
    Art Thread on CBR

  6. #6
    Extraordinary Member Cyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,874

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I feel like we need to talk about Hyper Clock Up.

    I can't think of many rangers who get that fast that easily.
    That's ok, Peter's here!

  7. #7
    "Stegosaurus!" OrangeRangerPete's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Sunshine Coast
    Posts
    77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Hiya, Pete!
    Hiya Cyke!

    Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I feel like we need to talk about Hyper Clock Up.

    I can't think of many rangers who get that fast that easily.
    The thing about the Rangers is there's a lot more of them. For the vast majority of them, their basic powers aren't more than durability, super-strength and weapons-summoning.

    But ... the Mystic Force Rangers had a specific speed spell (which gave them super-speed), the Gold Ranger had his gold-rush attack (and the Galaxy Rangers, once they'd powered up with the Lights of Orion, had something similiar). For the Ninja Storm team, super-speed was a basic power (even while unmorphed. There was shots of the unmorphed Rangers bouncing across the city in the blink of an eye), and a good old-fashioned speed blitz was the opening gambit, any time the Thunder Brothers showed up to a fight. The Turbo Rangers had super-speed to travel, but I don't recall them using it in a fight. And the Time Force Rangers slowed down or stopped time, as a gimmick, which is pretty much the same thing.

    Conner and Ronny had super-speed unmorphed (Ronny maxed out at bounce-across-the-landscape-in-a-second like the NS team), but I don't recall them using it while morphed. This was back when Disney wanted unmorphed powers because the kids at home would be too threatened by their heroes in danger without powers.
    Australian adventurer, and Orange Ranger.

  8. #8
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeRangerPete View Post
    And, if you can track it down, they did actually film a Kamen Rider/Super Sentai crossover movie which featured everybody fighting everybody. And the GoBusters got invited to that crossover, which was great, because they'd been left out of the 199 Gokaiger/Goseiger movie.

    (there was a second big crossover involving the Riders and Sentai teams, and this one involved IIRC the Metal Heroes, but I don't remember that one, although I know I've watched it)
    there have been like 4 of them. the last one i think was in 2017 which i watched recently - the chou super hero taisen.
    the first super hero taisen
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHZr1Pvvrow

    the 2nd super hero taisen which involves the metal heroes space sheriff
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVKi2Vb3SO4&t=143s

    the 3rd super hero taisen which is mainly kamen riders with cameos from ninniger
    https://kissasian.sh/Drama/Super-Her...?id=13968&s=fe

    chou superhero taisen
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGTTBBtpezo

    then there's the heisei vs showa which is the civil war of kamen riders where the original eras rider go against the newer era riders featuring guest cameos from super sentai
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v3wFxDcnqE

    for individual teamups between super sentai and kamen riders.
    decade was the firsr kamen rider series to have a crossover with super sentai shinkenger aka samurai which makes sense since kamen rider decade is a rider that moves between dimensions. 2nd crossover was between super sentai toqger and kamen rider gam when toqger travel to the world of gaim and that special leads to heisei vs showa
    https://tokusatsu.fandom.com/wiki/Re...bining_Special


    then there's Ninninger vs. Drive Spring Special Vacation which leads to the third super hero taisen gp
    https://archive.org/details/sub---Ki..._1573577844761
    Last edited by marshal88; 05-19-2020 at 12:55 AM.

  9. #9
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I feel like we need to talk about Hyper Clock Up.

    I can't think of many rangers who get that fast that easily.
    i just rewatched the first superhero taisen. kabuti clock up speed was countered by go buster red.

    go buster red was on team speed in the super sentai strongest battle 4 part special but sadly we never got to see their fights.
    https://kissasian.sh/Drama/4-Week-Co...?id=43601&s=hd

  10. #10
    Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    6,040

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marshal88 View Post
    i just rewatched the first superhero taisen. kabuti clock up speed was countered by go buster red.

    go buster red was on team speed in the super sentai strongest battle 4 part special but sadly we never got to see their fights.
    https://kissasian.sh/Drama/4-Week-Co...?id=43601&s=hd
    Was it Hyper Clock Up though?

    Clock Up is extremely fast but, I don't think, beyond some of the speed oriented Sentai.

    Hyper Clock Up is fast enough to do time travel and beat up dudes who treat Clock Up like it's a literal statue. It's a big upgrade by a few orders of magnitude.
    Twitter
    Tumblr
    Follow my social media for animations and art and junk.
    Art Thread on CBR

  11. #11
    i blow u kis Yun Lao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,349

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Was it Hyper Clock Up though?

    Clock Up is extremely fast but, I don't think, beyond some of the speed oriented Sentai.

    Hyper Clock Up is fast enough to do time travel and beat up dudes who treat Clock Up like it's a literal statue. It's a big upgrade by a few orders of magnitude.
    Yeah, Hyper Clock Up is probably the closest one can get to a full-time stop (one might have initially considered it actually stops time as well, but Hyper Kabuto fought a worm whose power was just that). That said, Hyper Clock Up just casually smears timelines around considering it's done things like negating the fact it was destroyed (either by a previous version of itself going into the future or whatnot, hard to tell considering Tendou's explanation was narcissistic poetry-waxing like usual), duplicating itself (Hyper Movie so probably non-canon) and as Nik mentioned, letting its user time travel (while pushing a meteor, if my memory serves me right).

  12. #12
    Extraordinary Member Cyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,874

    Default

    There's another thing we'd have to take into a context -- hyperbole. DekaBreak is said to be FTL, but the audience sees everything at normal speed, and like the Flash, he still gets hurt by non-speedsters. And in the Gokaiger vs. Gavan henshin, the narrator says the Gokaigers' henshin is faster than Gavan's (ok) but that it's so fast it happens in milliseconds (ehhh). Even if you cut out the usual henshin transformation scenes and just have a straight henshin (like Gokai Red vs. Decade up there), it's still very clearly more than a few milliseconds.

    I'm not saying Hyper Clock Up isn't legit or talking about it specifically, it's just that Toei tends to love taking a Silver Age approach to our heroes' powers.

  13. #13
    Rumbles Moderator Guy1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    13,404

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    There's another thing we'd have to take into a context -- hyperbole. DekaBreak is said to be FTL, but the audience sees everything at normal speed, and like the Flash, he still gets hurt by non-speedsters. And in the Gokaiger vs. Gavan henshin, the narrator says the Gokaigers' henshin is faster than Gavan's (ok) but that it's so fast it happens in milliseconds (ehhh). Even if you cut out the usual henshin transformation scenes and just have a straight henshin (like Gokai Red vs. Decade up there), it's still very clearly more than a few milliseconds.

    I'm not saying Hyper Clock Up isn't legit or talking about it specifically, it's just that Toei tends to love taking a Silver Age approach to our heroes' powers.
    To be fair with Break, he explicitly needs to power up the throttle to get his powers going.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •